Large Scale Central

A Grist Mill-Part 2

In the latest issue of GR, there was a review of the Stoneworks 3 story Grist mill. The picture showed a red clapboard mill. Since the one I have now is a Pola mill, it looks too European to be on the RGS. What I needed was an Americanized version of a Grist Mill.

When the plans arrived in the mail the first thought I had was Damn, this thing looks familiar. A similar grist mill sits on a siding on Bruce Chandler’s J&B RR. The Smith Pond Mill. Then I remembered Bruce’s article about building it. Since I have no intentions of building it out of concrete and stone, I’m going with the clapboard version with a stone foundation. Similar mills are scattered around this area.

This one is located on Rte. 82, just south of Kennett Square. It’s now an Antique Shop.

Thanks to the Mills name sake, I had plenty of coroplast laying around. The doors I decided to scratch build. The windows are by Precision Products.

Once I had the windows in place I cut strips from 1/4" V-groove siding to frame out the door ways and make the doors.

I made the doors a 1/4" oversize so I could glue them to the inside wall.

What done so far.

More to follow as more gets done…:wink:

Nice work, Ken…

Well done, young man.

Nice Ken does that mean I get another one of your old buildings :wink:

Nice start Ken

It’s too late now but if you have a coro cutter you can split that stuff on one side down the middle (length wise) and make clapboard siding that way

I like the look of the real stuff better…:wink:

Nice start Ken.

Shawn Viggiano said:

Nice Ken does that mean I get another one of your old buildings :wink:

Iffen ya want it…:wink:

Looking real nice Ken, What are you using for clapboard ?

Same stuff I used on the Freight Shed. Precision Products veneer.

a bit of progress…

Coming along nicely.

Lookin’ good, Ken. You’re lucky to have so many neat prototypes in your part of the world.

The stone is going to look great.

Hi Ken,
A couple of questions, first of all “where is West Grove” Delaware County? You mentioned Kennett Square, isn’t that near Rt. 202, south west of Phillie?
Secondly, you also mentioned a 1/4" V-grooved piece, is that what you use to finish the corner edges, OR don’t you bother? And IF it is used, where does one acquire it? Looks like you use wood on the inside to nail the panels to?
We have tried to build with the coroplast, as we acquired a whole bunch of voting signs over the years, but I didn’t like the unfinished edges…
Thanks for showing this building… Love the look… Elaine

Elaine,

I’m from Delaware county, but moved out here to West Grove in Southern Chester County about 40 years ago. Kennett is southwest of Philly and about 15 miles south of 202. West Grove is about 10 miles south of Kennett on Rt 1. We’re located down in the corner of Pa, near the DE and MD border.

You sound like your familiar with this area. Don’t tell me your one of those snow birds that flew down there to escape the weather? I used to drive an 18 wheeler from here to Miami and passed Palm Harbor on each trip, so I’m a bit familiar with that area, too.

Now on the the questions…

The 1/4" V groove is a styrene siding sheet that Evergreen Scale Models sells.

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm

It looks like wood plank siding and the planks come in various widths. It sometimes used for freight car and passenger car siding. Since it has grooves in it, it makes it easy to cut off 1/4" strips for various projects. Evergreen also sells a L shaped piece in 1/4" width that I’ll use to finish off the corners.

What you see now will be covered in a veneer that looks like clapboard siding and the corners finished off with the L corner molding.

Actually the inside braces are ripped from PVC board, then glued and screwed to the inside corners and along the top and bottom edges of the building. Just adds some weight and strength to it.

I find the coroplast very easy to work with and have about a half dozen buildings made from it. There’s also a guy on this forum that works at a sign shop and keeps a few of us supplied in the stuff…:wink:

Both of these buildings have a shell built from coroplast with a Precision Products veneer over that, both the sides and roof. I also use their windows and doors sheets.

If you do a “Search” under Modeling using my name you’ll find a couple of examples of buildings I’ve made using coroplast. Delores Depot, Manco Depot and some others.

Not wanting to detract from all the interest in the Build Challenge, here’s a bit more progress on the Napkin Factory…I mean Grist Mill…:wink:

Have a few gaps to fill in, this batch didn’t want to cooperate. Some of the stones seemed to be bonded together and separating them was a PITA…:wink:

Coming on quite well Ken. As doors seem to be the modeling thing right now I could not help notice that your structure has a lot of doors.

I love following along with all the builds you guys do. It is some great work.

Thanks for sharing.

"You sound like your familiar with this area. Don’t tell me your one of those snow birds that flew down there to escape the weather? I used to drive an 18 wheeler from here to Miami and passed Palm Harbor on each trip, so I’m a bit familiar with that area, too. "

Yes Ken, I’m very familiar with your area, as my Hubby and I are both former Phillie natives. NO, we didn’t do the snowbird routine, but picked up “lock stock and barrel” and moved here some 30+ years ago from Bucks County. It was a crazy idea that took hold after about 4 visits to FL in one year… HE thought he was out of “work options” and had had enough of the winters too. It was the best decision He ever made… I really jumped into trains in the mid to late 80’s (Lionel scale) and when they jumped to G-we did too… Had a 10-year stint of operating Garden trains ONLY in the winter time as part of a neighborhood light display for most of the month of Dec (another fantastic time to be in this state). But, after doing this, buildings became My hook, and after I sold off all of my G collection, I switched to 3 of the other smaller scales, which I still dabble in. So, I’m a crazy refurbisher of “orphans”, for the most part, but I’m always interested in “HOW” people do things, so just became active on this forum… Isn’t it a small world that you know Palm Harbor too!!
I do have many Precision sheets in my stash, and although I’m familiar with Evergreen only have “bits and pieces” of their products. Most of the hobby shops have disappeared here, so don’t see any for sale, but I’ll keep looking for the “corner material”…
Oh, what is the rock material-more Precision? I’ve always put my rocks on by hand, and you talk about a slow process, glue and mortaring is the real pain, not finding the rocks…
Great job, like the look of all of your buildings, can hardly believe their humble beginnings.
Thanks for sharing… Elaine