Large Scale Central

Garden Railways to Fold

Craig,

Don’t worry about others. Do it for yourself. I know that may sound “selfish”, but you would be surprised at how useful it is when you build something similar a few years down the road and you can’t remember the exact glue or paint and you like how well it has done over the years.

Heck, a “that’s cool” remark is a LOT more feedback than you get from a published article.

Bruce,

Yah I try and keep records for myself and have been debating a blog or a facebook group for a while. Problem is right now, I have limited modeling time with 3 young kids and I feel like putting in that effort is way down on the priority list.

Craig Townsend said:

Bruce,

Yah I try and keep records for myself and have been debating a blog or a facebook group for a while. Problem is right now, I have limited modeling time with 3 young kids and I feel like putting in that effort is way down on the priority list.

I started a blog when I began my new layout and found that once it was established it consumed a small amount of my time to maintain it.

I used Google’s Blogger and found it easy to learn even for an old bloke with limited computer skills.

I put a couple of teaser pictures on a forum then direct the reader to the blog for more detail and that works for me.

I asked permission of the forum administrators before I put my first link on and they were all OK with that.

Craig,

I think I am sort of a demographic odd-ball here, with my youngest child fresh out of diapers but my peers’ children in college. I hear you with respect to balancing time on the internet, time on the hobby, and time with the clan! It is very easy to lose an evening to blogs, websites, social media, etc., so I have to literally time myself and deliberately restrict my on-line activity! But then, I’ve no discipline!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

I have come to find taking the time and effort to document my projects has been useful for me in much the way that Bruce mentioned. It serves as a record of what worked and what didn’t work and usually some tips from others on how to do better. Also, I have found by putting my projects “out there,” I feel obligated to see them through. I blogged my efforts to get the Triple O up and running on GR’s website, and I still refer to it (Got to copy that to my records, come to think of it, before that site goes away!). Also, remember, you are teaching each time you post. I do skim the titles, and, yes, there are projects that interest me more than others, and yes I do triage what I am going to read. For many of the builds, I’ve not much more to add than “Wow!” Case in point, as I recall, you were building massive industrial complex based on the mill in your signature block. Any idea what thread got the wheels turning about my own sugar mill? What you shared got me to look at my reference books in a new light.

Bottom line, however you manage your time as you balance engaging in the hobby with your other obligations, know what you choose to share is appreciated.

Eric

Eric Mueller said:

Craig,

I think I am sort of a demographic odd-ball here, with my youngest child fresh out of diapers but my peers’ children in college. I hear you with respect to balancing time on the internet, time on the hobby, and time with the clan! It is very easy to lose an evening to blogs, websites, social media, etc., so I have to literally time myself and deliberately restrict my on-line activity! But then, I’ve no discipline!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

I have come to find taking the time and effort to document my projects has been useful for me in much the way that Bruce mentioned. It serves as a record of what worked and what didn’t work and usually some tips from others on how to do better. Also, I have found by putting my projects “out there,” I feel obligated to see them through. I blogged my efforts to get the Triple O up and running on GR’s website, and I still refer to it (Got to copy that to my records, come to think of it, before that site goes away!). Also, remember, you are teaching each time you post. I do skim the titles, and, yes, there are projects that interest me more than others, and yes I do triage what I am going to read. For many of the builds, I’ve not much more to add than “Wow!” Case in point, as I recall, you were building massive industrial complex based on the mill in your signature block. Any idea what thread got the wheels turning about my own sugar mill? What you shared got me to look at my reference books in a new light.

Bottom line, however you manage your time as you balance engaging in the hobby with your other obligations, know what you choose to share is appreciated.

Eric

Eric,

Starting a blog of your own and getting the “tribe” to help would be a great educational experience.

May be getting each youngster to write a post would help with spelling and grammar as well as sentence composition and essay/short story practice.

For any who are not tech savvy I offer this; friends wife started mine on Facebook as a way to keep in touch with her children when we lived 5 days drive from the closest one, she was terrified of computers but can now look around the net if she wanted to.

I try to look at everything as an opportunity to teach/learn.

Craig Townsend said:

Also, as long as I’ve been around thus website, it seems to be heavily focused on a core group of friends that live on the east coast. I feel like an outsider, and honestly get tired of the inside jokes. I’d rather text, email or facebook my close geographical friends about projects because I have a higher percentage of them meeting me in person.

True, there are a lot of East Coasters here, but I have a West Coast memory that I will not forget. My wife and I were out in California for the Annual Family Picnic. We had almost a full day to kill due to a late flight. I ended up calling Noel Wilson to see if we could come out and visit his layout. We had a most pleasant time, and got to see quite a different Garden Railroad, and some unique methods. Thanks, Noel for some great memories.

Watching his railroad online reminded me of something else: If I cannot get out to run anything, I enjoy watching everyone’s railroad that has posted videos or pictures on LSC. It is the next best thing to being there. As we age, it gets more difficult to travel, but I appreciate the layouts I was able to see when we did travel.

So thank you everyone for being friendly and posting on LSC.

Very early on, I haunted “the other site,” but the first time that I asked a question, the first response I got was, “Do we have to go through that again? Use the search engine.”

That was me. I took a leaf out of TOC’s playbook and decided that answering the same question every year for 10+ years was getting old. I jest, of course (sort of) but you get the point - beginners, to use Bruce’s definition, do tend to ask the same questions.

(Nowadays, I do the search for them and point them to the answers. Seems more friendly and maybe they’ll figure out how to do it for themselves? The latest browser option to right-click and choose “Search Google for. . .” has speeded up the process!)

GScaleCentral has a neat feature - if you are in a topic or creating a topic, it has a list of “suggested” threads for you.

Bruce Chandler said:

Craig Townsend said:

Bruce,

I would love to have the time and money to go out to the East coast, but I’m sure my wife wouldn’t go for a all trains trip…

To be bluntly honest, I’m sick of the “are you done yet” and drunk posts. If I wanted that I would go to my local bar and drink with the drunks.

Too true. All trains, all the time may NOT be a key to a successful marriage.

Bruce, I note you didn’t comment on the second point. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Though, personally, I don’t recall a “are you done yet” kind of comment, or anyone obviously ‘under the influence’ as they call it in the UK.

Like most have said , Thanks Bob McC. and hope he can keep this site up and running.

" Only problem we have is keep trying to get video showing but help always show up and post it for us."

We here have met a lot of people on here and MLS.com and ya like anyone else, Sorry to see problems with the Garden R.R. Maz.

We have had a lot of good time with this Hobby as stated in 1998 and not knowing nothing about outside R.R.'s. then a few years joined the SVGRS Club and on a Conv.open house here. Talking to a few guys that was setting around the layout. I started to bitch about a Aristo 10-R. track switches that some guys was talking about problems with. Ya… like a dummy started to show a guys the bad frog jumper wires that keep coming loose and one of the guys I was talking to… looked at it and said it being worked on… Guess who… " It was Mr. Poke in person setting there… " Boy did I feel small when they introduced him to me… lol.

Anyway like this …

Shared. above

"Craig Townsend said:

Also, as long as I’ve been around thus website, it seems to be heavily focused on a core group of friends that live on the east coast. I feel like an outsider, and honestly get tired of the inside jokes. I’d rather text, email or facebook my close geographical friends about projects because I have a higher percentage of them meeting me in person.

Lou said.

True, there are a lot of East Coasters here, but I have a West Coast memory that I will not forget. My wife and I were out in California for the Annual Family Picnic. We had almost a full day to kill due to a late flight. I ended up calling Noel Wilson to see if we could come out and visit his layout. We had a most pleasant time, and got to see quite a different Garden Railroad, and some unique methods. Thanks, Noel for some great memories.

Watching his railroad online reminded me of something else: If I cannot get out to run anything, I enjoy watching everyone’s railroad that has posted videos or pictures on LSC. It is the next best thing to being there. As we age, it gets more difficult to travel, but I appreciate the layouts I was able to see when we did travel.

So thank you everyone for being friendly and posting on LSC."

I Got a call from this guy Called Lou.

It was a bad off and on rainy day and with his ph,. call I invited Lou and his wife Susan to swing by. I got a kick our of Lou looking for his Train he was running.

Here is a short video of it.

We been in to the Trains Hobby back to 1948. Guess it seems to be a phase we are going thru like they did years ago in O & S -gage and down the line Ho and others.

We have met so many People in this Train Hobby from around the world that have came here or on the internet sites.

I even met an old buddy that i use to work at the same Co. on here " Richard Smith with DiSalvo Trucking. " So hope this Site can keep going and ya as always sorry to see on so many things closing down do to the environment.

Oh… and Mark Horovitz was the magazine all the way. One person that loved the Hobby.

Well that our Two-Six-Bits worth and enjoyed the hobby & friends met over the years.

Noel & Jane Wilson in CA.

I’m sorry to see the magazine go too, and feel privileged to have had our railroad featured in one of Nancy’s articles last year. For the several comments I’ve read about LS kind of dying off…I think to keep anything alive you need new blood. I don’t know about you but I feel we can all do a better job at recruiting younger people and getting kids involved. Thankfully our club has started doing a bit more recruitment and as a result obtained a few new members…one as young as 10 or 11. Its a start…

Richard

Im just playing catchup on this as I havent had an email yet.

Its a shame to see GR go but like a few others have said, it has been on the cards. Here in Oz, several very well known mag’s that have been around for decades have just been discontinued, so its not surprising.

Cheers.

Dave Meashey said:

Seems like it has been happening for a long time. First the big publisher gobbled up the independent magazine, and the beautiful and unique covers were gone. Then the suits at the big publisher decided that everybody HAD to work from Waukesha, WI, and Mark Horovitz was gone. (Mark WAS the magazine - personal opinion.) So this latest news is really no surprise. The new staff seemed nice, but Garden Railways was not a part of their souls like it was for Mark. Perhaps something new will come along in a few years to take its place. Hope it manages to stay independent.

Climbing down from soap box, David Meashey

I have to absolutely agree with Dave, Mark Horovitz was the magazine. He supported it and he lived it. He was great for the hobby. A long-distance good friend, that just enjoyed what he did. one of my favorite memories was his seminar of building concrete pillars for his monorail and using a palm sander held on the side of the form to vibrate the bubbles out. I have used that palm sander technique for concrete and epoxy. Simple idea, great results.

“Everything changes, the only thing not subject to change is that everything is always subject to change.”

Move forward, move on, enjoy life.

I cannot log into the GR forum so I will post my thoughts here.

With no magazine there will be no forum. Thats my thought. I suspect it’s content will be rolled over into the MR site, how far back they will keep posts I don’t know but I suspect to save space they will only roll over the most recent content, maybe just the last years active postings. That would be a tremendous loss of information.

I’m also wondering if the other rags are safe. MR and Trains are the bread and butter, Classic Train I doubt requires a large staff so it may be safe, but Classic Toy Trains is just like GR, it’s also a niche and its traffic while better than GR is still small. So it remains to be seen if any other shoes drop before the end of the year.

I would have thought with people spending alot more time at home there would be more interest in hobbies like model trains, maybe there is in HO and N, but G has gotten so very expensive in the last decade I suspect it’s very hard to justify the expenditure, but their MUST be some growth and demand, otherwise why would Bachmann release the coming Dash-9? I see newbies posting on FB so there must be some growth in garden railroading as well.

As I said before, the loss of several manufacturers, hobby retailers, even garage manufacturers, and their related advertising is what has killed GR. I believe the embargoing of HLW production and the pending cease of production at MTH and the loss of that ad revenue so close together is what finally tipped the numbers on Kalmbach pulling the plug on GR.

Vic,

The non train side is also seeing cuts as well. Appaerently one of the car and truck modeling mags is getting folded into fine scale modeler (mostly aircraft now).

I don’t know how many of you read books on a tablet, iPad or Kindle, but those who do may have noticed their local library has a service called Overdrive, which many libraries use, to lend books online. I use it a lot - especially this year when the library itself was closed!

Anyway, Overdrive started making magazines available to ‘borrow’, so you could read the Economist, or People magazine. Imagine my surprise, when I was looking yesterday, to find the Fall2020 Garden Railways Magazine available.

I also found a UK magazine, “Heritage Railways”, which covers the preserved railway field. All good stuff.

I suspect we will see Classic Toy Trains folded into Model Railroader soon as well. I went to look at the holiday issue and its thinner than the latest issue of People Magazine that my wife gets. I can remember when the holiday issues were super thick with ads and articles ect. Everything is moving to online E format. When the cover price is the same, but the magazine is paper thin with little substance to read and enjoy, sales are going to tank. Soon magazines as we once knew them will be gone at this rate. I mostly gave up on Garden Railways a few years ago. Garden Rail from the UK has better content and has for years. Just very salty to get paper subscription in the USA. So I get Steam in the Garden and anything else that strikes my fancy on the newstand. I have quite a collection of old issues of Garden Railways going back to when Marc and his Sidestreet Bannerworks published the magazine. Now those are interesting to read, then compare to the glory days of the Kalmbach issues, looking at the huge distributors that once supplied us with trains that are gone. St Aubins(2 locations), Ridge Road Station, Watts Train Shop. Rara Avis in the early days, San Val Hobbies are just a few that have disappeared from the scene. Live steam seems to be doing well, as Roundhouse is booked out into 2022 already for many models. G scale seems to have contracted/shrunk quite a bit more than the smaller scales in recent times. Granted it takes up lots of space both on the shelf and in the yard/basement. But its been my cabin fever killer thru the lock downs. Nothing more relaxing that watching a train running outdoors whist sipping an adult beverage of your choice. Mike

I watch a lot of “Ken Patterson’s What’s Neat this Week” on YouTube, if you watch the show you will be keep up on the model railroad industry and like the title says, it weekly, not monthly, or bi-monthly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dy_3Y5YzAA Ken also has a large G scale garden RR outside his home where he does his show from. For myself I’m looking at more and more type show like this for my modeling information, I don’t subscribe to any RR magazines at this time, which by the time you would get it, it’s old news.

trainman

I have been aware of Ken’s information from skimming the Model Railroad Hobbyist forums. I used to be a subscriber until he went ‘pay to play’ for the meat and potatoes articles. From the online magazine I watched several of the ‘What’s Neat …’ videos. I will have to dig deeper into hes stuff. Most of the stuff I have watched was primarily pointed at smaller scales, so I admit I more of less brushed over him unless something caught my eye as being more LS oriented.

As for paper publication, I am of the same opinion for the most part that paper publications have lost most of the content worth paying for. The only exception to that rule, to date, is Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. I still maintain a subscription to that magazine, good content and a good cross section of advertisers. A couple years ago White River Publications (who bought NG&SLG) bought Carstens Publications - Railroad Model Craftsman. Since they bought it I have picked up a few issues at the news stand when I happen to be in BAM. I tried a subscription to RMC this year, we will see how I feel at the end of the year.

As for comments on magazine content being dated by the time we receive it, blame technology. We have all become somewhat jaded by the instant access the internet provides. There are things the internet can’t provide that paper magazines do … drawings. I have read a couple articles I paid the per article price for and was never able to print the drawings that came with them without sufficient distortion (deliberate or not) to render the drawings useless. NG&SLG is a most valuable resource for drawings. Old Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman were good sources as well up until around the mid '80s when shake the box and RTR took over the scene, and magazine content went to pushing the products and articles on the latest ‘bleeding edge’ electronics.

FWIW