Large Scale Central

Cheesy Sound Car - Version 3

Those of you that attended the Drag-N-Brag at the 2005 ECLSTS might remember the debut of my “Cheesy” Sound car…

The build was detailed on MLS at the time. I wanted more than just a trail-car with sound; I added capability for external control (a sound keyboard) and line-level outputs to drive a large sound system. Chuff / Speed could be triggered externally or with a reed switch mounted on one of the car’s trucks. Power for the sound system was derived from the track. As I moved toward battery power for my locos, Version 2 was developed. V2 featured a train-line pass-through for the DC power provided by a trailing battery r/c car. A selector was added so the sound system could be powered by track or the battery car. Version 2A was enhanced with support for external loco speakers. M/U connectors to feed sound to the internal speakers of leading locos was added. Ver 2A made it’s debut at the American Invasion in 2009 behind three RS-3’swith sound coming from all three locos and the trail car, much to Fr. Fred’s delight! Apparently I didn’t get any pictures of my own consist at the Invasion, although I do remember someone else posting them. I did find some pictures of the same consist running at Rooster’s in October 2009…

With the addition of support for locomotive speakers it really wasn’t necessary to have two large speakers in the sound car. By removing one speaker I opened up enough room for on-board batteries and R/C. Version 3 was developed as an all-inclusive trail car for my 1:29 and 1:24 trains. Here is an overall view of Ver. 3 with the roof on and off…

Inputs and Outputs hide behind one set of doors…

Programming and trigger connections (manual keyboard) hide behind the other door…

Connections to the loco include both DC power and Sound. The sound connector is 3 wires to support series-parallel wiring…

Since using a trail-car with only a DC connection defeats the constant lighting feature of the Rail Boss ESC I’m using, I wanted a way to indicate current direction while stopped. I decided to use bi-color LEDs on each end of the car. Green indicates the direction of travel while red indicates the opposite…

A Phoenix 2K2 and a Radio Shack Minimus 3.5 fill one end of the car…

Two 11.1V LiIon batteries, the Rail Boss, a relay for the bi-color LEDs and control switches fill the other end…

The battery connectors (Tamiya plugs) are wired in parallel. This gives several options. When high-current is needed, two batteries can be connected. If high current is not needed, one can power the loco while the other is charged externally. 11.1V provides enough voltage to run my locos at prototypical short-line speeds. The true test will come this winter when powering my SD-45 to plow snow.

Here’s a diagram of how everything is wired. The bi-color LED’s presented a challenge because the RailBoss uses a common current source and switched grounds to drive head and tail light LEDs. I was scratching my head and studying my old digital logic books looking for a solution when Del suggested the DPDT relay. Since I had a 12V relay in stock, this turned into a no-brainier solution. The relay coil gets it’s ground from the Rail-Boss tail-lamp terminal thus it is only energized in reverse. A side benefit is audible feedback (relay click) when switching directions.

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post2/Pheonix2K2-800.jpg)

Diodes were added to the line feeding the back-up battery of the Phoenix to protect against any charging voltage feeding back to the LiIon battery pack. The 100 Ohm resistors on the 2K2 power input terminals were suggested by Phoenix. Version 3 of the Cheesy sound car still supports track power should I ever wish to use it with the added benefit of feeding track power pick-ups to locomotives equipped with a DC M/U connector… Wiring of the 2K2 to the many inputs and outputs is a rather complicated diagram so I won’t bother posting it unless someone asks for it.

Nice Jon. I wish I knew more about electronics and sound systems.

How soon will Version 3A be released?
:wink:
I may have some pics of that myself (SOMEWHERE?)

3A will be start from scratch in a 1:20.3 box car with no track pick-up using teh speaker removed from Ver. 3. I’m still trying to sell or barter enough stuff to pay for the components. I still have those RDC’s :smiley:

David Russell said:
How soon will Version 3A be released? :wink: I may have some pics of that myself (SOMEWHERE?)

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/ECLSTS/Oct09015.jpg)

Note Father Fred on the front platform of the trailing unit pulling the “Cheesy Sound Car”

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/ECLSTS/Oct09021.jpg)

“Cheesy Sound Car Consist” heading south towards Washington St. station stop

David Russell said:
How soon will Version 3A be released? ;)
I lied. 3A will be arriving by next week.

I ordered a pair of Del’s new RailBoss Plus and was happy to see that he has added two more sound triggers. So I will be ripping out the Enhanced RailBoss and upgrading it to the Plus version. While I’m at it I’ll add one of Del’s trigger boards to give me a total of 6 sound functions on my radio.

Pretty cool Del !!!

The Enhanced Rail Boss will go into the Shay I’m rebuilding over the winter.