Large Scale Central

3D printing turnout parts

Still need to gauge the wheels correctly, and you would also have to standardize on one manufacturer of switches AND be sure to purchase products with good quality control, i.e. consistent specs.

There is no free lunch if you want real reliability, or long trains or both.

Greg

From what some may think, from my “LIMITED EXPERIENCE”,; due to upgrading, and replacement of some "Guardrails, and all THROW BARS, on all Aristocraft, Wide Radius, and #6 switches, we can boast of an almost 90% FRUSTRATION FREE operating experience, without derailments mostly due to OPERATER ERROR. Of course all rolling stock, before being put into service has the back -to-back wheel spacing checked and corrected…and couplers standardized with body mount Kadee #1 gauge couplers.

We operate, every Saturday morning, attracting 15-20 “Members”…weather permitting…May 24th through, some time in October.

Track, and switches have to be properly compatable, with the same standards, in order to prevent frustration in running trains…just like the prototype has the same requirements…whether you like standards or not…

Fred Mills

So Fred’s “lunch” consists of:

• proper back to back
  • body mount couplers (and I assume installed at correct height)
  • “compatible” track
  • “compatible” switches

A little work goes a long way to trouble free operation.

Greg

Yes, Greg…thank you for pointing out that proper coupler height is VERY important, ALWAYS based on the Kadee coupler HEIGHT GAUGE…not just another car thought to have couplers at the correct height.

Yep, while body mounting is worlds better than truck mount in stability, Kadees especially appreciate proper height. The smaller #1 couplers are even more appreciative of a “solid and proper” mounting.

Greg