Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southern October 2017 Ops

Saturday 10/14

Arrived yesterday afternoon about 1430. Ken, BruceandJean, Buddy and Fran, plus son Matt and Teacher Mark ™ were already here. Explored the latest changes to all the “BS” and the new “Memphis” and Power Plant Loop is very impressive. All this happened over the Summer. I thought I had a pretty good idea of how it was going to look, but it is way over the top Impressive! Anxious to start some of the long runs.

Temps were a little warm, but as the afternoon wore on it turned in to a beautiful evening and we did most of the setups. All the switching puzzles are setup and I think most of the track has been checked for any problems. So after 12 years of planning and building, it seems like things are moving toward Andy’s ideas of Ops. In 2005 Andy and I looked at this soy bean field and he told me his plans. This was after many sessions of Ops on the KVRwy, visits to Marty Cozads railroad empire and many thoughts, discussions and visiting other railroads of all scales.

Today is predicted to be warm. BS OPs, what’s new? A major change in weather is due overnight, so we’ll see what that brings. Today begins with breakfast at the Little Nashville Truck Stop and everyone gathering there.

It really is impressive. I took some pictures with my phone and they are up on Facebook. The camera pictures will have to wait until after I get home.

Very nice work, Andy and Jane!

Great Saturday of the October Bluestone Southern Ops Weekend! A little warm, but plenty of cool down time inside to keep it tolerable.

Started the day with the Blu-Mem (Blufield Memphis) Run to check out the new track. And then ran the Amtrak daily turn over the new trackage, using local Bluestone Southern Power, because of designated power not being readily available, out to the scenic overlook loop around the outside of the power plant loop. Train Orders were stated as to slowly round the scenic loop so passengers can enjoy the view and fauna. Most of the train fans were checking out the power plant loop and if anything was going on. As railfans, none of us have ever done that.

“Clean up call” was assigned the MCL2. I was assisted by the able crew of Jeremiah and Caleb. Young trainees, full of interest, sugar and energy. Yes, they wore me out, but were attentive and learned the routine of keeping the train under control, through the twist and turns of the EVWRR. trackage.

At ten after 5 Sunday morning, the rain came in. Because of this weather guestimation, all rolling stock was brought in at the end of the day on Saturday. The draught ridden lower Washington County area is filling in the cracks in the ground and if the continued weather guestimation says we may clear by afternoon. If rain continues all morning, kayak and canoe rental could be strong this afternoon. Another day begins and the fun will continue.

Yes, just a splendid day, Saturday.

Jean and I started out with the Industrial Park Local. It was a great train for her as Andy had already set up a couple of chairs as well as a canopy for shade. I struggled initially until Ken stopped by and suggest that I first move the deep wells at Dot’s Imports. After that everything just clicked.

After that Ken and I took the unit coal train (25 hoppers) out past Memphis. No switching, so an easy run, but we got to see all of the new stuff.

Then we took out MCL2. A Very long run from Evansville to Okraville. 15 covered hoppers and 2 boxcars with a little switching along the way and then exchanging hoppers at Okraville. We got to visit the rest of this huge layout!

A very fun day and many thanks to Andy and Jane.

Sunday was a very different day with high winds and short trains. Ran a pair RDC’s from Blufield to Memphis and back. Next Blufield to Evansville, with an engineer trainee. Turned the throttle over to the replacement crew and they ran the Evansville Western tracks. Actually, it was a relaxing, great day! Lots of great food, conversation, a little stroll with a train and sitting around watching the firepit, minus a fire. Overall, a perfect weekend! And so raps up another, shall we say interesting, year of great outside ops.

Next year’s schedule should be published shortly. Mark you calendar, make your plans.

This last Ops session for the year ran a bit different from other Ops sessions…

Weather for Friday and Sat was great, so Friday afternoon, we started running the ““set-up”” trains… 6 set-up trains were run…

Saturday was a fantastic day of running… We had a total of 23 folks here during the day… We actually started running trains about 1030, I believe… Ran a total of 22 trains, then brought all the cars and equipment in, resulting in running 8 Pick-up trains…

Saturday’s high was 89 degrees, and Saturday night, a front was coming thru overnight… The front arrived here at 5:10 in the morning, and provided us with an inch and a half or well needed rain, as we’ve been in a drought most of all summer… It also lowered the temperature, which resulted in a high of just over 60 degrees on Sunday, however, the clouds disappeared quickly, and the sun was shining brightly all afternoon…

The trouble after the front passed thru was the winds… Folks had the option to run trains if they desired, however I figured that with 20 to 35 MPH wind gusts a lot of the freights cars would be blown over, as has been the case in past windy Ops sessions… So, Sunday wound up becoming a great time to enjoy each others company, and food… However, Sunday we again had 23 folks here on and off during the day… As Ric stated, The RDC’s were run on several passenger trips, and a Climax was run as a railfan extra, hauling a flatcar carrying a bulldozer and a caboose…

Am sure pictures will follow in the coming week, as folks arrive back home and recover…

Want to pass on my thanks for all who attended, making it a great weekend…

Amtrak has some power issues, and the only unit left to spare was a Bluestone Southern NW-2… Maint crews rigged up generators in the Amtrak express boxcar behind the coaches to insure power to the coaches.

Below is Amtrak turning on the loop after Memphis to head back north…

Amtrak is continuing it’s turn and ready to head back into Memphis for it’s Northbound run…

On the tracks behind Ric is a MEM-BLU freight awaiting for it’s crew for departure after Amtrak departs.

Below is the Unit coal train departing Bluefield at the Y-bridge, heading into Sparta on the Sparta Sub.

And the Unit coal train as it departs Woodlawn heading south to Memphis and the Power Plant…

Below is the Freeman Spur local (FSL-1) after it departed Freeman Spur, and crossing the bridge to enter Woodlawn on it’s trip back north to the Bluefield Yards

Below is a shot of the EVWR Local (MCL-2) as it has departed Okawville and is running in the cut heading back to Evansville.

Below is the congestion at Addieville as MCL-1 works the Addieville elevator, and MCL-2 waits for MCL-1 to clear the mainline… And, in the cut below the bridge, is the Freeman Spur local on the Sparta cut.

Below is a shot of the Overlook Local train on the Hilltop Sub bridge heading into Bluefield, as the freeman spur local is running the Sparta Sub below.

Below is a shot from the Bluefield cliff looking across the bridge starting the Hilltop Sub, then over Woodlawn where MCL-1 is working the Woodlawn interchange and then onto Evansville is the background at the base of the hill.

Below is a shot of Mark Operating the RDCs, heading south to Freeman Spur.

Below is a shot of Petes Climax departing Memphis heading back North to Bluefield.

Below is Jim’s buggy taking the interchange track into Woodlawn…

Below is a shot looking over the Y-bridge that starts the Sparta Sub towards the Bridge that starts the Hilltop Sub…

LOVE IT !

Where is the mail going that Amtrak is hauling?

" Rooster " said:

LOVE IT !

Where is the mail going that Amtrak is hauling?

Anywhere but your house… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Great pics! This was really a great “Ops Weekend”! Still reflecting on how much fun we had.

Wow, what a great weekend! I REALLY enjoyed this.

It started out Friday with just a tour of the railroad as well as time to renew old acquaintances. I had not been there for two years and there’s been a LOT of work done. (Even Andy did some of the work! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif))

But Saturday was the real day for operations.

First, here’s the track plan of the BlueStone Southern.

Oh, and looks are deceiving. But, if you want to follow along, right click on this and open in another tab. If you’re not familiar with the Bluestone Southern, you’ll want to refer to this to see where the pictures are taken.

Saturday was the REAL day for operations and I wore myself out with running trains.

First up was the Industrial Park Local. Jean and I did this - it was perfect for her, since Andy had already put up a couple of chairs and a canopy at the site, so Jean didn’t have to walk around.

The Industrial Park Local

Pickup train in the Bluefield Yard (the basement) and proceed out the Hilltop Subdivision on the bridge. Depart Bluefield Yards with 3 Deepwells, 3 50 foot boxcars, 3 50 foot refrigerator cars, 2 40 foot boxcars, 1 centerbeam flatcar and 1 woodchip car.

Proceed on the bridge until the caboose clears the switch into the Industrial Park mainline, then back into the industrial park.

Back into the Industrial park and start switching.

The sign in the yard tells you where everything goes; it’s basically replace like for like.

It’s an interesting puzzle and I was initially stumped until Ken stopped by and suggested moving the deepwells out first. After that things clicked in place.

Oh, but it does look like it might be a COLD winter! This guy was surprisingly FAST.

We back out of Industrial Park via the Sparta Subdivision and head back to the Bluefield Freight Yards, AKA the basement.

Next train up was the coal train. Ken and I took this one, although it doesn’t begin to require a two man crew. But at least you have somebody cool to talk to!

The Unit coal train start in the Bluefield Coal Marshaling Yard within the Bluefield Yards. In other words, we got our train from the yardmaster in the basement.

We head along the Sparta Subdivision.

25 hoppers. It’s a long train. Below, we’re headed down the grade after Sparta.

Below, crossing the bridge after Woodlawn Junction; that’s Evansville in the background. We’re headed past that towards Memphis.

Below, still crossing the bridge as the locomotives make the turn towards Memphis.

Below: The unit coal train approaches Memphis.

Below: A view of the Power Plant location, looking from Freeman Spur; Memphis is in the foreground (picture taken on Friday)

What a run. After we do the loop at the power plant, we return the train to Bluefield Yards.

Along the way, there’s some strange sights. As we near Bluefield, we meet the “Amtrak” train. Not sure WHERE they got THAT locomotive! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

An easy run, as it is a unit train and there is no switching. But at least we get to have a LONG run. Or, so we thought until Ken and I team up to take out MCL-2.

EVWR MCL-2 (local)

We are to depart Evansville Yard with 15 covered hoppers and 2 50 foot boxcars.

But, first we have to make up the train.

Then we leave Evansville, headed up the hill.

Continuing up the grade…

We go through Bluefield and head around towards Sparta. At Sparta, we exchange our boxcars.

Then it’s down the grade towards Woodlawn Junction.

We prepare to cross the diamond at Woodlawn Junction, while Ken points out the obvious. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Then it’s up the grade towards Nashville.

Around the trestle… (Addiville elevator spur is just around the corner)

We pass Addieville and finally arrive at Okawville.

Here we exchange our 15 covered hoppers.

And head back to Evansville the way we came.

It’s a LONG run, but lots of fun.

I’m pooped! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

But, it’s time to put away our trains; Sunday forecast is not looking good. Rain in the morning and windy later on.

On Sunday, I decide not to run. The wind is fierce enough to blow all the boxcars off of the tracks and I don’t need that sort of frustration that comes with re-railing my cars every other foot.

But, the RDC come out… They stay on the track! Here, Ric and his RDC approach Memphis - just over that bridge.

I’m already making plans to switch Freeman Spur next year.

Or, maybe I’ll switch Overlook again…

And I have not yet run a train to Memphis…

While not running, one can always relax at Log Henge…

What a great weekend! Thanks, Andy and Jane (and everyone else) for making it such a good one.

Love the concrete mainline ties for AMTRAK!

I would also like a video of what Ken was really saying.

Just fantastic stuff guys and thanks for the pics as they say more than one can write or type!!!

Besides Roosters can’t read anyway

Thanks to all for the pics. I love to see this RR. It has all the things going on that I like. I sure wish I lived closer!

Joe Paonessa said:

Thanks to all for the pics. I love to see this RR. It has all the things going on that I like. I sure wish I lived closer!

I wished I lived closer as well! Right now I only go once a year; it would be nice to go more often.

You are a wee bit closer, but not enough to make much of a difference. As it is, I have decided to take an overnight stay along the way; 12+ Hours is really long, especially changing time zones on the return leg.

Great layout and thanks for all of the photos. Very nice and looks like it a lot of fun to run on.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The “concrete ties” are a great addition that AndyC has done to distinguish the mainline. Looks and works great! I want to adopt this idea to distinguish different tracks. It can also be done with different colored ballast. Just a great idea. AndyC is painting all the outside ties to give some UV protection. Especially this seems necessary with the “American Profile Ties”

Joe Paonessa said:

Like Bruce, I wish Andy lived closer instead of out in the middle of nowhere…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) The hospitality and the food alone is well worth the trip. We only ran trains on Saturday due to the weather, but Friday afternoon was spent getting reacquainted with the railroad and getting it “polished up” for the ops session. I had a great time.

I had a great time at York a few times back because of the talk we had. I think people like Ken can make all the difference. So when a meet takes place and so many great modelers are involved, it becomes an event to remember.

I wish I was there! The pics make it feel closer.