Large Scale Central

Aristrocraft Smoke Unit can it be made to pulse?

Greg Elmassian said:

The solution with the decoder can be adjusted easily, will increase smoke under load, decrease under drifting, can have different setting for idle, reacts better than a relay, will last longer than trying to make the relay follow chuffs, can have the chuff rate scaled to avoid the machine gun effect, and on and on…

If you have a good sound card, then it will probably already drive the smoke unit with no other components.

Greg

I have a couple of Aristrocraft smoke units from diesel locomotives that I want to use in steam locos I’ve changed the wadding and inproved the smoke output 100% but I would like to convert them to pulsed smoke units, is there anyone out there that may know how I can convert them, I mean other than just interrupting the fan power with a contact. I’m looking for the fan to run constant when power is on and the loco is not moving. Any info or ideas would be appreciated.

The original post never mentioned DCC and many who are following this and don’t want to deal with dcc can use my method that would also work with simple battery power, or a battery backup to keep it running if running with track power, assuming they want it to continue.

“can be adjusted easily” Maybe and maybe not.

And all that other stuff may not matter a rat’s azz to people who are only interested in chuffing smoke and only want to outlay a few dollars to achieve the effect.

Since you don’t know anything about DCC, how can you comment on “can be adjusted easily”… dang site easier than soldering and unsoldering components and changing the design. (Which I do indeed know about, my experience with electronics predates the 555 timer)

Yep, he says any ideas… no problem.

My comment was on comparing the 2 methods, you do not need to take is as a personal affront, defend your method and your features and contirbutions.

You make these things personal, and that is why I have blocked you on MLS. It’s not a competition.

Greg

If I don’t know DCC, how can I easily adjust things? And aren’t there others reading this who could be in the same boat?

So…, that’s how I can comment on it.

Sigh…

You just want to make trouble Todd…

OK, no more from me on this topic… you know everything, relays and 555 timers will take over the world… look it’s 1975 again!

I’m gone… sorry to the op… email me if you would like an honest discussion and pro’s and cons, how to do. I’m interested in helping you not doing battle with Todd.

Greg

We can’t seem to go three months without someone sniping at someone else, can we?