Large Scale Central

My CNC Router Build

Very cool Chuck!

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Chuck,

How you gonna handle all the chips coming off this baby?

Probably with a broom and a dust pan. I doubt he has servants

David Russell said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Chuck,

Rooster,

There are people who are a bit more high-tech and they usually use a fairly sophisticated system to keep the shop and environs clean. Not least with having a computer, keyboard, monitor and all the other stuff close to the machine.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

David Russell said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Chuck,

Rooster,

There are people who are a bit more high-tech and they usually use a fairly sophisticated system to keep the shop and environs clean. Not least with having a computer, keyboard, monitor and all the other stuff close to the machine.

That may be but I still think it’s a sweet CNC router build as looks awesome to me! Are you one of those people you speak of Hans? If you are then I’m jealous as I ain’t got nothing like Chuck and yourself have !

who’s control system are you using and cad cam software?

Yes Rooster.

We actually have a Next Wave Automation Shark Pro Plus in the shop.

Chuck’s build looks very clean and sturdy. I’ve seen a few DIY builds that looked jury rigged i.e. the kind of stuff where I ask myself “How long will that last?”.

All legacy issues from my previous life.

Chuck’s certainly looks professional!

Hans I see in a couple the first pictures a nice size dust collector, I have a collector on mine with great results, including for the fiberglass.
Dennis

If it would be OK for one to be just a bit envious of you guys and your new “toys”, I think I would be… That’s great, Chuck…

You’ve installed your new “toy” (although probably not the right description), JJ over on MLS has a new Electric/Gas welder and Dennis Rayon has a whole CNC shop…

Gee, I only have 2 Dremels and a handy knife :frowning: :slight_smile: :wink:

Have a great deal of fun with it…

Thanks Dennis, I was fixated on that machine frame.

A double unit should do the job, with the hose swiveled from the ceiling.

Yes HJ the double vacuum system you see in the first few pictures will be hooked up to the CNC router, the jointer/planner, and the table saw. The first thing you learn in owning a cabinet shop is that “DUST” is not your friend. It will kill you and your equipment faster then being used every day.

The rigidity of this machine comes from the combination of the 8020 aluminum extrusion and the welded frame it’s attached to. I did alot of research before going with this company because just like HJ said there are alot of very flimsy DIY machines out there that won’t hold any kind of tolerances. Being a machinist for many years that means alot to me. Not to mention that this is also the platform that my 3D printer head will be attached to eventually.

Daniel@ the machine operates on Mach 3. My design software is V-Carve Pro. I can do my own designs or import drawing files. This software allows me to select my tooling, the type of operation to perform, and then converts everything into the “G” code needed to run the machine. I only wish I had upgraded to the next level up before I had to close my business because I can’t design in 3D.

Hopefully I’ll be cutting things in the next week or two. The weather will be in the mid 40’s by the end of this next week so it won’t cost me an arm and a leg to heat the shop. Next winter the shop will have a pellet stove and lots of heat.

Chuck

I use a free program called G-Simple to generate the Mach 3 G-code for my Shopmaster Mill/Drill/Lathe. Your stepper/servo motors look nice and beefy!

Boy time does fly when you’re having fun, at least thats the saying I remember. Thought I’d bring this back up to the front as I’ve got everything running finally. My son-in-law helped me finish connecting all the vacuum system up last week. I got all the hold down holes cut in the MDF spoil board over the weekend and I will finish the holes in the plywood base today so I can install the threaded inserts for my hold down clamps.

I will post some pictures later today and a short video if I can figure out how to transferr the video from my smart phone to the computer.

Chuck

cool!

Great stuff! I am really looking forward to seeing this thing fired up. I so want one of these.

Well as promised here are a few pictures of my completed machine. I finished drilling all the holes in the plywood base today. Tomorrows plan is to install the treaded inserts and replace the MDF spoil board on top of the plywood base.

The first picture shows the completed machine. On the far right you can see a portion of the dust collection system.

![|800x450](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/Completed Machine_1_1.JPG)

The second picture shows the dust collection system and off to the right is the computer control station.

![|800x450](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/Dust Collection System_1_1.JPG)

The last picture shows the side of the machine with all the electronics. The black box with the orange cables coming out of it houses the spindle control electronics. It allows me to adjust the rpm on my router from 5000 to 27000 for different tools.

![|450x800](http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cncrr/Spindle Control Box_1_1.JPG)

I took another video today but I don’t know how to get it from my smart phone to my computer. My son is going to help me later this week so hopefully I can post it showing the machine running.

Chuck Inlow said:

I took another video today but I don’t know how to get it from my smart phone to my computer. My son is going to help me later this week so hopefully I can post it showing the machine running.

LMAO !!! you can build this but the phone is too smart for you! :slight_smile:

Very nice Chuck! You are going to have some fun with that. I’ll second your initiative to keep the shop clean. I hate dust.

I have an 80’s Bridgeport BOSS milling machine that I am going to convert using Mach as well. Have you had a chance to play with the software much? Like it so far? The Kit I’m getting is actually from a company called Mach Motion. It will come with the front end PC Mach software break out card and new stepper motor drivers. Your build just serves as more inspiration.

And just think Chuck and I are practically neighbors… Can I come over and play???

Good stuff Chuck!

What will be the first work piece after the test pieces?

Hi HJ, nice to see you back. Actually I’ll be cutting out some candy canes and bows for a friend. The candy canes were simple to draw in V-Carve Pro but the bows were a little harder. He dropped off 4 sheets of plywood yesterday so tomorrow I need to cut them in half and start cutting. I’ll take some pictures while the machine is running and post them later.

Chuck