Large Scale Central

Cement Signal Bases (All About That Base, No Treble)

In another thread I noted that I was redoing my signals. The pole is a piece of brass tube and the “targets” are brass fender washers soldered in place. Bi-color (common anode) red/green LEDs are placed in brass tubing soldered within the fender washer and cut at an angle.

In the past the bases were made of wood cut into the shape of a pyramid with its top lopped off and painted in a concrete color. The pole simply protruded from the base. After several years of being watered and developing cracking with numerous repairs, it was time to redo the bases.

The poles and targets were retained and the new bases are real cement. A hole was placed in the center bottom of a small disposable drinking cup (wax) and the wires and pole pulled through the hole. The pole/targets/cup were inverted on the bench vice so the targets could stick down and the cup sit on the vice jaws. Cement was mixed in a plastic butter tub and poured into the cup. Be sure to work it into all the void spaces. I did this using a finger, pushing into the wet cement and adding more cement as it worked into the cup. Be sure the pole stays verticle and let the mixture harden.

Two days later, tear/cut away the cup and voila:

I like it!

Todd…

Great solution! Quick, easy, weighted, permanent and, natural appearance.

Gary

Todd,

What was the cement mixture? Portland cement? Sand? Gravel? Yours look very smooth, and I want to try this method for my RR.

Joe,

Try Cement All. I used it on my bridge abutments. It sets fast and all you need to do is add water. It set so fast it produces a lot of heat. Excelent material. Here’s a link.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rapid-Set-25-lb-Cement-All-Multi-Purpose-Construction-Material-02020025/202188462

Best feature with Cement All is the low shrinkage factor. I use it for all my cast buildings.

John

PS, our buddy Cliff found an additive (was there all along, I had ignored it) that helps with mixing and uses less water. It also helps castings fill better. I have used it with better results.

JC

John Caughey said:

Best feature with Cement All is the low shrinkage factor. I use it for all my cast buildings.

John

PS, our buddy Cliff found an additive (was there all along, I had ignored it) that helps with mixing and uses less water. It also helps castings fill better. I have used it with better results.

JC

Hey, John. What’s the additive? Or are you going to keep it a secret? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Joe Zullo said:

Todd,

What was the cement mixture? Portland cement? Sand? Gravel? Yours look very smooth, and I want to try this method for my RR.

Quickcrete Commercial Grade Mason’s Mix.

Todd Brody said:

Joe Zullo said:

Todd,

Quickcrete Commercial Grade Mason’s Mix.

Thanks Todd.

Steve Featherkile said:

John Caughey said:

John

JC

Hey, John. What’s the additive? Or are you going to keep it a secret? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

What’s it worth…?. On the shelf with the Cement All are 4" bags of white granular stuff … it’s hot outside I’ll…

There you go.

Oh turns out Cement All is hydraulic too! Sets under water.

John

Bases look good Todd.

CementAll looks like a product I’ll be trying for as number of projects.

Here are some examples of Cement All as I used it for bridge abutments.

I scored the plywood forms to replicate board lumber before plywood was used.

Temporary bridge.

Draw “Howe” bridge abutment form. Next photo finished abutment.

Dan, was a mold release of some sort necessary?

Steve Featherkile said:

No Steve, I had no problem releasing the forms which were Luan Ply/door skin.

Dan DeVoto said:

Steve Featherkile said:

No Steve, I had no problem releasing the forms which were Luan Ply/door skin.

Thanks, Dan.

Nice work, and the signal looks great! Where did you get the brass fender washers?

“All your base are belong to us!”

Hardware store, probably OSH.