Large Scale Central

Dexter-Turbine Windmill Project

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Maybe the above pic will help you decide Forrest I got it from:

The yellow with initially brown then green trim was from the 1910, 1930, to the end era; which is the correct era for 4-6-0 #26 that Bachmann put in an 1870s livery for this set. And the 2 cars in the set came in yellow with green trim. Instead of correcting the locomotive’s livery I am ‘correcting’ the cars, backdating their livery to match the anachronistic locomotive livery’s era.

The set was something of a temporal goulash, a 1910 locomotive in 1870s livery pulling cars in 1930s livery.

Forrest, The pic is representative of the appearance of the roof as seen in direct sun. The roof is painted black and runs to white with the sun.

As asked by you earlier :

Hey Cliff, if I might go off on a V&T tangent momentarily;

the right side of those images brings up V&T question which I’ve not yet found the answer to. Knowing that B&W photography records reflectance of surfaces as much as, and sometimes more than, the tones of hues, can it be inferred that the roofs of those 2 passenger cars are a lighter hue than black?

Maybe I misunderstood your question silly me

Jim Rowson said:

So by saying you want this functional, does that mean actually pumping water to fill the tank? Or just adjusting the various vane angles and spinning in the wind?

Are you planning a scale well being drilled to match? :slight_smile:

[edited to correct typo]

Jim, mainly just spinning, hopefully with at least manually-operable shutters. Whether I can make them self-regulating is improbable, but I’ll give it a whack.

There will also be the pump drive shaft, which will have a 2:1 pulley / belt drive off the rotor shaft. This is for later experimentation with, say, a small enclosed motor acting as a generator (just for grins…)

Yesterday I did the cedar ripping, and today was measuring, cutting, sometimes notching, and sanding.

I should be getting the brown acrylic in a day or two, so laser-cutting will hopefully start next weekend.

You are so organized and methodical and plan-first-build-to-plan that I am jealous. I just wing it…

Thanks Jim, very kind of you to say.

But you’re a lot quicker than I am though, haha!

I just got the supply of K&S brass stock, and wanted to pass on the place I got it from:

FDJTool

The sell the brass pieces singly (vs. packs), but their prices seemed pretty good. Several items I couldn’t find on Amazon at all, but they had it.

Also, check out their tools page for grins. Lotsa different stuff, since they cater to jewelry makers.

Jim Rowson said:

You are so organized and methodical and plan-first-build-to-plan that I am jealous. I just wing it…

Me to Jim …Cliff clearly has issues !

My wife Linda and I got up to see the recreated turbine windmill today, there in southeastern PA. The owner, Jay McGinnis, runs a business that makes or restores period ceiling fans & their line shafts. His house has plenty of them, along with a nice collection of stationary engine models. Here’s Jay and Linda in his sun room. It’s 3 stories, with fans at each level!

In is porch room he has a couple models (1:12?) of his big windmills on the property, made by a local Amish young man.

Here’s his “horizontal” windmill, which we’d come to see. “Horizontal” is the generic term for wind-driven wheels laid horizontally (and therefore having a vertical axis), including Southwick’s Turbine, which this is an adaptation of.

Unfortunately, the power to the mill wasn’t working, and his motorized shutters wouldn’t open. Jay was quite surprised and annoyed, saying the (after much effort) something must have chewed up a cable. Anyway, he’ll get it working in a few days. It was great to see it though, nonetheless.

So we moved on to the big’un, the 1900 Aermotor. Has 16’ dia. blades, and there’s only one other one in existence. The wood tower is new, but all the working parts and steel tower inside are all original. He bought it as an unopened kit, that had never been put together!

When we went inside, he cranked a cable making the tail turn perpendicular to the fan, and all the machinery started working. Really cool to see (and hear) that! His web site has lots of pics of the construction of this mill.

If any of y’all want to go, just drop him a line (or have me do it) to request a visit and make sure his turbine’s working. And if the timing works out, I’d like to tag along and see it work myself.

Hollywood and I were making the trip up to see it tomorrow. We originally planned for today, but the wife needed my car, so we had a change in plans. I’m meeting him at the Delta Family restaurant. Then we’ll scoot on over and take a look/see.

Ken Brunt said:

Hollywood and I were making the trip up to see it tomorrow. We originally planned for today, but the wife needed my car, so we had a change in plans. I’m meeting him at the Delta Family restaurant. Then we’ll scoot on over and take a look/see.

Haha!

He beat you too it only because you excluded me from your plans !

For those Middle ages garden layouts (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Rooster ’ said:

Ken Brunt said:

Haha!

Soooooooo, tell me about your trip to Pittsburg over the weekend. Fun stuff, huh…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Rooster ’ said:

Ken Brunt said:

Haha!

Soooooooo, tell me about your trip to Pittsburg over the weekend. Fun stuff, huh…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

ROTFLMBO (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Oh, so you came to the Burgh and you didn’t even bother to say hi? Now I know how I rate…

David, relax…you feel hurt…egads, if you feel hurt imagine my feelings. Ken has been coming here for only he knows, how many years, and he has never brought young Cliffy here either.

Cliffy, on his own has at one time or another, “Cornfessed” that he might be persuaded to attend an “Invasion”, but that hasn’t happened either…what are we doing wrong, besides being nice…!!! BTW; you would be welcome here too !!

Fred

Would still love to go Fred!

And as far as windmill trips go, I hear that Ken and Hollywood got over to Jay’s today… before the Turbine’s electrical issues were fixed… But sounds like you guys got to see the big Aermotor run?

Dan, funny thing about those Iranian windmills, I’d just sent that video link to Jay (of PA windmill fame) the day before you posted it here, so it was very fresh in my memory! Great story, but I hope some folks step up to preserve them.

Ken Brunt said:

Rooster ’ said:

Ken Brunt said:

Haha!

Seems Hollywood has a Mrs Kravitz attitude these days. But that has nothing to do with Cliffs thread.

Useful Pics…for Cliffs thread today Ken or it never happened?

Dave took some pix. Very interesting place, and a very interesting guy.

Loved all the belt driven ceiling fans in the house.

A few to show the wonder. First the downstairs in his Horizontal windmill

The shaft up

Then on to his second windmill the Aermotor. Inside pics

Getting a full rundown on the mill and how the grain was fed into it

And one outside view

You could not ask for a more accommodating host. We showed up unannounced yet Jay stopped what he was working on and took us on a tour of inside his home to show his fan system then walked us out to the two windmills and gave us an in-depth tour, both on the structures and their operations. Then answered what questions we had and talked of the scarcity of these structures and why they fell to disuse.

Great time and thank you Cliff for pointing these out to us.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)