Large Scale Central

Painting wires

Every time I have painted wires to help hide them, the wires end up sticky or the paint flakes off. I have a six wire connection between engine and tender that I want to paint. Any help? They are not silicone insulated. Maybe vinyl.

Thanks

Marc

I’ve also had the same problem as you. I hope someone can offer a solution.

I use heat shrink tubing, you can cover wires individually or in a bunch. It also remains flexible.

Nico

I use liquid black tape, you can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot.

Nick

I’ve had pretty good luck with Badger’s ModelFlex paint. That or a Sharpie. The latter is a bit more tedious, but effective.

Later,

K

I tried the heat shrink, it was too stiff and bulky. I’ll try the sharpie next.

Thanks

We use a Sharpie with a fine point on cable wires to get in the groves. Wide Sharpie for single wires.
Still black wires for yr’s now.
If you need the color code location on the wires. Do like we do and write them down and stick the paper in the tender or? somewhere for later use if needed.

Neat trick. I just used a Magnum Sharpy on the red wire coming out of 2 of my Bachmann tenders. They look good. Thanks, you can learn a lot from an old guy! No offense intended, because I really admire your experience!

:wink:

TAMIYA sell a Polycarbonate paint (different colours) that model car racers use. It flexes with the body of the car. Should be ok for covering wires (if plastic covered clean the plastic of any oil/grease etc first).