Large Scale Central

Moved indoors

That calming weather has helped us a lot! Fire guys have even dropped our possible evacuation and so peace has returned. Containment has jumped to about 34 percent! A happy day!

Doug Arnold said:

That calming weather has helped us a lot! Fire guys have even dropped our possible evacuation and so peace has returned. Containment has jumped to about 34 percent! A happy day!

Hey Doug,

I checked the US Forest Service site at eight this morning and it’s now 38% contained! THAT number is going in the right direction :). Now largest wildfire in California since 1900. Now sits at 185 square miles burned as of this morning’s update. Talked to my son and daughter-in-law this afternoon and they are starting to see a difference in the smoke in Wrightwood. They also said that the town is full of dozers, other heavy equipment and structure protection strike teams. Looks like Wrightwood will be where the fight will be. The crews have forced the fire back up to the top of Pinyon Ridge where they have been attacking it with aerial tankers and Foschek all day.

I sure hope they can get ahead of it this weekend. Santa Ana winds are returning next week.

Vic Smith said:

I sure hope they can get ahead of it this weekend. Santa Ana winds are returning next week.

Hey Vic,

Because we have property involved in this fire, I receive updates on my cell phone twice a day. This morning, we had good news because containment jumped to 50% last night. About thirty minutes ago, I received another text from the USFS saying they were laying stronger containment hand lines all through the night and all day today. Mop ups are even starting around Mt. Wilson and the observatory.

On a side note, this fire has been under investigation ever since it started on September 6 late in the afternoon. Last night, the L.A. Times reported that So. Cal. Edison’s equipment near Cogswell Dam is under suspicion as what started the fire. Their “Incident Reports” were confiscated early in the investigation. A report filed by Edison to the Public Utilities Commission showed that Edison thought they had a “minor incident” around the time of the start of the Bobcat Fire, but just took it as a “glitch”. Witnesses said they observed smoke in the area quite a while before Edison actually reported it to the USFS Fire. BTW, Edison equipment started the Station Fire in the same area about 11 years ago. The Station Fire burn scar is actually what kept THIS fire from coming down into Pasadena!

The winds have stayed calm in Pinon Hills so far. Fire has jumped in two small places but nothing the fire guys couldn’t halt.
If we get any wind it will blow the fire back to the south side!

The winds have stayed calm in Pinon Hills so far. Fire has jumped in two small places but nothing the fire guys couldn’t halt.

Doug Arnold said:

My son in Wrightwood, just texted that the winds are “almost” calm there now. The Santa Ana’s are supposed to begin at 3PM PDT today and continue through tomorrow. The eastern extreme edge of the fire (affecting Wrightwood) is now working it’s way back down Dorr Canyon (to the southwest) is actually burning on itself. There is a pretty good size stream or creek in that canyon which is helping firefighters (according to the text I received this morning from USFS. The fire is now 65% contained. Full containment is not expected until after September 30th and probably not until almost Halloween!!

Another huge wildfire in northern California, just started this morning at 4AM and is now threatening most of the major wineries in Napa County. Called the Glass Fire for Glass Mountain in Napa. Nancy Pelosi and Governor Gavin Newsom own huge wineries in this area. There is not much of California left to burn at this rate :(.