Large Scale Central

cutting styrene sheets

Okay, tenth of an inch, .100 = 2.5 millimeters.

Though not that thick in the grand scheme of things it does take effort to cut through; I was hacking on .060 yesterday. (more or less 1.5mm)

For straight cuts, you only have to cut about halfway through, then you line the cut up along the edge of your workbench and snap the sheet along the cut line. Curved cuts are more “challenging”.

My experience with Plastruct is that their plastic is softer and more flexible than Evergreen’s so on Plastruct’s sheet it is necessary to cut more than halfway through on thicker sheets in order to get a clean snap.

As always, your mileage may vary, life is like that.

Forrest - The softer nature of Plastruct material is that their prime product is ABS, not Styrene. You can order Styrene from them, but the numbers are different. Yes, ABS is a more pliable plastic than Styrene, but 35 years ago when I was doing industrial modeling, the big supplier then was Engineering Model Associates (EMA). Back then Plastruct was a tiny spin off of their business. As computer modeling became the engineers choice of methodology, industrial modeling fell away. Like any smart company, EMA shifted their focus from the engineering community to the hobby community. Check out Plastruct’s on line catalog, they have some great stuff. Pay attention to the material differences though.

Bob C.

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

Forrest - The softer nature of Plastruct material is that their prime product is ABS, not Styrene. You can order Styrene from them, but the numbers are different. Yes, ABS is a more pliable plastic than Styrene, … Pay attention to the material differences though.

You mean the Styrene has numbers which look kind of like this?
IMG_5083

IMG_5082

IMG_5081