Large Scale Central

Bachman 3 truck shay?

Honestly I’d thought I wanted one. I had the cash in hand at a store this weekend and found a good price. Several available it seemed. About $200 less than I thought they went for? I almost asked for one then started thinking of all the “issues” or potetntial issues that went around and around on various forums about this and other Bachman locos. Since it would be potentially years before I could run this (or any of my trains) I’d like to know that it would run correctly before I purchased it. It may have undergone a minor kitbashing in terms of paint but until I decide on a control system (based on a future layout to be determined) I cannot say what type of electronic fiddling I’m willing to get into or pay for. Simple track power is the best for me in my opinion for now and to that end Bachman seems to be very confusing and tough to keep track of the various problems with which loco and which variation or generation. I’m simply not willing to commit to something with that many question marks and issues. New at full retail or year old at clearance pricing. Sorry Bachman.

Chas

I don’t know where you were shopping, but at RRS has them featured at $437.50. That’s a significant discount off list, but still too much for me. I think I paid a little over $200 for my Connie on close-out at a show. If the 3 Truck Shay gets that low I’d probably buy one. I think TOC has the solutions to most of the problems, but I can see your reason to shy away if you are going to be storing it for a while.

As I recall I did not have any problems when I got mine running, however I did install RCS etc. and only had one problem - the wires carrying the power to the controler in the tender shell from the back tank had to be replaced - it was only 3 strands of copper! The first time I switched it on I had real smoke!!! A couple lengths of super flex and it runs just great. Use it on the snow plow on the CCRy last spring!

Like Jon says, check with the TOC.

Paul

I got to operate one yeaterday at a club member’s layout. Airwire, lithium batteries and Phoenix sound. Smooth runner. It’s probably on my wish list, but I’d rather do RCS.

I love my 3 truck Shay!
http://timothydehan.com/redmondcreekrr/videos/3TruckShayFeature_0002.wmv

I do like my 3Truck Shay, but it surges badly on even slight track elevation changes (I can hear it in the chuffs). Has anyone found a fix or even a way to lessen that??? Nick Jr

Late last year I gutted one and converted it to AW.
Took out everything, replaced the headlight, etc.
All new heavier motor wires.
She has been running like a champ since then.
jb

John Bouck said:
Late last year I gutted one and converted it to AW. Took out everything, replaced the headlight, etc. All new heavier motor wires. She has been running like a champ since then. jb
Is that a Studebaker Champ?

I have both a 3 Truck & a 2 Truck Shay - both are fitted with DCC /sound and both run great, I havnt had any problems with mine - so far.
Are some of the problems to do with correct servicing ?
Graham

Does the engine actually surge or does it merely sound like it is surging? If it is the sound, you need to make sure that when you hook the slip joints on the drive shaft together, the U joints need to be at right angles to each other.

I have to think that Bachmann “screwed the pooch” with this DCC crap. It has people shying away from buying stuff.

I know I’m far more thoughtful and careful about the new products before they enter my railroad. Bachmann had a good thing going on some great products. What a shame to screw it all up because of a small sect of the hobby.

Jon Radder said:
I don't know where you were shopping, but at RRS has them featured at $437.50. That's a significant discount off list, but still too much for me. I think I paid a little over $200 for my Connie on close-out at a show. If the 3 Truck Shay gets that low I'd probably buy one. I think TOC has the solutions to most of the problems, but I can see your reason to shy away if you are going to be storing it for a while.
Just bought two for $650 from my local friendly dealer in PDX - both Oregon Lumber, my pike of choice. They have been running around my track here in yUK for the last coupla days while I get advice from that nice man, Mr Walsham, on how to progress wit hr/c and sound.

They are DC versions, and are running, as I write this, hauling real log consists in total silence except for the clickey-clicks…what a beautiful job Bachmann has made of these models!!

Jon or anybody else - you may care to pm me - there are many other Fn3 Bachmann locos to be had at similarly significantly lower prices.

Best wishes to all

tac & ig, the Christmas Vulture

TAC - Just re-read your post. At first I was wondering how you thought $650 was a good deal on this loco, and then I saw FOR TWO. That’s getting closer to what my target was, but alas I am a victim of the global recession so I will not be buying much other than Raman Pride for the foreseeable future.

Bill, sorry for letting so much time go by, but I haven’t been here for a while. It also looks like it surges, but I am going to try to set all joints at 90’ and see if that makes any difference. Nick Jr

Nick,

Did you see George’s review and somewhat fix on the Davenport by loading the gear box up with grease. I have a couple of engines that surge on heavy grade and have thought of trying this, but have not done it yet. Hoping that this might be a cheap fix to the surging.

Just like the old days for the big boys. “Load it up with tallow boys and let’s see if we can get it out of these woods”. :wink:

Rick, I don’t THINK that will work with the 3 truck shay, it has 3 seperate motors, one in each truck. Nick Jr

Nick Peluso Jr said:
Rick, I don't THINK that will work with the 3 truck shay, it has 3 seperate motors, one in each truck. Nick Jr
Nick,

I’m out of my league here. Don’t even own one. I was just fascinated by George’s write up. I guess one more thought, does the drive shafts have the slip joints to keep one motor from binding with the others? TOC did something with that on one of the geared engines. Just thoughts.

Ric,
the first generation Climax suffered from a situation whereby the front and rear trucks would bind. The second generation Climax incorporated a ‘slip’ clutch arrangement on the aft driveshaft, so that any binding would be compensated for and prevent truck lockup. Dave’s mod was to alter the square driveshaft on the aft truck to a round shaft, so that only the front truck operated the rods. The Heisler used only one truck to operate the ‘engine’, preventing binding occurring. From memory, the Shay does a similar thing. I would think that the three-truck also isolates the drive to individual trucks, to avoid binding.

Tim Brien said:
Ric, the first generation Climax suffered from a situation whereby the front and rear trucks would bind. The second generation Climax incorporated a 'slip' clutch arrangement on the aft driveshaft, so that any binding would be compensated for and prevent truck lockup. Dave's mod was to alter the square driveshaft on the aft truck to a round shaft, so that only the front truck operated the rods. The Heisler used only one truck to operate the 'engine', preventing binding occurring. From memory, the Shay does a similar thing. I would think that the three-truck also isolates the drive to individual trucks, to avoid binding.
Yes.

tac