Large Scale Central

Adding headlights?

Went to Google up that website to see if they might possibly have 10mm led like the bright white ones I got from Radio Shack before they left town, but in warm white instead. Discovered I’d bookmarked that website 8/9/2009 as 6:29 pm, and then seem to have forgotten about it.

It is a trip to watch that 10mm with the 20 degree beam sweep around the curves - and light up the near wall of Mike’s neighbor’s house.

Put one each in headlight of a Bachmann PRR 4-6-0 big hauler & of a HLW Sparky.

While glue was drying on my entry in Miks build challenge project 2016 I thought I would try installing a headlight in the Garratt. All went well.

I drilled a hole in the back of the headlight and ran the wire through the tender and soldered it to the switch where the Bachmann light would have gone. The LED was a bit bright so I put a drop of yellow paint on it which gave it a nicer glow. I used a bit of hot glue on the wires to fix the led in the proper spot within the headlight then painted the back of it black to stop the shine through.

The one thing it doesn’t do is go off and on according to direction but that is OK with me. The next time I have some time I will tackle the 2 front headlights.