Large Scale Central

Linear>PWC?

Measure the antenns length and just use a flexible wire in its place.

Result is the antenna will almost always be vertical and this will improve transmission of the RF.

Ever see a horizontal radio or tv antenna, no way. Micro wave are horizontal as the signal is directed to a receiver.

So, an antenna broadcasts a signal in a radial pattern from the length and when you hold the transmitter wqith the antenna horizontal, a lot of the signal goes up into thin air.

It’s funny just how rugged and long lived that original 27 MHz system was.

There must be some rubber duckies that can fit in place. The issue is you want one “tuned” for 27 MHz, and that frequency is so low, that 1/4 wavelength (what a plain wire would be for an antenna) is 109". So for a ducky to work well, it has to actually have a spiral of wire inside about that long. I’m sure they were made at some time, for CB radios.

By the way Dan, microwaves are not horizontal, nor are they vertical. The polarization of a radio wave is set by the transmitting antenna, and you want the receiving antenna to be the same polarization.

And TV antennas are INDEED horizontally polarized, basically a yagi, a dipole with directors in front of the driven element and reflectors behind.

all of those elements are horizontal. The driven element is right behind the little V at the front (left side). The different lengths catch the different frequencies, since the TV band spans such a wide range in frequency. The longer rods pick up the lower frequencies.

(Channel 2 is 54 MHz, the right hand most rods, so 27 MHz would be almost twice as long)

Oh, a vertical antenna, like a whip, transmits something between a horizontal torus (doughnut shaped) and a conical shape (standing on it’s point), depending if you have a 1/4 wave, 1/2 wave/ 5/8 wave, etc, below is a typical “rubber duckie” although they vary wildly. You can see the doughnut shape in the vertical view (as if you standing beside someone looking at them, the horizontal view is from the sky down at the ground)

Just some interesting (I hope) derailment

Joe Zullo said:

My club uses the rubber ducky antenna with no range problems and that RR is much bigger than mine, so it should be OK I think.

Then, if you want, I will trade you a rubber ducky for your telescopic, straight across if you pay the shipping for both pieces. I think the rubber ducky should fit in a small “If it fits it ships” box if it is curled over.

Todd Brody said:

Joe Zullo said:

My club uses the rubber ducky antenna with no range problems and that RR is much bigger than mine, so it should be OK I think.

Then, if you want, I will trade you a rubber ducky for your telescopic, straight across if you pay the shipping for both pieces. I think the rubber ducky should fit in a small “If it fits it ships” box if it is curled over.

Todd,

Let’s trade.

Great, PM Sent.

Yes, receiving antennas are horizontal but transmitters are vertical as in TV and Radio as they are one way transmissions. Microwave is both antennas horizontal as they are directional and want all the power to be in one direction with a small pattern to increase signal strength at the receiver.

For ham radio, antennas were horizontal and directional to get signals around the world.

This is what I remember from my first class training for the FCC radio transmission license I had many years ago.

Actually the 2 meter, 220, 440, and 1.2 GHz bands are vertically polarized.

The HF bands are usually horizontal…

TV is an HF band.

read post #3 here about TV transmitting antennas

https://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/95555-question-about-tv-antenna-polarization.html

TV must be horizontally transmitted, you could not receive it with a antenna 90 degrees out of alignment, so if you receiving antenna is horizontal, it’s pretty certain that the transmitting one is horizontal.

Greg

Are you sure Greg?

Greg Elmassian said:

Actually the 2 meter, 220, 440, and 1.2 GHz bands are vertically polarized.

The HF bands are usually horizontal…

TV is an HF band.

read post #3 here about TV transmitting antennas

https://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/95555-question-about-tv-antenna-polarization.html

TV must be horizontally transmitted, you could not receive it with a antenna 90 degrees out of alignment, so if you receiving antenna is horizontal, it’s pretty certain that the transmitting one is horizontal.

Greg

Greg,

Unfortunately I am going to beg to differ on a couple of points on this one

Quote “TV is an HF band” end Quote; In the US High frequency (HF) is the ITU designation for the range of radio frequency electromagnetic waves (radio waves) between 3 and 30 MHz. Over-the-air television channels are divided into two bands: the VHF band which comprises channels 2 through 13 and occupies frequencies between 54 and 216 MHz, and the UHF band, which comprises channels 14 through 83 and occupies frequencies between 470 and 890 MHz.

Quote “TV must be horizontally transmitted” End Quote, that may be the case in the US but in Australia TV is transmitted both in vertical and horizontal polarity depending on the transmission site ie same channel but different transmitter. NTSC vs PAL maybe?.

I know this because I had an issue with poor reception and the radio inspector (the controlling authority of the RF spectrum in Aust) when I asked for an investigation, said that my TV was tuned to a vertically polarized transmitter but my newly installed antenna was horizontally polarized, I could still view the TV signal but it was degraded.

Yeah, the old school TV channels are HF, I was relating to the TV towers of old… yes I was ignoring the UHF end…

Of course all these channels are going away.

Yes I was talking about the US specifically and the example picture shows the antenna.

I think you missed what my response was in regards to:

Yes, receiving antennas are horizontal but transmitters are vertical as in TV and Radio as they are one way transmissions.

This is the incorrect statement I was referring to, that the transmitting antenna polarization was not the same as the receiving antenna polarization. Physics just won’t allow it.

The nuances of different countries, and frequencies is not what point I wanted to make, merely the MATCHING of polarization between transmitting and receiving antennas.

Regards, Greg

Joe Zullo said:

Can linear DC be converted to PWC?

I ask because the sound system in my Aristocraft slope back tender (really lame sound system) only works on my club’s PWC. It does not work on my Bridgewerks linear system on my home track.

Answering the original poster and I have read it twice before posting (as recommended) …my answer is YES

Thank you David Russell (aka Rooster). (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)