Large Scale Central

Coaches for the Emily/Stirling Single

I brought everything in after the smell had dissipated, and put it together (no screws) on the shelf. I’m impressed! Too much black - I may have to do the roof in grey instead of black - it needs another coat anyway. And there’s the clerestory windows to worry about - they are currently covered in tape and still green.

Lots of little details to fix. The 2 nearest doors for the baggage compartment need a better defined line for the center gap. I think they only had 1 handle, so that’s fine. The window glasses that are filling some blank spaces have gaps, but I may decide to live with that. The curves for the panel adjacent to the duckett came out nicely.

It needs a little more primer on the lower edges and then I’ll fix this stuff.

The coach is turning out really well Pete! I’ve been lurking and peeking in on this thread occasionally. I’ve always liked the Stirling Single and am looking forward to seeing it with the finished coach. I always enjoy watching you work too. You may not have a fully equipped shop at you disposal, but you always find a way. Quite inspiring.

Pete Thornton said:

I brought everything in after the smell had dissipated, and put it together (no screws) on the shelf. I’m impressed! Too much black - I may have to do the roof in grey instead of black - it needs another coat anyway. And there’s the clerestory windows to worry about - they are currently covered in tape and still green.

Lots of little details to fix. The 2 nearest doors for the baggage compartment need a better defined line for the center gap. I think they only had 1 handle, so that’s fine. The window glasses that are filling some blank spaces have gaps, but I may decide to live with that. The curves for the panel adjacent to the duckett came out nicely.

It needs a little more primer on the lower edges and then I’ll fix this stuff.

Pete,

You do realize that the ties are sitting on the proper Amtrak fluting for the sides or perhaps you do know this and ignored it.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Build looks great even though it’s not my cup of tea. Love the odd lines and irregular windows like AMTRAK !

You do realize that the ties are sitting on the proper Amtrak fluting for the sides

Rooz, you totally lost me (again.) What ties?

Nice catch Rooster. And the car is really looking good Pete

Nice work Pete. On the Emily I had sort of figured it was .5" to the foot, just measuring the big wheel and reading it was 8’ and the models wheel is 4". But who knows with the way companies do things. Anyway, keep posting your work.

Pete Thornton said:

You do realize that the ties are sitting on the proper Amtrak fluting for the sides

Ah - that ribbed shelf liner. It was there when we moved in. I don’t do Amtrak, so if you want some, it’s yours. The wide shelves on the other side of the workshop/pantry have lots of it.

Just a tad cooler yesterday, so I grabbed the rattle cans and went out to do a bit of touch-up. The red primer looks much better now I sprayed from the underside, and the clarified door gaps will do.

I did the roof grey and I’m quite happy with it. This morning I removed the blue painters tape to expose the sides of the clerestory, which are green with black “windows”, as you can sort-of see. I’ve been wondering how to paint them, but I see the wondows are more square than I thought. A good bit of masking on the wondows and roof and I should be able to paint around them.

Maybe a good addition for your tool collection Pete:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=MI-7&Category_Code=FINPROD

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=MI-7&Category_Code=FINPROD

Liquid masking, peals off when done

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Maybe a good addition for your tool collection Pete:

Liquid masking, peals off when done

Hey, good thought! I have heard of painting the windows with grease so the paint doesn’t stick, but having liquid masking tape is good. (They also have Liquid Decal Film for repairing old decals - I have lots of those!)

However, in this case, as I will be cutting around the windows with a sharp knife anyway, I’m not sure that regular straight tape won’t work just as well.

I wonder if I can paint liquid masking tape on the ‘glass’ without painting the whole thing. Seems better than using grease. We will see.

Maybe a good addition for your tool collection

Except they have a $20 minimum order (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)I’ll have to call Star Hobby and see what they stock. Edit: Yep, they have the mask in stock.

I took a better look at the clerestory, and the windows are indeed square, so tape will work.

It was cooler today and raining until late afternoon, when it got really humid. Nevertheless, I still figured I could chance the painting.

(The duckett is just held on with tape to see how it will look. And the body seems to have shifted in that second photo!)

It definitely has the look of a Midland compartment coach I am after. Not at all sure about the automobile paint - I expected a rich glossy finish. I think another coat or two is called for.

Well, this automotive paint is interesting. The can says it is acrylic-laquer, and it is unlike any rattle-can enamel I have tried. It seems very thin, and it dries very quickly - you can re-coat in a few minutes. As it is thin, it settles in to the various depressions and runs off the high spots. This is after about 5 or 6 coats, including one very thick coat that I sprayed on then turned the car on its side so the wet paint was upwards.

As I only have 2 cans, I resolved to have another go just painting across the window frames to see if I could add some coverage (!) This morning I did at least 4 more coats and here’s the result.

It’s not perfect, but it will have to do as I am out of paint. I wouldn’t call it ‘crimson lake’ nor would I say it was very shiny, but hey, you can’t have everything.

I like it Pete, seems to have nice depth and picked up the 3 dimensional highlights around the windows

Jerry

Pete,

THe real ones weren’t perfect either. That is a beautiful coach. Looking forward to seeing it with the engine. Please? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Here’s the result of the Microscale Mask experiment. The first 2 windows were masked with tape, but that was taking so long I resorted to the mask fluid. I don’t think I used enough - a thick layer is called for, as some window coverings peeled right off, others had to be scraped - like the third one here. I also touched up the overspray of red on the grey roof in a couple of places.

And having run out of paint (I finished the 2nd can on the ducketts) it was time to install windows.

Rick - we’re a long way from getting it together with the engine. I have 2 smaller coaches to finish (just removing the noses on Annie and Clarabell,) but the Single needs it’s Smallbrook Conversion kit fitted. Then we’ll have a good-looking train!

As usual nice work !

Pete said - " I have 2 smaller coaches to finish, but the Single needs it’s Smallbrook Conversion kit fitted. Then we’ll have a good-looking train!"

Quite unfamiliar with what this will look like. Do you have a prototype photo you are using as an example?

Pete Thornton said:

The “Track Ties” Pete!

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Almost done. I got my L&B decals out and found a GUARD and some numbers. I also found my gold extra-fine paint pen and gave it a pinstripe - probably need to do it again. The door handles and grabs need a touch of paint.

The paint is definitely a problem. One side is decent (above) but the other is strange. It isn’t as obvious from a distance, but this is certainly turning in to a 10’ model. And those ducketts didn’t come out very well, despite using the same paint. I am presuming that the white resin underneath with very thin paint is the reason for the mismatch.