Large Scale Central

5A DCC Amplifier

Got my prototype to run first pass. This is a motor driver chip that I have wired to convert logic level DCC to 14v 5A DCC. I was working with the LMD18200 but that sucker was $16 from mouser! Ouch. And it only did 3A. This is the L298N which is only 3 bucks from Sparkfun. Big difference! Now I just need to layout a PCB and get it off this breadboard. Sometimes rainy days are not so bad…

Interesting.

The L298N is rated at 4 amps total, that is 2 amps max per H-bridge.

How are you getting 4 amps total from the L298.

Well, until I actually pull 5A through it (which I don’t think I will do often) it’s an approximation based on the datasheet on page 2/13. 2.5A per channel, Repetitive (80% on –20% off). Since I’m sending repetitive pulses (ie DCC) with periods less than 10ms, I am optimistic. I hope with a good heat sink that I can pull a peak of 5. But hey 4 is good too! (I’ve got 3A in my Dash9 and it just does get warm with a heatsink) Anyhow, the thing is mucho cheaper, works well and requires only one external component (the inverter). So the 18200 is now depreciated even though it’s my ‘gold standard’ when I do testing. Keep in mind I’m not really driving a motor with this, I’m ‘amplifying’ the logic DCC signal I feed into it. A couple of motor drivers I’ve tried are way too ‘sloppy’ to get a good DCC waveform out of. I need a new locomotive to test with I think. Hmm. SD70 or SD40 probably good. Pull some amps.