Large Scale Central

2017 ECLSTS

Vincent D'Agostino said:
We are not worried, plenty of hotels will gladly take our money in that area.

Same here. 20 minutes on the phone was enough time to put into this.

You need me to call them up and express my feelings for my friends ?

Or perhaps drive down there and tell them personally?

Sure, I should have talked to them personally last week when I was in York. Yea. Right.

The room is all set for the “Drag and Brag”, we party on.

And, by the way, thank you all for the updates.

Because of the statement of no rooms, Jan Called, to verify.

Used the number posted here and that got her a fax headache (you know loud noise in your ear).

Anyway, if have any questions or want to try for reservations again. Try

(717) 846 - 9500 ask for Marlyn at the front desk. Be sure to mention “East Coast Large Scale Train Show”,

not just “Train Show”, the TCA books on a different weekend and uses just “Train Show” (like they are the only ones that matter).

In their mind I am sure that they are…

Any news on how Mr. Hartman is doing?

Also, any word on how Star Hobby is handling the hand-off? Since all seems to be a “go,” I presume they’re doing fine.

Well, it’s finally February, which means ECLSTS is coming in slightly less than two months.

Thanks Ric for confirming the Drag n Brag. And about the “early bird” Thursday gathering, anyone planning on being around?

This is not meant as a “Sob Story”…just a simple expression of facts to my many friends, and fellow Model Railroaders.

I’m sorry to report, that I can’t find anyone of our Ottawa gang that will be attending.

I would very much like to be there, even just to support the show, but mainly to meet my many, many great friends, who I have had the privilege to meet over the years.

The Canadian Dollar, and travelling to York, has become a major problem, that my income can’t overcome. The Canadian dollar is only worth about 70 cents on the best of days, and a simple rush trip down, one night in the hotel and return is no fun for me at the best of times. I like to visit friends on the way down, and not feel rushed. Dropping in at the Nothumberland Station Restaurant, with two couples from around that area, and having great Oysters on the half shell is a treat I would not miss, along with the operations at the station while we “Feast” are not to be missed.

To visit with David Russell, and son, then to help Ric and Jan set up on Thursday afternoon, is a must.

The show on Friday, and a bit of it on Saturday…egads, is not to be missed. The Drag & Brag is a highlight of the trip Too, where we meet and renew friendships. To actually stay in the same hotel as the D&B makes the whole Friday night worthwhile, and safe, even if it costs a few dollars extra.

Saturday afternoon/Sunday is a great time to drop in on Ken Brunt, and his great progress on probably the most enjoyable LS outdoor railroads in the area, and not to be missed…anyone who hasn’t spent time with Ken, and his railroad, has missed what the whole game is all about…a more caring, friendly person can’t be found, and his skills are willingly shared with everyone, he meets…shame on you if you don’t visit…

Then, for us it is the long trek back to Canada. The whole thing would cost me at least $1000 Canadian Dollars, not to mention added travel health insurance (I have been diagnosed as having high blood pressure, so this drives it WAY UP THERE, even though it is very much under control)

The whole trip, or as I like to think of it, HOLIDAY, is at least 5 days, on the road, with hotels.

The person I used to travel with; no longer wants to travel. I don’t own a vehicle, and I haven’t found anyone else that wants to take that long a holiday, due to their other responsibilities. My renting an automobile would drive the costs over $1500 (Canadian), and I don’t like or enjoy long distance driving, especially alone, any longer.

The days past, in York, will always be in the best of my memories, and I hope the great times for everyone will continue for years to come.

Fred

Thanks for sharing the story Fred. I don’t have any helpful suggestions, only regrets that I won’t finally meet you in person next March.

I hope things go well in your neck of the woods, and especially with your next hosting of the “American Invasion.”

Cheers,

Cliff

Awwww, it’s like looking at cute kittens.

Any dates for the American Invasion so I can check my calendar?

Fred, thanks for telling us what’s going on. I hear you, I think we all do.

David, that’s the nicest thing you ever posted.

The OVGRS Gang informs me that there is another “American Invasion of Friends” this year (2017), and I’m supposed to make sure I’m here to enjoy it.

The dates seem to be: Thursday, July 13th, through Monday, July 17th.

Thursday is for those that care to operate on Barry Birkett’s railroad, in Bellville Ontario, then Friday and Saturday, the whole party is at the IPP&W in Ottawa, Ontario. Sunday usually is a sort of rest-up, social, and relax day, before the gang moves down to Morengo New York, to have a run, and picnic at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. The FLLS offer running/riding on their 1", and 1 1/2" scale tracks, and running and operating on their large # 1 Scale railroad…a great opportunity down there to meet some great people who make you feel greatly welcome. They are a class act.

If anyone needs more information (Other than “American Invaders” get a 30 cent bonus, every time they spend an American Dollar in Canada, and American money is accepted in most places up here, or can be exchanged at any bank in Canada, without any problem) they can contact me, or talk to Ric Golding, Ken Brunt, and others at the ECLSTS (In the Alcove, or at the Drag & Brag)

There is no charge for all the fun and friendship, but there usually is a small charge per person for any food provided. Bring your own Bheer, Whine, or soft drinks. Americans can easily bring up to; one case of bheer (24), or one bottle of whine, or one bottle of booze, EACH, into Canada, without any problem.

In July you should not need snow shoes, skis or down filled jackets any time of day or night. Most hotels/motels have indoor plumbing, and hot and cold running water. No you will not need a block heater in order for your vehicle to start in the morning. NO, you are not allowed to transport a firearm across the border, or carry one in your vehicle, or on your person in Canada. Six guns are not carried on your belt, and very few people wear spurs on their boots, even if they plan on riding a wooden horse at a merry-go-round.

Canadians tend to be rather peaceful, and it is very safe in most towns, and cities in Canada. Every place you go, anywhere in the World, has its "Kooks, and bad people, so you always need to be careful, wherever you go.

There are opportunities in Ottawa, and Bellville, to go for a ride on a Via Rail passenger train, if you like riding trains. You could take a day trip to Montreal, from Ottawa. Montreal is a great place to visit. You can have a grand lunch right at the Via Rail station in Montreal.

Brockville Ontario, which is right along the St.Lawrence River, not far from Ottawa, is a great place for watching major CNR freight trains, along with Via Rail passenger trains. It is on the main double track line between Montreal and Toronto. CPR has a division point at Smiths Falls Ontario, a bit closer to Ottawa, but is not as busy, Via trains from Ottawa to Toronto pass through, and cross CP in Smiths Falls.

On the Sunday, with advanced notice; visits to at least two major indoor model railroads, an HO, and an Sn3, can possibly be arranged. Ottawa is a major hive of many, many first class model railroads, and dedicated model railroaders…they are a friendly bunch.

Unfortunately, the Federal Museum of Science and Technology is clossed, due to major rebuilding going on, although I might be able to arrange a small tour of the shops, where railroad restoration is carried out by the Bytown Railroad Historical Society.

Fred Mills (613) 723-1911

(Anyone that wants to come directly to Ottawa, due to extra driving distances, is welcome. Thursday here will only be a social day, and preparations for the Friday operation will be happening, although Barry has a worth seeing, great operating Railroad, in Bellville, and is a very wonderful host)

I apologize; I did not mean to hijack the thread on the most important and “Must Attend” Large Scale show of the year; The East Coast Large scale Train Show .

I just started out to answer a simple question about “The American Invasion of Friends”, asked by one of the respondents to this thread, and sort of got carried away, as I have been known to in the past.

Fred Mills

Fred Mills said:

I apologize; I did not mean to hijack the thread on the most important and “Must Attend” Large Scale show of the year; The East Coast Large scale Train Show .

I just started out to answer a simple question about “The American Invasion of Friends”, asked by one of the respondents to this thread, and sort of got carried away, as I have been known to in the past.

Fred Mills

Satan knows we are only on Page 2 before you hijacked the thread and marked his book so I will pray for you Padre !

For my own info, and maybe for others, could you elucidate and indicate (3x Double Letter + Double Word = 36 pts) which days on which layouts have track power? Some of us are very backward, but will bring a lllloooooonnnngggg extension cord.

Sorry, I was talking about the American Invasion.

Lou Luczu said:

For my own info, and maybe for others, could you elucidate and indicate (3x Double Letter + Double Word = 36 pts) which days on which layouts have track power? Some of us are very backward, but will bring a lllloooooonnnngggg extension cord.

Lou

The “Timesaver” CAN/HAVE track power.

You need to hook up with Nico’s boy and tell him to run your equipment on the Timesaver. He will make Ric clean the track if it’s dirty. I know this as a fact!

We decided to do something a little different this year with our accommodations.
Going to stay at the Hershey Farm Inn over by the Pennsylvania train museum & railway.
Still going to attend the show on Friday, but this way we will be closer to the other places we visit while we are down that way.
We like going to the railway and museum and we never miss Kitchen Kettle Village.
Should make for a nice little getaway!

Why is a Timesaver called a Timesaver?