Large Scale Central

Electricity question, missing something....Christmas lights.

Thanks, but I just can’t see Maynard in a tie!

I was thinking more like this…

Greg, no need to grovel.

John, at my first copier repair job, all the techs had to wear white shirts, ties, and suit coats. My boss said we were to look like IBM. I said, if I had to dress like I worked at IBM, then he should pay me like I worked at IBM. My boss didn’t have a sense of humor…

Perhaps IBM stands for Its Been Madness

One day I had customers laughing at me, because I had shredded my tie in a machine, and I didn’t bring a spare tie with me. Back then the machines were driven with a large motor and a bicycle chain. I leaned in to adjust the one cam, and my tie got between a sprocket and the chain. The only thing that saved me from serious injury was my quick action in yanking the power cord out of the wall.

I was so glad when DANKA bought the company, and the whole tie and suit coat thing was abolished for golf shirts.

I almost went to work for IBM in their white shirt and narrow tie era (actually turned down their offer), and I do remember their copier people would come into the building nice an clean and white and leave with toner dust all over themselves.

Many of them were pretty frustrated at the “dress code”.

Greg

Yea, wearing white shirts while working with grease, toner and ink is a stupid idea. That is why I respect bosses who have actually done my job, versus bosses who haven’t. The ones who have “been there, done that” tend to come up with fewer stupid ideas.

Greg Elmassian said:

Well John ,

Considering your ORIGINAL POST /question got derailed on page two. I will add that all the passenger cars I scratch build I include a hidden 9v battery under it with a switch or two that controls the LED lighting I decide to install.

The hidden switches underneath control what mode I’m feeling that evening when I decide to run at night. LED lighting is all powered by the 9v

Thanks, Russell, now I have more work to do.

Here’s another kick in the electrical butt: D Cell batteries, as big as they are, don’t put out any more voltage than AA batteries; D Cells put out only 1.5 volts…they just last longer.

Yes they do, a lot longer just so big

D-cells are great for law enforcement flashlights and sex toys but that’s about it IMO.

Most of the smaller rechargeable NiMh batteries are over 2,000 mah. They should last plenty long if you use LEDs.

Regular alkaline D cells are 12 to 18 amp hours…

AA 1.8 to 2.8

9v about 0.5

So you get what you pay for in “volume”, but using a 3v source may simplify your wiring, i.e. the LEDs might be at the perfect brightness on 3v, since they are typically 3.6 volts at max current.

It’s easy to experiment. If it was me, I would use 5 or so LEDs up in the roof, preferably the “straw hat” type: https://www.amazon.com/Transparent-Lighting-Electronics-Components-Emitting/dp/B01BV2OTLG/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=white+straw+hat+led&qid=1564587132&s=gateway&sr=8-6

The “Straw hat” types have greater/wider dispersion, so the light spreads out more, i.e. fewer LEDs to cover the same area, and fewer/no “hot spots”

Before: (incandescents and hot spots)

\

After (wide dispersion LEDs tucked up in the roof):

I wish I could do that good a job with batteries, since I don’t have track power. Yikes.

No reason you cannot… like I said, buy a few from Amazon, get a little AA battery holder and experiment!

This is supposed to be fun! Worst case you blow up a couple of LEDs

Greg

If you cut open a 9v battery you might be surprised what you find inside . MaH really matters not on LED lighting as far as I’m concerned but whatever. My 9V batteries work just fine on all my passenger stuff and have been in there for years however I’m no expert!

Greg Elmassian said:

Regular alkaline D cells are 12 to 18 amp hours…

AA 1.8 to 2.8

9v about 0.5

Note the 9v battery rated at .5 amp hours continues to run a Hartland motor block after about 1.5 hrs as and actual test

Posted with Ghostery and Ad Block along with U block all enabled on Firefox. Now back to whitelisting LSC as recommended and suggested!

clearly the motor block draws fairly low current.

Rough calculation would say that the motor block would run 0.3 amps or less, which is reasonable, considering the light load.

Also, the amp hour capacity of batteries is measured with a certain voltage drop, where I am sure the motor block will run past that point at a much lower voltage.

Greg