Large Scale Central

In-ko-pah RR: The Mineral Ridge Mill

Great progress Ray.

You reminded me I have to buy a new “can supply” if I’m going to start on a new building!

Thanks!

Bruce, my buildings normally stay out all the time, but I still haven’t gotten around to finishing the brick building. Among other things, it’s missing the glass in the doors, and also hasn’t yet been sprayed with Krylon UV clear. So for now I keep it inside and only put it out for the open house.

Ray, I thought you did; but then I thought you had finished the brick building, too. Probably because it looks so good already.

Boy… now that’s really looking good… nice work.

Puts my little Mine to shame, but thats not so bad. i bow to the master.

Coming along nicely! I always enjoy seeing some “out-of-the-box” thinking on saving money by making it yourself.

Great detail Ray, I really like the finish you came up with on the corrugated. How about a long shot of you layout to see where this is located.

After applying all the corrugated metal and giving it at least a couple days or more for the adhesive to dry, I washed it off to remove oily fingerprints, etc. As before, I sprayed it with oven cleaner, then rinsed it.

When it was dry I primed it with Rustoleum’s “self-etching” primer. Then I gave it two coats of Rustoleum’s “Cold Galvanizing Compound”. Here’s how it looks so far:

Still to come: Weathering the structure, adding exterior details, painting and installing the windows, etc. I also haven’t built the sorting house yet, which goes on top of the ore bin.

That looks great

Looks great

That’s going to be nice.

Couldn’t you skip using oven cleaner if you left your metal out in the salty air for a few months?

Dam Ray, that looks way cool!
Every thing you show us is…
Keep it up Ray!

You didn’t like the rusty finish in page 1 of your thread?

Tom, that was just plain brass.

It does look great…just wondering where the water ends up during a heavy rainstorm

Rooster, on the ground. Duh

:slight_smile:

I am sure drainage will be figured out after the puddles form. At least that what I did after the flood.

:stuck_out_tongue:

David Russell said:

It does look great…just wondering where the water ends up during a heavy rainstorm

It’s southern California…it doesn’t rain there…:wink:

Time for another update…

I’ve started putting together the sorting house on top of the ore bin. This small structure is the most complex part of the entire mill.

It will have Gn15" tracks entering it on two different levels, from two different directions, as well as one track exiting the building to a trestle for dumping waste rock. Part of the internal structure – the upper tram dump and ore chute – will extend above the peak of the roof. And the large tram openings, together with a pair of windows, make the interior fairly visible, so I have to model a lot of the interior details.

I wanted to apply the corrugated siding to a PVC substrate, as on the larger part of the mill. But I wanted to make it look like a wood-framed building. So I built the walls out of thinner, 3mm PVC and then added an interior framework made of styrene strips. When finished, the interior walls will be painted the same color as the corrugated metal siding, with “aged wood” color on the frame.

This shot shows the beginning of the construction. The four walls are assembled and a few of the interior frame pieces have been installed. You can see where the lower level tram enters the building on the right, and exits on the left. The small, triangular platform at the peak is where the upper level tram will come to dump its ore:

The next three shots show the current stage of construction. The upper level ore dump and chute have been built and temporarily installed, along with the necessary support timbers. Most of the frame has been applied to the interior of the walls, however there are some pieces still missing:

And just for fun, here are some pics I shot recently while running a train:

That looks great Ray, nice job. keep the pics coming.

Beautiful pictures. It is always a joy to follow your builds.

Doc Tom