Large Scale Central

Devon Sinsley MIK 2017 Dunakin Pass Snow Shed

You might not be done, but it seems you’ll be done sooner than we think (or maybe later than you think (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)). Great work so far. How are you going to clean up the piers? What is there to clean up?

Ok well after my roaring start yesterday I fell on my face today. I woke up make coffee and breakfast and went to work on the snow shed. My son had a hockey game and had to leave at 9:15am. by the time all the running around was done it was 2:00pm. Then I had to shovel the roof. We had over a foot of snow on the roof and rain is coming so decided to get it off and avoid any potential problems. Well I was doen with that and shoveling paths in the walks by 4. Its now 5:30 and I don’t feel so hot. So I took some pictures of my progress and am sitting in my chair. Not sure how far I will get today. I am going to sit here and work on some wire frames for tree and see if my experiment for bear grass works. Thats likely as far as it will get today.

After doing some thinking last night I decided not to sheathe the roof until much later in the project. This will allow me to sculptamold inside and zip texture without the roof being in the way. So I decided to fit the piers to the structure. This is going to rewuire me to tackle this a bit different. I can do the piers like I did before but will need to leave the top blocks off until after it is fit tot he posts. Then I can cut the top pieces to fit around them. Put I am pleased with how they came out. I then dry fit the whole thing and put my Lil Big Hauler and tender in there to see how it fits. Its close but it will make it through with MM to spare. One I get all the piers fit I will stain the wood and paint the piers. Then I can attach it to the base. Oh I forgot last night to show the back pier.

Matt Kirichok said:

You might not be done, but it seems you’ll be done sooner than we think (or maybe later than you think (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)). Great work so far. How are you going to clean up the piers? What is there to clean up?

The only clean up on the piers is to clean out the joints where the Liquid nails oozed out and to file down some corners that didn’t line up perfect. And exacto knife takes care of the ooze and a file takes care of the edges.

I promise I will be scrambling at the end like everyone else.

Devon, it sounds like you need to build a snow shed for your house and yard!!!:slight_smile: The stone piers look good.

Dan Hilyer said:
Devon, it sounds like you need to build a snow shed for your house and yard!!!:slight_smile: The stone piers look good.

That thought did cross my mind

Is ther going to be enough room inside after all the texturing etc etc for the train to make it thru, and what if the RR get s slightly larger loco, might think about a little more clearance.

Edited to say Nice job on it !

The landscaping/ texturing shouldn’t narrow the shed clearance. The piers are the minimum distance nothing will be inboard farther than them.

As for a larger loco. . . well they won’t be able to get one, (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif). With the small diameter curves and tight clearances this layout won’t run anything larger. This loco will be the main freight hauler. The little 0-4-2 logger I am building is shorter. Now one larger loco is planned but when it comes to life will be a little Garret that should work because the leading and trailing units won’t over hang very far. So the idea is if this loco clears then they all should. I won’t be running a dash 9 on it thats for sure.

Well I did get quite a bit done today but not much picture worthy. I made a lot of flocking, dark green, light green. and a golden rod yellow. I found that coffe grounds works well but it is such a dark base that you can’t get any good light colors with it. I switched to saw dust and made a light green and the golden rod with that. that worked much better.

I also made one wire frame limber pine tree trunk. I used Korm’s acrylic/sand picture to paint the trunk, adds a nice texture to the wire frame. Once it is dry I will dry brush it to give some depth to the bark. I also made some bear grass bundles. I think this will work great. I will explain them later when I show them off.

I also went to work on the piers. I got pier #2 done and installed. Made a huge break through here. Hot glue works excellent to glue the blocks to the foam. Fast and drys hard and makes a great attachment. Way better than the liquid nails. I got pier #3 done but not installed. I had to make my first blocks from my mold. I needed two more of the long ones and 4 of the half blocks. the mold worked great.

Tomorrow I will finish the piers. In between the piers will be some short walls connecting the piers. I want to make a sign base with the stones also that will hold a sign that designates the pass. Depending on how many stone I have left over I might make something else. I want to get all the stone work done so I can paint them at one time. I will stain the frame also.

Sounds like you had quite the productive day. What are you using to trim the stones where necessary?

Dan Hilyer said:
Sounds like you had quite the productive day. What are you using to trim the stones where necessary?

I am having to do a ton of trimming. Every where there is 90 deg interface I am beveling the blocks with a dremel with a stone. So trim to length I am scoring with an exacto knife and snapping with pliers. That works very easy.

Thanks for that informative information. I am going to attempt to cast some more stones using Dave’s as the master. If I am successful, I am considering making some corner stones and casting those also. We’ll see how the initial test goes.

Dan Hilyer said:
Thanks for that informative information. I am going to attempt to cast some more stones using Dave’s as the master. If I am successful, I am considering making some corner stones and casting those also. We’ll see how the initial test goes.

I made a mold using Dave’s as a master and it worked out very well, I poured some today. . Making some cornerstones would be cool.

I have given corner stones a great deal of thought, and have yet to come up with a solution that would work for pouring anything other then one at a time, with a three part mold, and I’m not sure that with out a centrifugal casting machine that you would be very productive, and at that I think that you would have a high failure rate.

You might try this… Cut a stone 3 parts long. Cut/groove the back in a “V” at the 2/3 part line and then bend the 1/3 part 90Deg.

I still think that taking a full stone, and a 1/2 stone, bevel the joining ends, and CA together would be easier.

Instead of thinking expensive resin, cast them with CementAll a low shrinkage cement product, very fine grained and sets water proof. Make them solid and build like the pros!

John

Dave Taylor said:

I still think that taking a full stone, and a 1/2 stone, bevel the joining ends, and CA together would be easier.

Thats basically doing and it is working out OK.

Well weekend #1 was very productive. I got quite a bit further than I expected. I got the piers and connecting walls done. The white stones are from my mold using Dav’s as masters. Hot glue worked really well to adhere these to the foam.

This is all firmly in place. When I glued it down I splayed the frame out a bit to widen my clearance. Should fit the micros no problem. The gaps of exposed foam on the piers and walls are to allow for the sculptamold. I next moved onto the rough landscape background.

This is my first attempt at landscaping G scale for indoors. Its a lot different than HO. Its just so much bigger, But any way here is the back ground. With such a small space to work with it ended up more or less being one big cut rock face. But I was able to get a little section of the avalanche chute in. I think it will look nice once I get all the textures in place and plants and of course my chunk of snow.

Next on the list is to paint all the exposed rock and sculptamold, zip texture the base, and ballast the track. Oh and stain the wood. Then I will put the lid on and landscape the upper section. I can’t do the snow until the roof is on. Seems like I am moving fast but I know I will bog down on the landscaping.

Looking good, Are you going to have a avalanche coming over the edge, Kinda like stopped in mid plunge off the shed? Would be cool…

Devon, how did you make that fine rock surface?

Although I know this will be part of your indoor layout, this is turning out to be a nice looking diorama in its own right. I think you may have even stated that as your intention in an earlier post. I know you are taking lots of photos. What do you think about putting together a short slide show at the end, sort of a time lapse of the build process. Would be cool to see all the pieces come together. Just an idea. Keep up the great work and slow down why don’t you. Your making the rest of us look bad!! Lol.

Dave Taylor said:

Looking good, Are you going to have a avalanche coming over the edge, Kinda like stopped in mid plunge off the shed? Would be cool…

Well,

the idea for the whole scene is a late spring feel. I don’t want to model winter. So for the snow slide it will be old snow that is melting and receding. I haven’t decided yet if I want a small pile at the base like it had come over. I have teetered between both. We will have to wait and see.