Large Scale Central

3D Printed Trucks

Hot off the printer…Hilyer archbar bogies…

Cool (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)I wish I had some of those (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)I’m reworking the spring detail to look like real springs. I’ll send you the updated file when I’m done.

Here is another truck design if you are interested. Ex Milwaukee Road bay window I need a set of these and figured i would have to build up my own

If you can get me a better close up photo, I’ll give it shot.

I think I even have s close up.

In fact Dan I can get you all the exact measurements you want. It’s an hour from my house.

I’m willing to design them, if you want to make the trek to get the measurements. If you have a close up straight on phot, the. I only need a couple measurements and I can determine the remaining dimensions. the wheelbase and the height of the truck frame is about all I need.

Dan Hilyer said:

I’m willing to design them, if you want to make the trek to get the measurements. If you have a close up straight on phot, the. I only need a couple measurements and I can determine the remaining dimensions. the wheelbase and the height of the truck frame is about all I need.

We will put this in the bucket and try and remember to do it when I want to take a drive. I have a plan to very accurately model this caboose and the folks there were kind enough to let me climb all over it and take measurements and photos of it so that I can model it. So I know I have detail photos of the trucks but did not measure them (about the only thing I didn’t measure). When i get a day to take a drive (thats always a good thing to go there and look at their stuff) I will do just that.

Devon in the old days: guys made measure sticks and propped them in their photos. Say a 6 foot long stick with alternating white and black one foot sections with a couple of feet a the end divided into 6" sections and one 6" plus 3",2",1" for the rivet counters.

Makes it easy (read; easier) to scale the items as pic sizes change.

Some guys made pocket sticks from these;

Devon can do a selfie, in front of the wheels while wearing his foil hat … that should be a good indication of sizes …

John Caughey said:

Devon in the old days: guys made measure sticks and propped them in their photos. Say a 6 foot long stick with alternating white and black one foot sections with a couple of feet a the end divided into 6" sections and one 6" plus 3",2",1" for the rivet counters.

Damn good idea John. I am sure it would be very useful for Dan, as much as the pictures and written measurements alone.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Devon can do a selfie, in front of the wheels while wearing his foil hat … that should be a good indication of sizes …

I almost spit out my coffee. That is funny, I no longer have the foil hat. dang it.

Devon Sinsley said:

John Caughey said:

Damn good idea John. I am sure it would be very useful for Dan, as much as the pictures and written measurements alone.

Yep, that’s all I need. And Devon, no rush. Just whenever you want to get the info to me, I’ll be happy to draw them.

Devon Sinsley said:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

I almost spit out my coffee. That is funny, I no longer have the foil hat. dang it.

No more Jiffy Pop Popcorn head man?

David Maynard said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

No more Jiffy Pop Popcorn head man?

Maybe it’s time for the; Armadillo Helmet;

LMAO

Well, at least its a bit more durable then aluminium foil.

Question for the weathering gurus: What is the best base color to start with for painting and weathering trucks, black or white? Or does it really matter? My first inclination is to use black since that is basic color of the trucks. But the filament has a semi-gloss sheen to it so I will have to cover it with a flat black anyway. So then I figured if I was going to spray the whole thing maybe white would be better. Or am I making this way to complicated?

Iron oxide (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)