Large Scale Central

Tam Valley Decoders

This is indirectly directed toward Greg Elmassian, but I thought I’d throw it out here for anyone to comment on, if they have knowledge about them. I know Greg has used them in some capacity.

I’m looking at the Tam Valley single/quad/octal servo decoders to run some remotely-controlled switches. I know they can be used from DCC, but they also indicate that they can be driven from 5v logic. Has anyone done this?

Bob

You may want to try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TAM-VALLEY-PRODUCTS/

Ask your question there,they may have your answer.

Richard

They have push button inputs, and I believe this is 5v floating high and pulled to ground when the button is pressed. There are 2 push buttons, and once the controller is programmed, these are used for manual throwing.

The newer units have a jumper to prevent losing your program limits. Be sure to get these.

If you need more information and it’s not on the web email me privately, my friend is a dealer for Tam Valley products and Duncan lives here in San Diego.

Greg

Thanks Greg. The website says that you can use 5v logic, but doesnt actually tell you want that is. If I just need to pull a pin to ground, they’ll work fine.

Time to grab a quad and play with it.

Thanks.

Bob,

Have you given any thought to pneumatic control for your switches? Sunset Valley and Ozark Miniatures (Air-EZ) both offer well thought of products.

Dave Goodsen says he won’t use anything else, of course, being as he is in the environs of Seattle, he is under water most of the time.

I have all pneumatic, run from DCC in my case, 27 volt solenoids.

Another of the group of best decisions I ever made.

My guess is that though Bob is doing something indoors, servos do not fare well in the weather, they are hard to weatherproof.

Greg