Large Scale Central

Disconnects

There is an Ebay seller from Sri Lanka that makes plastic bolsters, links, pins and pockets. Fairly cheap, but takes two weeks to get them. It looks like they are 3D printed.

So I ordered some.

Started to make a short string of disconnects. The bolster is thin, but once it is glued and pinned on, it is very sturdy. And the Bachmann small wheels I ordered from Robby fit perfectly.

What they hay, Huh? Something to do.

Those look good John.

You could build so much from that starting point.

Can you tell us who this seller is, so we can get some if we want?

Of course.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/pasidump/m.html?item=151893337814&hash=item235d8c66d6%3Am%3Am_IJWezjOgdXiC8_3nag2mA&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I would add that the journal spring is just for looks, non operational.
The pocket coupler is nice. I’ve used some on my other 2 axle builds.

The seller has been on EBAY for quite a few years now and is reputable…

Looks good. I ordered the same ones a few years back and made 4 wheeled cars from them. You cant beat the price and once painted and weathered they look great.

Got three of them decked. Ran out of journals so last week I ordered another bunch. Now I have one long skinny flatcar. :slight_smile:

Those look great John. Whose journals do you use?

I have one of his kits. Have done nothing with it. Looks pretty good though . . . . . (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Dan, the link is a few posts above. Got em on EBay

Double post

Sorry John. That one is on me. I saw that link and just didn’t scroll down to see the journals. Thanks for the info.

Dan and others. The journals are thin plastic with minimal detail. There is no ledge cast on the back to rest them on the side beams. They flex somewhat. Any cast metal journal that I have worked with are better. But for a cheap project, I think they will work out. I won’t know until I get some use on them. Like Shawn said, they should look good when painted up. And in my case, apply the ten foot rule as well.

John these are the cars I built using the same journals. These are going on three or four years now and then hold up well.

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

John and Shawn, thanks for the information on the journals. I have been looking to buy a few to build some two axle cars and have looked at Weisman Models and Ozark. They are more expensive than the ones from Sri Lanka. But for what I want to accomplish right now, I believe the cheaper ones will work just fine. Heck, I can always replace them with better quality journals at a later date if need be.

Dan, that’s what I thought as well. Replace them later, if I want to.

Well, I found out you don’t have to put the wheel sets in the journals first, before you fasten them to a side beam. Like you have to do with cast metal journals. They flex enough to add the wheels last. Makes it a little easier to build the car.

Even the price for a complete car kit is less than the HLW mini’s, and with free shipping!

The light disconnects are done.