Large Scale Central

Beating the Boredom - Turnout build(s)

Thanks guys,

Bruce - No progress on the layout - except in my head. There was a promise made to build a deck this summer before I started the layout. I’m staring at a pile of framing timber on the ground as I type this… That’s my summer break project, unfortunately.

I never clicked to using a disk sander either till I was staring at it - I got this one so I could use the belt. The rest was more of a slow dawning in my brain over several build attempts. Glad if it helped someone.

Cheers
N

Well, after nearly 2 ½ years it’s time to stick a fork in this and call it done…

8 #6’s and 6 #5’s made, with another ½ dozen tie strips of each ready for track. I stopped here as I think the next ones will need to be custom fitted to the layout - looks like I’m going to need passing sidings and yards starting on curves to save some space.

Last bits done over the winter was making a bunch of standard throw bars from electrical formica. I made 40 or so once I started so I shouldn’t run out anytime soon.

The #5’s went together pretty smoothly, so I think the production line bit finally came together once I had a solid (repeatable) build process. Shouldn’t be too hard to turn out a few more when I need them.

Thanks for following

Cheers
Neil

Cliff does he remind you of someone ? :rofl:
Nice work Neil

1 Like

“I’ve loaded both cad and pdf files into my freight shed (Neil W / Turnout builds) if anyone else wants to use them. All dims are in millimetres, Rail is AML/SV code 250.”

Since the Freight Shed is gone, do these files exist anywhere else?

Thanks,
Bob

You bet, he reminds me of… let’s see… I got it! Neil Wiggins!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Way beyond my skills, Neil, very inspiring!!

How did you make those perfect shallow grooves in the ties???

Thanks Sean.

Bob, I’m not sure how we do that anymore. PM me and we can swap files via email if you like. If anyone knows if there’s a fileshare setup with the new software sing out…

Cliff - I don’t think so. Just a matter of try, fail, beverage, ponder, try, fail, beverage… until your OCD is satisfied. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’ve seen enough of your work to know what you can do.

The grooves were done with another jig, and a router. Just a slap up throw away job to clamp them and a couple of spacer strips to guide the tool. That’s why I did so many once I was set up.

Here’s a teaser for the next saga. Anyone done a scale scarf joint on an 8" x 8" bridge chord? lol.

Cheers
Neil

Now THAT sounds familiar!!
:grin:

Mine goes something like this:

Beverage, beverage beverage … try … stronger beverage, even stronger beverage … done :grin:

Nice approach Dan, because in the end the project either seems perfect or doesn’t matter. Can’t lose!!
:laughing: :crazy_face:

[edit]
Kreep it up Niel! Whateryer next shteps? (hiccup)
:grin: