Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: Glue for LGB plastic

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 19, 2006 3:13 PM EST
      • Your Host in Littleton, MA

• Thanks

Ive spun this post off from the thread on bashing a 1:20 flatcar. Anyone know a good solvent cement that works with whatever kind of plastic that LGB makes their rolling stock from? Ive tried all the solvents I have handy, and they dont even dent them. Goop and Epoxy join, but dont have much holding strength, since the plastic is so smooth it can't get a purchase.

Anyone?

Bob, your Site Host and Benevolent Dictator.

• January 19, 2006 5:04 PM EST
      • Lancaster, Ohio

• Thanks

Well, I know I've seen this noted somewhere so I did a search on Brand X and this is what I came up with.

James Tapper, Technical Support of LGB of America states that: The LGB repair department uses UHU Contact Cement. This isn't available in the U.S. that I know of. Any contact cement safe for plastics should work.

Another respondent stated: Good old Pola 592. LGB plastic is Luran S, nothing at all like PVC nor ABS.
      The LGB plastic (lauran) is flexable unlike the other manufacturers plastics. Pola make several glues, some come with buildings. These don't work well with LGB plastics. Pola 592 is claimed to work with the LGB plastics.

The respondent also stated it was available from Watt's

Yet another respondent stated that they have found several kinds of UHU glues at Michaels' and JoAnn's and one
      that comes in a yellow and robin egg blue tube. It says on the tube - "Craft glue for: Polystyrene Foam & Craft Foils". The instructions on the back of the tube definitely say apply to both sides and wait 10 minutes before pressing together. I've used it a bunch and it works great.

Hope that helps !
    • January 19, 2006 7:07 PM EST

• Thanks

Gary Buchanan said:
      Well, I know I've seen this noted somewhere so I did a search on Brand X and this is what I came up with. James Tapper, Technical Support of LGB of America states that: The LGB repair department uses UHU Contact Cement. This isn't available in the U.S. that I know of. Any contact cement safe for plastics should work. Another respondent stated: Good old Pola 592. LGB plastic is Luran S, nothing at all like PVC nor ABS. The LGB plastic (lauran) is flexable unlike the other manufacturers plastics. Pola make several glues, some come with buildings. These don't work well with LGB plastics. Pola 592 is claimed to work with the LGB plastics. The respondent also stated it was available from Watt's Yet another respondent stated that they have found several kinds of UHU glues at Michaels' and JoAnn's and one that comes in a yellow and robin egg blue tube. It says on the tube - "Craft glue for: Polystyrene Foam & Craft Foils". The instructions on the back of the tube definitely say apply to both sides and wait 10 minutes before pressing together. I've used it a bunch and it works great. Hope that helps !
      Hey, great info. Thanks. Have to go dig at Michaels crafts, I guess.

• January 25, 2006 2:31 PM EST

• Thanks

Found a solvent that works on the LGB plastic. MEK softens it right up, and lets styrene attach to it. Seems to work nicely, but I'll reserve final judgement for a day to see how it hardens up.

• January 25, 2006 3:43 PM EST

• Thanks

Bob McCown said:
      Found a solvent that works on the LGB plastic. MEK softens it right up, and lets styrene attach to it. Seems to work nicely, but I'll reserve final judgement for a day to see how it hardens up.
      OK, I've let it dry for about an hour, and I cant get the piece of styrene off the LGB plastic. I'd call this a success.

• January 25, 2006 4:37 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Bob,

You really need to be careful with MEK. You know, brain cells, organs other minor body parts?
    • January 25, 2006 5:34 PM EST
      • Yuma, Arid-Zona

• Thanks

What he said....

When I was in my young teens, I used a lot and I mean a lot of Ambroid glue building model airplanes made of balsa. You know, the kind of orange stuff?

I just liked the way it smelled.. hehe Didn't know it was a cheeeep high !!

Oh ! I still use it but sparingly and no sniffing, you can count on that !!!!

I prefer Guinness Stout. Cheers all around,
    • January 25, 2006 8:33 PM EST

• Thanks

Yea, any time I'm working with solvents or glues, I have my exhaust fan going, and, if its not sub-zero outside, the window opened a bit too. But, dang, it does hold that LGB plastic. (does the happy dance)

• January 26, 2006 2:30 AM EST

•  
      • Thanks

I also use MEK on Bachmann-LGB-Styrene combos, it's certainly more agressive than regular poly-weld.

In the UK Slaters market the stuff as MEK-PAK. Basically the magic words are "contains Halogenated Allphatic Hydrocarbon."

You re right, you dont want to inhale it.
    • January 26, 2006 4:27 PM EST
      • Bonham, Texas

• Thanks

Luran S is made by BASF here is what they say about adhesives.

Adhesive bonding
      Examples of solvents suitable for adhesive bonding are methyl ethyl ketone, dichloroethylene and cyclohexanone. Parts made from different grades of Luran S may be bonded to one another, and furthermore parts made from Luran S may be bonded to parts made from ABS or SAN.

If you want to know everthing about Luran S the try this link. You will see LGB trains in the document.

http://www.louispoulsen.com/products/attachments/literature/z1/BASF%20LuranS.pdf

Dennis in Far North Texas

• January 27, 2006 8:49 AM EST

• Thanks

Dennis Cherry said:
      Luran S is made by BASF here is what they say about adhesives. Adhesive bonding Examples of solvents suitable for adhesive bonding are methyl ethyl ketone, dichloroethylene and cyclohexanone. Parts made from different grades of Luran S may be bonded to one another, and furthermore parts made from Luran S may be bonded to parts made from ABS or SAN. If you want to know everthing about Luran S the try this link. You will see LGB trains in the document. http://www.louispoulsen.com/products/attachments/literature/z1/BASF%20LuranS.pdf
      Neat link, Dennis. Thanks!

Forums Modeling Modeling

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google