Large Scale Central

2018 Passaro Challenge: Stairway to Heaven

Go to a kiosk at the mall and get some small Anchor chain (link style). Cheap costume stuff.

I did say the fine tooth blade was after you had cut smaller finger chasers, y’know.

Didn’t there used to be a tower on that office?

John Caughey said:

Go to a kiosk at the mall and get some small Anchor chain (link style). Cheap costume stuff.

I did say the fine tooth blade was after you had cut smaller finger chasers, y’know.

I’ll check out and see if I can find better chains…I do seem to recall something about finger chasers, but I guess seeing (smoking) is believing! You’re thinking of my yard office challenge (you have a good memory!) that had the tall observation/control tower; this is different but similar. Onward and upward…

John Passaro said:

John Caughey said:

I’ll check out and see if I can find better chains…I do seem to recall something about finger chasers, but I guess seeing (smoking) is believing! You’re thinking of my yard office challenge (you have a good memory!) that had the tall observation/control tower; this is different but similar. Onward and upward…

I wish I had a good memory, I have an odd memory … As is: It’s really odd what I remember.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

As a retired jeweler I notice those details.

Smaller teeth take smaller bites, it’s the price of smoooooth(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I agree with Dan that the addition of a few details like decks turned a cool build into a down right excellent one and one that is believable and alive. Now onward and upward. But don’t get to cocky in your attempt to reach Heaven, it didn’t work out so well for those Babel guys.

New rule, we need a separate “artist” category. Between you and Dave there is almost a unfair creative advantage. I can’t seem to find a place to purchase my inner artist for less than $30 bucks. Nice work my friend.

Devon Sinsley said:

New rule, we need a separate “artist” category. Between you and Dave there is almost a unfair creative advantage. I can’t seem to find a place to purchase my inner artist for less than $30 bucks. Nice work my friend.

I’d trade some of my inner artist for some of the craftsmanship skills you and a few of the fellas around here display!

I decided the next area to work on would be where the loads from the mine need to get into the ore cars below. SPOILER ALERT: There’s a lot of pictures here for not much progress.

Here’s the area:

Here’s the tunnel entrance where the ore car trains come in and out, and the area that needs to be gapped from the upper mine level to the tracks:

I made a template of the deck, thinking I was being real smart planning ahead, then made the deck.

Problem was, my template didn’t match up with where the tracks below are. Geez. So I needed to add on to the deck itself. I wasn’t about to start again from scratch.

I painted in bottom and top, and the top is way way way too dark, but I’ll rub the local dirt and rock into it and it will weather it and lighten it at the same time. I’ve made this mistake before and the old scrub scree into it routine works great.

So here it is in place and it needs leveling and a whole lot more support. Also, I need to fill in the landscaping. Also, I need to finish painting the rock surfaces…that grey showing through is …edit: it needs finishing…also, my rock work is seriously lacking in scree and vegetation to make it more realistic.

The cribbing support, or the support that looks like cribbing I guess would be a better way of saying it, is cannibalized from another part of the layout.

So that’s it for now.

I need something resembling sluices where the miners can throw the ore into the sluice and it slides, rumbles, and tumbles down into the ore cars. I’m thinking two “sluices” and one that comes to rest above the level of the locomotive and the other that folds up and down. If anybody has ANY IDEAS yours truly is MORE than willing to listen. If you have any pictures, or any ides of how to get the ore from the upped level deck into the ore cars, please let me know. I’m liking my idea sort of, but I’m not crazy about it, and a search of my books and the internet isn’t helping me one bit really. I’m on my own here and I don’t much care for that in this instance.

edit: once I get this area finished, I can finally start on the stairs, finally…how much time do we have left???

You’ve got choices: under the half pipe is the old chute that you want …

The stuff on top skips the tipple where the miners saved up their ore.

Bingo! That’s it!!!

John Caughey said:

Holy crap, there is a little bit of everything going on in that picture to please everyone.

If you’re going for the half-pipe look you might check out schedule 80 PVC irrigation pipe. It’s real thin wall stuff. Should be pretty cheap.

John Caughey said:

@John P: I’m afraid to be the one to break it to ya buddy … but I do believe you’re gonna have to build a lot taller mountain to fit all that in (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif). But hey, it will look way cool. No sleep for you for the next couple of weeks.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif) Ya know, now that I think about it, I guess you could just build a short piece of the chute to fit the mountain you already have and get plenty of sleep … Nah … what would be the fun in that. Yep, taller mountain, model the picture in its entirety and no sleep, that’s what we want to see. Now get to work (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)Is it done yet?

BTW: the deck looks good. Can’t wait to see how it turns out once you finish it with your scree technique.

Dan Hilyer said:

…No sleep for you for the next couple of weeks.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)…

Thanks, Dan, but I think I got the Challenge sleep deprivation covered already!

John Passaro said:

Dan Hilyer said:

…No sleep for you for the next couple of weeks.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)…

Thanks, Dan, but I think I got the Challenge sleep deprivation covered already!

I seem to have that ailment too. If I’m not staying up working on the project, I’m lying in bed thinking about. But still enjoying every minute of it.

I made another support for the mine deck, built a CHUTE, or at least the top half, and got it in place to see how this would work, and made it the proper greater-than-45-degree angle so that ore doesn’t get stuck tumbling down the chute into the waiting ore car, and, and, A N D, I finally started the stairway to heaven, at the lowest point of the mining district and it and a couple of ladders shall rise and rise to the heavens level by level. Many thanks to the fellas who chimed in with their expertise of the technicalities of stairs with risers and tread calculations and all that, although I probably butchered it, but it was helpful anyway. The first picture of the stairs build shows my highly engineered calculations. (By the way, I made the chute out of old fencing because I needed a rougher look; however, I am counting it against my 42" inches of 2x4 volume. I may need more by the time this is finished, assuming it gets finished, but I will declare when that happens.)

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves from here. Thanks for looking, and, as always, if you see something that ain’t right or needs a better idea, speak right up!

Thanks again guys.

coming out nice

John, those stairs look right on!!!

John Passaro said:

Bingo! That’s it!!!

It’s an easy mistake, fill the same structure with water and transport logs and you have a sluice, plain water and it’s an aqueduct!

Colin Criswell said:

John, those stairs look right on!!!

Thanks, Colin. I think I’m on the right track.

It doesn’t show in the picture, but in general I need to do a better job of sanding down the raw wood before painting. And the pictures are really annoying me because I have got to do something about my rock painting; having them unfinished is driving me crazy!

Excellent work on the stairs, John. i don’t believe you will have any issues getting ore to slide down the CHUTE.