Large Scale Central

Continuing

I personally would be upset if LSC closed their door after all these years because of ?

Deleted Member said:

I personally would be upset if LSC closed their door after all these years because of ?

I work with teenagers all day long. They seem to at least know when to shut up. Your not helping the cause David Russell aka Rooster, aka whatever you think is funny at the moment.

Glad that Bob at least gave us 13 more days to try and get contact info for the people we want. The people I talk to already don’t need LSC to keep,in communication.

Craig Townsend said:

I work with teenagers all day long. They seem to at least know when to shut up. Your not helping the cause David Russell aka Rooster, aka whatever you think is funny at the moment.

Glad that Bob at least gave us 13 more days to try and get contact info for the people we want. The people I talk to already don’t need LSC to keep,in communication.

Then why post on LSC if you have what you need ?

Deleted Member said:

Craig Townsend said:

Then why post on LSC if you have what you need ?

AAAAAAAAAAARGH! Enough!

I am fairly new here ( I think 2014) and learned tons on this site and mainly because of here I have a garden railroad up and running. I hope that BD will find enough good to keep it going . if not, then I am glad to have talked to a lot of the regulars here and hope to one day meet you all. Thanks Bob, yours is a thankless job. So I want to send a big thank you for allowing me to join.

Greg Elmassian said:

I agree, there is a simple set of rules posted by Bob, and they are not being followed. Simple as that, his site his rules. I suffered ALL FIVE in my heavyweight post. They are posted as a sticky for all to see: (I apologize for finally losing my cool and responding in kind when I believed nothing was going to ever improve)

It seems it’s time for a much simpler, and much more strictly enforced site policy. Violations will get a warning with an explanation, second violation will earn a 30 day suspension, third will earn a lifetime ban.

Be Nice.

You’ve been invited into my living room to talk trains. Whether you’ve come to ask questions, or to generously share what you know or what you’ve done, remember that we’re all here to learn, and have fun, together. Be welcoming and patient, especially with those who may not know everything you do. Oh, and bring your sense of humor. Just in case.

That basically covers it. But these guidelines may help:

1. Rudeness and belittling language are not okay. Your tone should match the way you’d talk in person with someone you respect and whom you want to respect you. If you don’t have time to say something politely, just leave it for someone who does.

2. Be welcoming, be patient, and assume good intentions. Don’t expect new users to know all the rules - they don’t. And be patient while they learn. If you’re here for help, make it as easy as possible for others to help you. Everyone here is volunteering, and no one responds well to demands for help.

3. Avoid off-topic, and filler posts. Stay on topic within the thread, and contribute to it. Don’t post just to increase your post count…

4. Don’t be a jerk. These are just a few examples. If you see them, report them:

• Name-calling. Focus on the post, not the person. That includes terms that feel personal even when they’re applied to posts (like “lazy”, “ignorant”, or “whiny”).

• Bigotry of any kind. Language likely to offend or alienate individuals or groups based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. will not be tolerated. At all. (Those are just a few examples; when in doubt, just don’t.)

• Inappropriate language or attention. Avoid vulgar terms and anything sexually suggestive.

• Harassment and bullying. If you see a hostile interaction, report it. If it keeps up, disengage - we’ll handle it. If something needs our attention, you can use the contact us link at the bottom of every page.

1. Use the Report feature. The forums have a method to report offensive, annoying, or any other inappropriate content. This is the easiest way to let me know something is up. Don’t respond to anything you don’t like, EVEN IF IT IS DIRECTED AT YOU. If you do, you become part of the problem. Report it instead. If I get a number of reports about the same content, I will take action, most likely suspending the offending account.

In summary, have fun, and be good to each other.

Greg,

You raise many good points. Speaking as someone who has benefited from a friendship with you for many years, I would like to offer a couple suggestions.

First, for anything you’d like to change on this site, and I know you have much background on the technology, I think you should privately speak with Bob, not publicly. This is Bob’s site, something he personally created, is personally paying for, and supports as a hobby. It’s not some public or even commercial thing where anyone can make demands. If you’ve not privately discussed your concerns with Bob, you should. Otherwise, perhaps you shouldn’t raise them publicly here, because there’s no lobby factor; Bob runs this, we benefit, that’s it.

Second, you might consider confining your personal aggravations to personal means of communications, e.g., PM’s or emails. Such matters, however important they may seem to either party, will never be solved on a public forum, but only escalated and exacerbated. Sometimes, when that personal conversation happens, a much bigger understanding and benefit ensues. I hope that happens with you and David-Rooster, because both of you have made enormous contributions to the hobby, and have so much insight to offer.

Cliff

Cliff, the part in white, except for the first paragraph right after my name, are Bob’s rules, at the beginning of the General Forum, on a sticky.

I’m not asking anything, I copied Bob’s post on the rules and am stating that all five of his rules were violated on the “heavyweight” thread I started.

I did not say anything else, other than apologizing for violating a rule myself and calling someone a jerk.

Greg

Bob McCown said:

AAAAAAAAAAARGH! Enough!

how i can understand your feelings!

but i hope, that you follow the suggestions from Bob Cope and Chris. kick not all, but those, that step on your nerves.

we are all old or elderly persons. there are little chances, that we change our manners.

treat us like apples. foul apples have to be thrown out, not be polished.

to the other (gentle)men,

as much, as my fingers itch, to type names, i will stay with stereotypes.

this thread here, and who “thanks” whom, says it all. a bunch of old guys, who self-righteously think their own personal ego is what makes the world go round.

and people, who are part of the problem, telling us, how to treat others.

we’ve got them all:

guys with a lot of knowledge and the social skills of a sledgehammer.

jesters, who do not understand, that jests and ironie are lost on humorless persons.

thought-police, who tell us what to write and how to spell it.

attention whores.

burnt out or sick old men, who don’t get much done anymore (i’m afraid, i must count myself to this group)

a slowly dwindling group of active railroaders and modelers (with the anual highlight of Mic’s challenge)

what too many of us do not have:

the wisdom, to ignore, what does not please us.

godd… it! it’s a hobby! and we all are supposed to have mastered to walk on our hindlegs and behave civilised.

(/rant)

I think its a shame that the most recent threads with the most daily activity, are the ones dealing with the subject of bad behavior. Now that one member is showing up as “deleted member”, maybe we can all get back to what this site was intended for, sharing information, ideas, and suggestions about model railroading.

I want to thank Bob for putting up with this foolishness, and dealing with the issues that arise. I also want to apologize for anything that I have done to escalate the situation, and also anything I have done to offend anyone. I value the interactions I have here on LSC, and I still hope that Bob leaves the lights on for us.

Greg Elmassian said:

Cliff, the part in white, except for the first paragraph right after my name, are Bob’s rules, at the beginning of the General Forum, on a sticky.

I’m not asking anything, I copied Bob’s post on the rules and am stating that all five of his rules were violated on the “heavyweight” thread I started.

I did not say anything else, other than apologizing for violating a rule myself and calling someone a jerk.

Greg

My apologies Greg, I didn’t realize those were Bob’s rules… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

the wisdom, to ignore, what does not please us

This, as Korm eloquently says, is the cause of all the rancor and nastiness. On the Internet you have to learn to be a Big Man and quietly ignore all abusive bullies. Ignore someone who posts a contradiction on your thread. Stay quiet or respond mildly if attacked. It’s the only way to continue a civil discourse.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH! Enough

That was my reaction too. Some folk just don’t get “engage brain before opening mouth”.

Korm, most eloquently stated, but a bullseye on the issue.