Large Scale Central

In-ko-pah RR: The Dos Manos Depot

I want to put a door in the 2nd floor and make the top of the wing a small outdoor cafe with a few tables w/ umbrellas.

As usual a great job.

John

John Caughey said:

I want to put a door in the 2nd floor and make the top of the wing a small outdoor cafe with a few tables w/ umbrellas.

As usual a great job.

John

I 2nd this idea !

Ray, Ray, Ray, Ray. What can I say?

Bruce, no need to worry. He’s in San Diego where it don’t rain or anything. Of course, they’re promising a wicked-bad El Nino…

Ray,

just am always in awe and the best part is the detailed explanation of the process so one can use it. Thank you.

Another update!

Previously, I had added some protruding stones on the west end wall. These were made by gluing thin strips of Sintra to random stones, then carving them. But I had to hold off on giving the rest of the building this treatment until I’d finished the east wing. Well, now that is done, so I added the protruding stones to all the walls. Here are a few shots, with the first one showing the strips prior to carving:

Next I made the balconies that will be on the north and south sides of the depot. These were made from pieces of 6mm and 4mm thick Sintra. The following two photos show the underside of the balcony, so you can see how the 4mm layer was cut at an angle:

Next I added the roof to the west wing, and to the center section of the depot. I still have to do the roof on the east wing. I also began construction of the bay window:

And here are a few shots of the depot as it currently looks, temporarily in position on the layout. Sometime soon, before I get much further with the construction, I need to fill in the gap in the foundation around the base of the building:

That’s all for now. Thanks for watching!

Love this shot. The background is just so life like and real. I would like to request a picture of the completed depot from this position.

Looks great, Ray!

-Kevin.

Ray, you have got the patience of Job and the perseverance of, umm, an ant? I still have those stacks of Sintra I bought after being inspired by your brick building project. You keep us going and IMHO your operation is what a fine-scale model railroad should look like. You chose and stick to a theme and an era, and you do outstanding work. What else is there to say?

Thanks guys!

This evening I managed to fill the gap in the foundation just before it got too dark to see. I probably post some pics tomorrow.

Here’s how I filled the gap in the foundation…

First I taped waxed paper to the lower part of the building. Then I added a few layers of masking tape, so that the final opening in the foundation would be just slightly larger than the building itself. Next I coated the masking tape with petroleum jelly, and placed the building on the foundation:

I used a blend of high strength mortar mix and vinyl concrete patcher. This was spooned into the gap around the building. I used an old zoo membership card to spread and smooth the mortar, however a scrap piece of styrene sheet will do. I couldn’t get it as smooth as I wanted but it’s close enough:

As you can see, I just barely finished by the time it got dark. Due to the cold, the mortar set very slowly and I had to wait several hours before removing the building from the foundation. Even then, the mortar was still not fully cured, and a small section broke off. However, this will be easy to repair. For now I just set the broken piece back in place:

I sanded the top of the foundation to get it a little smoother. It’s still not perfect but it will do. Here’s how the depot looks with its new foundation:

This close up shot shows what a great spot for photos the depot will be when it’s finished:

I’ve also added lintels to the door and window openings. These were made from strips of 1mm Sintra:

And I’ve started adding the capstones (I think that’s what they’re called) along the top of the walls, beginning with this wall on the west end:

That’s it for now. As always, thank you for your comments and for following along!

1 Like

Just curious as to how that sintra holds up out there in that hot SoCal weather? I’ve had 3/4" PVC warp when it’s in the sun and have had to reinforce it. You also may have said and I missed it, but what adhesive do you use on sintra? Around here everything needs screws and glue to hold it together.

That’s a great looking depot, BTW!

Ken, the Sintra handles the heat pretty well, and better than styrene. The only warping issue I’ve had with it, was on the roof of my mill, and that could have been prevented by better internal bracing.

The glue I use is Weld-on 16.

The lower portion of the building will have a sort of wainscot of stone blocks. I started on this by adding a strip of 1mm Sintra along the top of this area:

Back when I made the first building in Mineral Ridge, I had made a mold of hand-carved stone block pieces, and had cast a lot of extras for future use. (For details, go here: http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Mineral_Ridge_1.html )

Anyway, those are what I’m using on this project. I’m just gluing them to the Sintra. Some are cut to fit, or to create corners:

Then I fill any gaps with styrene putty, let it dry, and carve off the excess putty. Here’s how it’s looking so far:

I’m almost halfway through making the wainscot.

Wow Ray, That is amazing!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Very nice Ray. That’s a beautiful piece of work

Chuck

Hey kitteh, take a look at Rays progress… oh WOW!

Incredible!

What an Artist!

John

Truly amazing work, Ray.

Every building is only as good as its foundation… That one is really good!

Thanks, guys!

BTW, yesterday I came home and discovered water seeping out of my mountain:

Apparently the neighbors behind us, on top of the hill, have a leak in their sprinkler system. I told them about it and they said they’d get someone to find the leak but so far that hasn’t happened, and it’s still leaking. I’m a bit concerned because I don’t know how long that slope can hold up with water constantly flowing through it, and we’ve got rain coming tonight.