Large Scale Central

Making of Old Joe

front

rear

Time to get back to work on Old Joe. With the Christmas crowd gone and the stuff put away figured it was time to get back to the construction of Old Joe. Never really stopped work but had only been piddling with guests here and medical issues, I had painted the engineer/fireman, and weathered the engine a little. Got tied up with the LSC MIK challenge but think I can do both just have to do a little juggling. Yesterday I got the new motor installed in the motor block and got the block reinstalled in the chassis which allowed me to start assembly of the boiler, side tanks and cab with wood chute. At the same time I ran wiring from the front head light back to the rear along with the motor wires. When I got done I powered it up on the roller bearings and it runs like a champ. The firewood bunker is real neat as it just slides on to the back of the cab and is all hollow back there leaving enough room to make up the wiring which I still have to do. Placed the engineer/fireman in the cab and he looks great, more to come, Bill

side of OJfrontleft side

That is one decrepit old lookin engine. ya dun good!..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Dang Bill, that has turned out to be a good looking loco. Fine work.

Thanks Dan & Ken, been a fun build

Thanks Dan & Ken, been a fun build

Good rebuild Bill. It gives that well used feeling. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Used isn’t quite right more like me ancient, lol thanks Bill

Used isn’t quite right more like me ancient, lol thanks Bill

Ah, she is a working engine, and shows that she has worked hard for her living. Unlike those painted princesses that pull them named passenger trains.

Bill,

As ever, I am dumbfounded by your ability to turn “junk” in you parts bin into working art for your railroad!

Eric

Beautifully Ugly, nicely done Bill.

Dan, thanks that is the best description I’ve had, Bill

Bill

Are you going to weather it ?

No I think I will leave it new and pristine looking like it just came out of the box, LOL

right riderear

front

Old Joe, with the MIK challenge finish I have returned to unfinished projects and being as the least amount of work required was on Old Joe I worked on him. Got the number plate finished along with the whistle, wired up both lights and secured all the screws then tested and it works, fun build, now I have a small industrial steam switch made out of old scrap parts. Billleft

Had a email

Had a question on what I built it from and that was all covered in the build but so one doesn’t have to read it all over her is the short version

He is a combination of parts left from previous builds. Cab is 2 rear sections of Lionel 0-6-0 gold rush special which were left over from my Mason Bogie build, along with the roof and fuel bunker, boiler is PVC fittings, side tanks came from a cut down LGB 2017 that were left from “Rosy’s” saddle tanker build, lights came from a LGB 2010 that I built into a Forney, steam dome is a PVC pipe cap, whistle is parts from a electrical connector, left over bell, smoke stack was made from brass 1/4" pipe, firebox is left from my Spreewalt that was the chassis donor for my Mason Bogie build, cab steps were from an old LGB European low side gondola, water fill hatch off a Bachmann 4-6-0 tender from my 2-6-2 prairie build, the chassis and Kadee couplers are new and the bolsters are front is from the rear of the 4-6-0 tender and the rear came from the back on a aristo sloped back tender, Fun build

that is one beautifully abused locos. I love it.

You always say the nicest things, LOL