Large Scale Central

Aristo Mallet questions

Jason Gallaway said:
Sorry, might have been an imagined issue. It just seemed that people were taking Aristo to task for articulating both engine units on their mallet model, instead of going prototypically having the rear unit hard-mounted. Must have been a longer night than I realized.

I don’t mind taking Aristo (or any MFG) to task when its deserved, however, I do beleive in equality for all… if Aristo is to be tasked for turning their 2-8-8-2 model into a 2d-d2, then LGB should also be tasked for turning their 2-8-2 model into a 2-4-4-2, which if memory serves, is articulated in the standard mallet fashion.

LGB was. At length. Taken to task. Didn’t do any good, as the ventilating groupage shouted everybody down. Have to maintain R-1 compliance, ya know.

And then, you could turn it the other way 'round as well. This is Slate Creek #6 … under rebuild almost from its delivery date, and now very nearly ready to go into service. Please note, this is a “Spy Shot” and as such not intended to be a neat and clean finished effort.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/slatecreek/_forumfiles/SCRY6.JPG)

Also notice that while I was directly involved in what I wanted, and what changes to make, that the work is not my own … I have a technical advisor of my own, without whom this would not have happened, ever, particularly with my propensity for being involved in far too many projects at once … like my 50 ton diesel, my forney, my 45 tonner, scenery, etc. etc. This one, however will hit the rails soon. Radio/Battery, Phoenix, rear engine fixed, front engine modified and pivoting. Tanks left in place due to structural concerns, “backstory” will be they were left for weight needs. (There are photos of the SVRY/Uintah running in this configuration, though for a different reason.) When it IS finished, a complete going-over will be made available, with photos, etc. This just seemed like a good place for a sneak peak, and the discussion that a reverse conversion was even possible. Matthew (OV) Oh, and once it arrives here, there’ll be decals, details, finishing touches, graphite, and other things to make it part of the SCRY family.

Yo Terry!

How is the sound install coming?

Years ago Aristo decided to save money by not picking up from all wheels because the “prime mover” design was so good at picking up power.

Greg

Heck mine is now battery power I love to run it slow and it does has sound… easy way to do it…

I haven’t touched it since my last post. Ben stuck at work for days on end it seems.

Terry

Install went smooth and easy. Customer still runs track power so it was just dropping in the sound card and reed switches.
The Mallet runs, looks and sounds good.
As far as the board in question goes, the tender box is labeled “new version 2011”. Never saw that style board in an aristo tender before. Board was labeled “long tender”. I would assume the long tender and vandy tender have the same innards…
Thanks for the help guys.
Terry

Yep, moved the socket from the boiler to the tender…

Greg