Large Scale Central

Reopening the layout for another summer

I’m at our place in Colorado and getting the layout back up and running. Posted some progress pics below. And I’m posting daily progress pics on my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/southwestchiefmatt/

Or simply southwestchiefmatt on your phone Instagram app

Oh and if you are not familiar with our layout, either click on the link in my signature, or go direct here:

http://southwestchief.deviantart.com/gallery/29995261/G-Scale-Model-Railroad

After a fews days of clearing pine needles, starting another summer of trains. 1st turnout installed:

Some grading progress:

Only one bent track section from elk this year…not too bad:

Turntable installed:

Roundhouse installed:

Working down the line the artesian well is overflowing nicely for the town river:

Further down the line I installed the steel bridges today. More progress tomorrow (weather permitting)

Nice Matt, going back together pretty quick this year.

Chris

Matt, really like the trackwork, turntable and bridge! Is that Llagas Creek track?

What a great turntable. And everything else!

Michael Kirrene said:

Matt, really like the trackwork, turntable and bridge! Is that Llagas Creek track?

Yep, Llagas Creek. Code 250 nickel silver rail on their “narrow gauge” ties

Cliff Jennings said:

What a great turntable. And everything else!

Thanks.

The turntable was made by Fall Creek. I couldn’t find an online link but I think they still advertise in Garden Railways magazine. It was a gallows turntable, but I removed the a-frame portion to look a bit more like the turntable in Durango, CO. We’ve had it for many years now.

Yesterday was a little rainy, so I did some indoor work on the logging camp equipment. Converted a crane into a log loader:

Today I got the track work completed. 1st test run with the speeder to ensure the line is ready:

So you let it loose, if it comes back, things are fine. If it doesnt come back, oh well, the driver was expendable anyway. :wink:

David Maynard said:

So you let it loose, if it comes back, things are fine. If it doesnt come back, oh well, the driver was expendable anyway. :wink:

Pretty much :slight_smile:

The driver’s buddy (that came with the old K-Line speeder) is now the crane operator. There’s a 9 volt battery under the roof for power.

Let there be buildings:

Any plans to expand the line Matt?

Chris

Chris Kieffer said:

Any plans to expand the line Matt?

Chris

Expand? It’s big enough :wink:

I still have 24 buildings to bring out!!!

One addition this year is an oil pump. Pictures will be posted of course once it’s installed

Nice Matt, seems like its going smooth this year as far as getting things ready to roll. I would love to see an overhead of the whole layout, need to get a drone and go around and video everyones layouts to get ideas of what everyone has!

Pete Lassen said:

Nice Matt, seems like its going smooth this year as far as getting things ready to roll. I would love to see an overhead of the whole layout, need to get a drone and go around and video everyones layouts to get ideas of what everyone has!

Drone view is a great idea Pete. Although I might lose it in the trees :wink:

I still have the old “cab” view video. Probably time for new one since the layout has changed somewhat since that video was taken.

All buildings out!!! Now it’s time to play with trains.

Few pics from today.

The new oil well pump by J.S. Wodcrafts is so awesome. And yes it does operate. I hid the on/off switch in the tank (removable roof)

Matt,

Your Railroad always looks so scenic; as well as neat,well organized, and realistic.

It is always a pleasure to see pictures and videos of it.

Rick

Thanks Rick.

Went out for some night shots…and to make sure all the lights were working :wink:

wow!

Welcome back to your railroad, Matt. Always appreciate your work and the pictures of your layout.

Very nice!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)