Large Scale Central

AML Track Ties- Painting

In another thread (http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22149/iron-island-rr-take-two) I mentioned that I’ve got some AML track ties that are starting to get a bit white from UV exposure. The track has been out for 4 years. I’m redoing the layout and thought it might be a good idea to paint the ties (Krylon Fusion) before reinstalling everything in order to keep them from disintegrating. I realize that AML has a warranty, but I think it might be better to prevent the ties from going bad rather that replacing all of them at a later date. What’s your experience with AML ties? Am I just going to prolong the inevitable? Thanks.

-Kevin.

Kevin,
I have also heard of people periodically spraying their ties with Armor All. I have never done this, maybe some one on hear can attest to it.

I have a bunch of AML track, USA ties that are failing… Ties are turning white and not holding the track in alignment anymore…

Guess I need to talk to AML about it…

Nico- I’ve heard about using Armor All, as well. I think it might be an annual job, though.

-Kevin.

Armorall, spring and fall. It helps keep the ties soft and flexible, too. Or, you could paint them once. The paint weathers them and acts as a barrier against the sun.

Steve Featherkile said:

Armorall, spring and fall. It helps keep the ties soft and flexible, too. Or, you could paint them once. The paint weathers them and acts as a barrier against the sun.

Steve , I know I can trust you not to come up with a smartass answer (TEE bloody Hee )

What exactly is Armorall? Sounds good , snappy soundbite and all that , but there’s 3000 miles of water between me and your shops (I walked it once) and I can’t just pop out and buy it (which I would , on your recommendation) .

That just shows how naive I am , so please explain in words of one syllabubble or less .

Mike

Mike Morgan said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Steve , I know I can trust you not to come up with a smartass answer (TEE bloody Hee )

What exactly is Armorall? Sounds good , snappy soundbite and all that , but there’s 3000 miles of water between me and your shops (I walked it once) and I can’t just pop out and buy it (which I would , on your recommendation) .

That just shows how naive I am , so please explain in words of one syllabubble or less .

Mike

Armor All is a spray on UV barrier that has a good reputation here in the US. Here is the original formulation. If you wander around their website, there are other Armor All products that might be equally useful. Just spray it on and don’t worry about wiping it off, that’s for the motorheads among us.

Another product, equally as good, is 303-Aerospace Protectant. There are those who don’t like it as much as the Armor All, as the 303 doesn’t leave the plastic as flexible as does the Armor All, but I think the 303 does a better job of UV protection, based on observation, without anthing sciency to back me up.

On the other hand, I’ve painted my track, to give it that weathered wood look… mostly.

This Armor All formulation looks interesting. I wonder if it really does restore damaged plastic?

Steve Featherkile said:

This Armor All formulation looks interesting. I wonder if it really does restore damaged plastic?

It does on the automotive plastics e.g. dashboards and all that good stuff. Also provides that new car smell, you close your eyes and believe you’re sitting in a new car. Isn’t that grand?

So, my track will smell new? That’s gotta be worth the price of admission!

Thanks , gentlemen and Steve .

Another military spin-off .

I shall try to find the UK equivalent .

Mike (T’ing GIF)

Steve Featherkile said:

So, my track will smell new? That’s gotta be worth the price of admission!

If your track smelled like a new car when you installed it, the chances are good. I know that my Llagas track smelled of WD40 when I installed it, which isn’t quite the same.

Steve,
do you know, if that stuff just restores the look, or does it give back elasticy to brittle plastic?

(got hundreds of plastic cowboys and injuns, that became brittle, during the last forty years)

Korm, haven’t we all over the last 40 years?

I’ve used armorall, in fact I’m probably one of the reasons it’s accepted now, since when I started using it, most people pooh poohed it.

One of my employees went to business school (MBA) with one of the Armorall executives, the key ingredient (it was invented in southern California to stop rot on the sidewalls of tires) was a plasticizer to keep things supple. The addition of UV protectant came later.

Some of the compounds that make plastic trim “black” again are just toppings to make things look better.

I’ve had very good luck the the Turtle Wax version of Armorall, in the florescent green bottle.

I also have a fair amount of the original formula, about 20 years old.

I’ve used a lot of products over the years and compared the results in long term testing.

Much of my track is 10 years old and not rotted. All Aristo.

Greg

David Maynard said:

Korm, haven’t we all over the last 40 years?

Brittle? Hmmm that’s one way to put.

Or as dainty and fragile as a Dresdner figurine

Korm Kormsen said:

Steve,
do you know, if that stuff just restores the look, or does it give back elasticy to brittle plastic?

(got hundreds of plastic cowboys and injuns, that became brittle, during the last forty years)

I really don’t know what to tell you about restoration of flexibility, Korm. Greg is the one who preaches about that, I was just echoing him. Perhaps he can join in.

dieseldude . said:

In another thread (http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22149/iron-island-rr-take-two) I mentioned that I’ve got some AML track ties that are starting to get a bit white from UV exposure. The track has been out for 4 years. I’m redoing the layout and thought it might be a good idea to paint the ties (Krylon Fusion) before reinstalling everything in order to keep them from disintegrating. I realize that AML has a warranty, but I think it might be better to prevent the ties from going bad rather that replacing all of them at a later date. What’s your experience with AML ties? Am I just going to prolong the inevitable? Thanks.

-Kevin.

Kevin,

I have the AMS code 250 (same as yours only narrow gauge) It was painted with Krylon camo brown

when installed (not Fuzion), some was installed in 2005 and the rest in 2007. Right now most of it is chalking and white, the nail heads and tie plate edges (these hold the rail to the tie) can literally be scraped off with a thumb nail.

Last week I watched a cat jump up on the track on the open lattice bench work and about 2 foot of ties fell to the ground, I thought; “that can’t be good” and gave Accucraft a call.

Warranty as it was explained to me is one year, but they did offer to work with me.

The down side is that replacement tie strips won’t be available until the first of November.

As for spray on magic compounds some say they work and some say they don’t. What I have noticed is that most times apples are not being compared to apples. I have expansion joint sections spaced about my long runs of Accucraft track these expansion joint sections are LGB and they look just like the day they were installed in 2007.

Different plastics different reactions.

Having said all that I would paint them if for no other reason

than to blend the ties and rail to the ballast.

Good luck

Rick

It can restore flexibility as long as cracks have not developed. Normally, since I have Aristo track, it’s the “spikes” that can crack and break off. Of course if you have not removed the screws that hold the rail in place, the “spikes” don’t do much if anything…

The plasticizer that is in Armorall, and in the Turtle Wax product I like will restore flexibility.

The story I got from my employee (who I have known since 1988 or so) who went to college with an Armorall executive is that the plasticizer is a “spiral molecule” that sort of looks like a spring, and it is this additive that makes the difference in plastics between rigid and flexible. This can be added back to the plastic.

Seems like the hair conditioners that penetrate and help brittle hair.

Maybe hogwash, but my track is basically as good today as it was 10 years ago. Spray twice or so a year, I spray when any whitish surfaces appear, 2 to 3 times a year… I just spray it on and let it soak in.

Greg

Rick- Thanks for the info. I remembered that AML’s track came with a warranty- I didn’t realize that it was only for 1 year. This certainly does put a different spin on things. I haven’t read the instructions on the fusion paint (instructions… we don’t need no stinking instructions!) but, I’m hoping that maybe it has some sort of UV inhibiter. Heck, even if I got a few more years out of the ties before the inevitable.

BTW- what was the outcome when you spoke to the folks at AML? Are they going to replace your tie strips?

Greg- Sounds like the Armor All is a good thing. I must admit- my Aristo track has been out for the same 4 years as the AML and it still looks good. I’m sure Aristo must have used some better UV inhibiters in their plastic.

In any event- My AML ties are not fried, yet, and oddly enough, some of them still look real good. I just figured that as long as I’ve got all the track pulled up, I’ll keep looking for some sort of preventative measures. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Keep 'em coming…

-Kevin.