Large Scale Central

Disgusting vandalism

Forrest Scott Wood said:

This brings to mind that tattoos are vandalism you do to yourself.

Having spent 8 yrs in the Royal Navy I never had a tattoo…I saw the results when they went bad!!

I have some mixed thoughts on this, as I have posted a thread here on having my 6 grandkids tag 3 boxcars. #1 I dont think that aany of them will turn into “graffitti artists” and they are respectful of other peoples property. We did have some discussions about how bad this looks on a neighborhood wall or building. I told them this is only OK because I have allowed them to do it to the car I got just for that purpose. But just as some weather nice new cars and locomotives, I think if you do that to modern equipment you will add some authentic look by adding some grafffitti. Most of all by having my grandkids do a car it gets them involved as they want to see “their car” and maybe they will get more involved with the hobby.

BUT in no way do I think marking up those restore historic cars was anything less than destroying public property

Forrest Scott Wood said:

This brings to mind that tattoos are vandalism you do to yourself.

Forrest yea. I find myself saying, when I see a good looking girl covered in tattoos, “Hey, lets take a pretty girl, and make her look like a highway overpass on the wrong side of town.”

Don’t get me going on the stupidity you guys are speaking of…I must remember that one about a woman looking like graffiti on a railroad overpass on the wrong side of town. I wish I had known that, and used it on a twit I knew a number of years ago…

Fred Mills

Pete Lassen said:

I have some mixed thoughts on this, as I have posted a thread here on having my 6 grandkids tag 3 boxcars. #1 I dont think that aany of them will turn into “graffitti artists” and they are respectful of other peoples property. We did have some discussions about how bad this looks on a neighborhood wall or building. I told them this is only OK because I have allowed them to do it to the car I got just for that purpose. But just as some weather nice new cars and locomotives, I think if you do that to modern equipment you will add some authentic look by adding some grafffitti. Most of all by having my grandkids do a car it gets them involved as they want to see “their car” and maybe they will get more involved with the hobby.

BUT in no way do I think marking up those restore historic cars was anything less than destroying public property

And Pete I thoroughly enjoyed both seeing and reading your car marking post, AND did not even start to relate the memories you created with any form of vandalism.

That was a very original way of including your entire family in your hobby. They did not vandalize those cars, you asked them to create memories. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Some people will not be civilized no matter what you do. They will never be up to it. We have it in our country as you well know, but because so many families in our country are dysfunctional, nobody keeps up with the kids like they used to. If I had participated in something like this when I was young, my mom would have been waiting on me when I got home because someone would have called her. Unfortunately, so many parents do not care anymore.

Pete, you provided the canvas…

David Marconi, FOGCH said:

Pete Lassen said:

And Pete I thoroughly enjoyed both seeing and reading your car marking post, AND did not even start to relate the memories you created with any form of vandalism.

That was a very original way of including your entire family in your hobby. They did not vandalize those cars, you asked them to create memories. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bingo. My daughter “graffitied” one of the Macks in my fleet and a boxcar with all kind of princess stuff when she was eight and I’ve never seen a more wonderful locomotive in my life.

Now, then, if your kids or grandkids happen to be members of a street gang and tag your model trains without asking, then we got another story. Let’s hope this doesn’t apply to anyone around here.

Thanks David, Bob and John, I was just kind of responding to the encourages it part of the discussion. I, like John, will never get rid of these cars, and when I am gone they will go to the kids that did them, as part of Poppa Pete’s legacy.

Ron Hill said:

Some people will not be civilized no matter what you do. They will never be up to it. We have it in our country as you well know, but because so many families in our country are dysfunctional, nobody keeps up with the kids like they used to. If I had participated in something like this when I was young, my mom would have been waiting on me when I got home because someone would have called her. Unfortunately, so many parents do not care anymore.

Ron, yea. And then there is the philosophy that if it feels good do it. Too many folks no longer respect others, nor take responsibility for their own actions.

Looking at the pictures, it seams to me that the cars were just painted (no, I am not making light of that). But if that is all that was done, they can be stripped and refinished. At least there was no irreparable damage done.

When I was growing up we traveled by car. Did you not see peoples initials carved in rock faces? I did, usually high up where some love struck young buck would leave his mark.

Heck there are even places where pioneers left theirs along the way.

Only the paint is new.

David Maynard said:

Looking at the pictures, it seams to me that the cars were just painted (no, I am not making light of that). But if that is all that was done, they can be stripped and refinished. At least there was no irreparable damage done.

David could you just clarify - you don’t mean the pictures of the vandalised SVR coaches at the head of this thread. Please say no.

Graffiti has been found on remains Hadrian’s Wall - built east to west in the North of England dividing what is now Scotland and England It was needed to keep the warlike Northern tribes at bay during the Roman occupation. of Britain (or Britannia as it was then known)

No change there then…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

David Maynard said:

And I guess you’ll be the first to pay for the first cars restoration because they were “just painted” (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)