Large Scale Central

Hubley Track Inspection Car

I was inspired to build a Track Inspection Car after seeing Jerry Rangers Hubley Phaeton post last year. Mine is the Hubley 1928 Ford Model A Woody Wagon. The kit was collecting dust and a perfect candidate for this project.

The motor block is out of and old Aristo B unit.

I cut the motor block down to a one drive wheel unit.

Next I had to make power pick ups and am using DCC.

More to come,

Very interesting project! I would not have guessed that an Aristo motor block could be cut down so small.

Looking very nice Dan, I’ve had a few problems with the dcc chip in the Phaeton over heating as I had to fit it under the hood. Looks like you have a fair bit more space in the woody.

Looks interesting. I’ll keep an eye on this.

Ya know, I shouldn’t have even looked at this project cause everytime I do it leads to yet another project I probably will never finish, have this one in my sights so I will be watching this build

(http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/images/dhrr_mow/Mark-Wright/K143-01.jpg)

btw if anyone knows what model truck this is can you shoot me a pm with a model/make

Ray,

The motor block supports the motor at each end of the can, so it was easy to eliminate the gear and wheel at one end.

Very cool. I have one of these kits, I might have to do this, too.

Jerry,

I’m posting more photos the show the decoder in the back of the woody. Yes, lots of room for decoder and Phoenix sound.

I think I’ve got my photo posting strength back, so here’s more. Painting really brings the beauty out in this model.

The front truck is a New Bright, from the junk box, with LGB 20mm wheels. It is the only truck of a small size I could find. The wood finish is to replicate Burled Mahogany a “Custom Option” in 1928.

Original plastic wheels are still on the truck.

This is the Digitrax install. I used Velcro to for easy removal. The windows will be blacked out to hide the electronics.

The decoder is mounted on Formica as an insulator. Small super magnets keep the tailgate closed. The front seat is also mounted using Velcro.

The cow catcher was a “head scratcher” but finally came up with a plan. The base is K&S 3/16 rectangle box tube. K&S 3/32 rod for the outer and center supports and 1/16 tube for the rest. I have a 300watt Weller gun that makes soldering brass quick and easy. It also works well soldering track outside.

Here’s the Track Inspection Car in action. I had to cut 1/3s off of my poor B-Man to sit correctly. The light is a 5mm warm white LED.

The spare “tire” is not a joke, I was a Boy Scout, so I always go prepared!

Well, now I can sit back and run it!

Nice touch with the spare. :slight_smile:

No thanks on the one having to try and replace that spare irl

We need a video of that thang runnin…:wink:

Ken,

That’s in the works.

Really nice !!! Well done Dan

Work nice!

Great job, thanks for sharing.

That is awesome! I have a hubley body with no axles or wheels. I was gonna use it for a garage scene but now you have me thinking. never good!

thanks for sharing.

Terry

Fantastic lookin’ unit !!

will bump it over to some other hubley/ g world fans.

doug c

Impressive finish.The ‘wood’ body really stands out

Very well done. Thanks for sharing your build.