Large Scale Central

Bachmann Track -- Any Practical Uses?

I have some I think in the shed as turntable leads…and with engines dripping after coming in from a run, they are rusted. But intact.

I laid an entire abandoned 10% logging line with the stuff. One season, too rusted to consider using, every year I threw more away as there just wasn’t any metal left, and the ties and UV did not play well together.

Really was junk when they made it.

I used to have pictures I’d post when this question came up. No idea where they are right now.

I could take a shot of what’s left.

I remember a forum poster on one of the various forums who claimed to be a retired engineer who dealt with coverings. Was gonna TREAT that stuff and really have something.

Couldn’t get to the inside, couldn’t guarantee wheels wouldn’t rub his environmentally hazardous coating off, no way to coat the inside, and no way to make it conduct power.

Encouraged him to spend his time and money, come back in a year and report…and never heard another peep outta him, and it’s been what, 10 years?

Works very well in some application for which it was not envisioned.

I had switches, too, gave them away years ago. I can’t see trying to do R-1 again.

TOC

TOC,

Thanks for the observations. If you have the “what’s left” photos, that’d be neat. I’ll be curious what my abandoned siding looks like in a year, now, making this a worthwhile experiment while I wait for plants to (hopefully) come in.

Eric

Hot, humid, salty air climate vs. cold, usually not humid, less salty… would say your “disintegration rate” would be higher Eric…

Greg

Curmudgeon mcneely said:

I have some I think in the shed as turntable leads…and with engines dripping after coming in from a run, they are rusted. But intact.

I laid an entire abandoned 10% logging line with the stuff. One season, too rusted to consider using, every year I threw more away as there just wasn’t any metal left, and the ties and UV did not play well together.

I used to have pictures I’d post when this question came up. No idea where they are right now.

I remember a forum poster on one of the various forums who claimed to be a retired engineer who dealt with coverings. Was gonna TREAT that stuff and really have something.

Couldn’t get to the inside, couldn’t guarantee wheels wouldn’t rub his environmentally hazardous coating off, no way to coat the inside, and no way to make it conduct power.

Encouraged him to spend his time and money, come back in a year and report…and never heard another peep outta him, and it’s been what, 10 years?

I had switches, too, gave them away years ago. I can’t see trying to do R-1 again.

TOC

Perhaps you could find those pictures that you have when this topic came up or perhaps allow Greg to host them on his fantastic site so we could all share the experience/ education you have stringently worked on.

As usual, Rooster can only add noise and garbage to a thread, why don’t you just shut up?

I spent some considerable time yesterday searching. No luck.

Probably there, but no longer in folders.

Been so wet and dark, didn’t think a new photo would turn out.

Once it quits raining this morning, I’ll take a photo or two.

TOC

Got tired of trying to get the posts to shift for a second and more photo, so you get four posts.

Royal PITA.

The stuff with almost zero rail left got pitched years ago. This is a couple of easily accessible spots.

TOC

" Rooster " said:

Perhaps you could find those pictures that you have when this topic came up or perhaps allow Greg to host them on his fantastic site so we could all share the experience/ education you have stringently worked on.

Do you actually kiss your mother with that mouth?

Is there some underlying mental/emotional issue causing these non-helpful outbursts?

I posted this for Eric. Not you.

Self-policing my hindquarters.

TOC

Is there some underlying mental/emotional issue causing these non-helpful outbursts?

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

" Rooster " said:

Curmudgeon mcneely said:

TOC

David, I hope you are referring to the red words above from Rooster… you need to follow the incessant prodding and harassing posts… TOC presented information on topic, the Rooster as above harassed him… and TOC did indeed produce pictures, but the harassment from someone that just swoops into a thread to give people crap is what you should be noticing, not just reading the last post on a thread.

If indeed you were referring to Rooster, then sorry, and thank you for looking at what is really happening…

Greg

Gentlemen,

we are so few active posters left here on this forum.

wouldn’t it be possible to keep it civil?

TOC,

Mahalo (thanks) for your efforts to find the photos. I am very, very glad I had my ancient LGB track at the start of our railroading endeavor a couple years back. I cannot imagine the frustration of trying to make a go of this hobby inside or outside with our environmental conditions and this B’mann track! As I mentioned, in the worst case, my little abandoned siding disappears under some plants as mother nature takes its toll. In the meantime, it provides a neat point of interest in an area of the Triple O that recently defoliated itself.

Have a great weekend!

Eric

Joe Zullo said:

I have repurposed the ties to make very good track for a track leading out of my train shed to the main railroad using aluminum rail in 6 foot sections.

I actually repurposed a section from my sons train set as a temporary fill in piece before the bridge. I think it might still be there?

Curmudgeon mcneely said:

" Rooster " said:

Do you actually kiss your mother with that mouth?

I posted this for Eric. Not you.

Self-policing my hindquarters.

TOC

David, (I’m David as well)

I greatly appreciate the insight you offer and thank you for taking the time to post the knowledge that you have to share on Large Scale Central.

This.

Korm Kormsen said:

Gentlemen,

Korm Kormsen said:

Gentlemen,

Apparently its NOT possible. Someone needs to tell me why I should continue to spend a large amount of money to keep the forums going just so a handful of children have a place to harrass each other.