Large Scale Central

In-ko-pah RR: Another brick building

Ray
You just opened a can of worms by showing a barber shop without the "pole "!~!
(http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Mineral_Ridge_3_files/Media/IMG_9122/IMG_9122.jpg)
Were they in existence in your time frame?
If anyone , You Ray , can build one.
Looking super as always!

I wanted a lighted barber pole, but it would have taken too much space on my narrow sidewalk.

Stunningly beautiful craftsmanship. Your combination of architectural correctness mixed with age, weathering, and building repairs really gives your building character and believability. I’ve reviewed much of what you posted and have to ask if this an in-door only model building.

Jim,

Click on one of Ray’s web pages and be amazed!

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Photos.html

Thanks! My layout is outdoors and the buildings stay out there 24/7.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Ray
You just opened a can of worms by showing a barber shop without the "pole "!~!
(http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Mineral_Ridge_3_files/Media/IMG_9122/IMG_9122.jpg)
Were they in existence in your time frame?
If anyone , You Ray , can build one.
Looking super as always!

The EBT’s Roberstsdale Post office (now the FEBT museum) had a barber shop in it. No pole, just red and white diagonal stripes painted on to the lintel above that door. Prototype for everything!

Well, I managed to squeeze in a tiny bit of modeling recently. Here’s an update…

I started making some old-fashioned radios to decorate the interior of the radio repair shop. Across the top in this photo are the basic shapes for some large, tabletop radios. These were made from 6mm Sintra and some styrene. Later they will be painted and detailed.

In the lower half of the photo you can see the beginnings of some smaller radios. To make these, I found photos of old radios online, reduced them to scale, and printed them on self-adhesive vinyl. Then I stuck them onto 6mm Sintra, and cut them out. Later, they’ll be painted on the sides and top:

Here are the completed tabletop radios. I printed the faces on vinyl and stuck them onto the fronts. Next I added knobs made of tiny slices of styrene rod. Then I painted the exposed surfaces, blending it into the edges of the vinyl images. I finished them off with a coat of Krylon UV-resistant gloss clear:

I cut out an opening for a door in the rear wall of the radio shop. I cut down the plug from the opening and added some styrene strips to it, to make a door. The doorframe is from Grandt Line:

Here’s a close up of the doorknob. I made the knob by holding the end of a styrene rod near a flame:

Then I made a workbench out of 1mm Sintra and some styrene bits. The drawer handles are slices of 1/4" styrene channel:

I “weathered” the interior with thin washes of craft acrylics to give the walls and floor a little grime and wear:

Here’s a test shot showing the placement of the workbench and counter:

I also made some shelves out of styrene. The brackets were made by slicing a thin piece from a 1/4" angle, then gluing on some .010" strips:

That’s all for now. Enjoy!

Ray you put us to shame. All I can say is WOW!

Dang it Ray, stop showing off. Thanks to you my inferiority complex has got an inferiority complex. :slight_smile:

Three more tips to add to my Tool Box. Handles and brackets from 1/4 angle. Heated sprue for door knobs.

Keep em coming Ray. I’m learning from you all the time.

Thank you.

Thanks guys!

Outstanding Ray ! Reassure us that you are NOT entering the upcoming build challenge.
Us regular hacks and bashers don’t stand a chance against your skills. LOL

Here’s another brief update…I’ve been working on some more interior details…

I found a photo online of a stack of vacuum tube boxes, so I scaled it down and printed it onto self-adhesive vinyl. Then I stuck it to a scrap of 6mm Sintra and cut it out. To give it a bit of dimensionality, I used a tiny jeweler’s screwdriver to create indentations between the boxes.

Since this cut into the vinyl a bit, and I was concerned about such tiny piece potentially peeling up later, I brushed a coat of acrylic matte medium over the whole thing, working it down into the crevices:

Later I glued styrene strips around the edges to simulate wooden shelving. This will go on top of the workbench. I made some more of these, sized to fit into the shelves below the workbench.

I also made some oscilloscopes and other instruments, using the same basic technique. To these I added bits of small styrene rod for dials and knobs. I also made some parts drawers too. Here’s a shot of some of these things under construction:

And here are a couple shots of the finished workbench, with some of the details added on top:

It’s hard to tell with this lighting, but I used a simple trick that made these items look less “flat” and much more realistic. I coated the “glass” scopes and dials with acrylic gloss medium. I did the same with the face of each little plastic bin in the parts drawers. When complete, this should show up better under the scale lighting.

I still have more details to add to the work bench area, and many more details to make for the rest of the shop.

I’m assuming that over in the corner somewhere is the free standing “Tube Tester” .

Great Great work.

as always…
your extreme modelling is a pleasure to observe.

Sheesh, Ray! Your photo of the shop’s work space left me wondering if it was real or Memorex, as the commercials used to say. Amazing detail. I’m guessing that the a/c outlets are Sintra chips with photos of wall plugs pasted on 'em, right? I mean, ya didn’t actually carve out miniature outlets…

Dave, “tube tester?” You must be a senior citizen :slight_smile:

Joe Rusz said:

Dave, “tube tester?” You must be a senior citizen :slight_smile:

Gee, thanks. I know I am not the Dave in question, but remember tube testers, and I aint no Senior Citizen. :wink:

I also remember that when I needed one, there were none to be found neither. :frowning:

Thanks everyone!

Joe, yes the outlets are photos on tiny pieces of 3mm Sintra.

Dave, I’m still trying to figure out whether I can fit a DIY tube tester into the room. I may do a countertop model and put it on the front counter. The other issue is finding suitable photos to work from.

Barber pole… red car lining tape on white vinyl rolled on a diagonal and inserted into a solder tube

Dave, not being accusatory, just sayin. On second thought, why not be what I said? People are often calling me “old,” even though I am merely age impaired. Fact is I behave (or misbehave) like a 12-year old. Just ask my wife. :slight_smile: