Large Scale Central

More Redwood Cliffhangers

Those are super nice siding boards Dennis. Another potential element to a great kit. Did you also laser your doors / windows?

Nest technique with the router. Also, did you pre-cut the strips on the table saw?

Cliff

Finished Product

Thanks for following

Dennis

Cliff

Yes I did laser the windows and doors

Yes cut on tablesaw

Dennis Rayon said:

I have wanted to make board and batt siding in individual boards for quite some time, so I spent 2 hours one Saturday cut 140 feet and

ran through a router table twice, making it was successful and fulfilling.

Very nice Dennis. I picked up a used router table for $20 (with a router!) last fall and I have yet to use it. This would be perfect application for a first project. Not having any experience milling on a table, can you give me a few clues as to the process? I understand that it is two passes, and can probably guess at a bit, but I’m wondering how you support the work piece beyond the bit while making the wide pass.

John

Go back and look at the picture of the router set up, the wooden fingers holds the pieces in place while running. When routing pieces this

small the wooden fingers are cut down to 1/4" thick. The wooden fingers flex as the piece is pushed through.

Wooden fingers are cut along the grain, and the end is cut approximately on a 45 degree

Piece 2 pushes through piece 1, piece 3 pushes through piece 2 and , 4 pushes through 3 and so on.

All the pieces are cut through a 10" table saw.

Thanks Dennis. I’m familiar with finger boards. I use them on my table saw. So I guess the question changes to; When routing the wide cut (face of siding relieved below the batten); the finger board(s) are enough to support the piece beyond the bit where only the batten is left?

I’m pretty sure you are going to answer yes; I just didn’t think the fingers alone would do this without something for the finished piece to rest on where the cut has been made.

I see now John what you are talking about, yes I used double sided tape and taped a small thin piece of wood to the table. This carried the siding with the gap on the bottom.

That was a very good question John.

Thanks Dennis

John to further your comment, here is the piece I was talking about, I sanded a slight taper on the top to allow the siding the needed room to ease up on top of the piece.

As a fellow wood worker and model railroader this thread is firing on all 8 cylinders. First love the board and batten idea. Never would have thought of that. Second I also very much appreciate your safety. Wooden fingers are much easier to replace than fleshy ones and plus the simple finger board makes a much more positive force on the wood and yields consistent results. And the support broad on the back is a great idea also. Love seeing great on the fly set ups.

Great work all the way around. I will be mimicking your cliff hangers on my indoor. and maybe even some on the outdoor. For my outdoor they would be very prototypical.

Very interesting work and beautiful results.

Dennis, your cliffhanger sure turned out gorgeous!

Here’s a prototype photo I ran across on the net, made me think of your buildings.

Cliff Jennings said:

Dennis, your cliffhanger sure turned out gorgeous!

Here’s a prototype photo I ran across on the net, made me think of your buildings.

Cliff, that’s what’s left of the Crystal mine here in Colorado outside of Marble. I almost chose it for my build for last year’s challenge, but opted for the Yankee Girl Mine instead. I still have an urge to model the Crystal. If anybody shares this urge, let me know because I have a lot of pictures of it I’d be happy to give you, including descriptions or pictures of its true function and the parts that have disintegrated with time.

An amazing structure, Joe. Is that “tower” a housing for a shaft down to the water wheel or turbine?

(I don’t mean to sidetrack Dennis’ thread, but I had to ask).

Cliff

Well, Cliff, no one ever called me Joe before…lots of other names though, and I have several cousins named Joe after our grandfather. Technically speaking, the Crystal mine (or mill) is the Sheep Mountain power house, housing an air compressor powered by water. There used to be a water wheel in the rubble you see below fed by the shaft that’s more or less still there. The whole construction powered drills and other tools in the mines.

Sorry John!! (where did I get ‘Joe’ from!?) And thanks for the info.

Another Family needs a cabin, so we threw one together to keep the rain off their heads, (we hope), I hear a few more families are coming so this is #2 of a few to come.

I use thin aluminum for the roof decking, in the event of raining weather it keeps the structure dry.

This one has board and batt siding for the roof

Well those certainly ought to keep the families warm and dry. Great work.

I’m very impressed with your houses Dennis. Simple but elegant in their own way.

Doc Watson

Thanks Doc, I love your description, simple but elegant, KEEP WATCHING,

I will continue to create more simple elegance.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-kiss.gif)

Dennis

I could use two or three frames…

I love the look of the structures!