Large Scale Central

Whats the difference between 0n30 and 0n3

I have seen several articles and advertisments where the scale is called 0n30 and others where it is called 0n3. Is there a difference or are both the same scale by a different name? I thought 0n30 was 0 gauge scale equipment with wheel truck width reduced to make to make it able to run on the narrower width HO gauge track. Is that right? Just courious as I only model in narrow gauge 1:20.3.

big john

John.

On30 refers to 30 inch, On3 to 3 feet. IOW 6 inches difference.

John:

The scale (the ratio of the prototype to the model) is the same for both 0n3 and 0n30 (also sometimes designated 0n2 1/2): Both are 0 scale or 1:48 proportion (here in the U.S.). This means a 6’ tall prototype person is 1 1/2" tall on the model. Just divide the prototype dimension by 48.

The prototype and model track gauge is different for each: The term “n3” indicates a 36" gauge prototype and is represented by a model track gauge of 0.75". This is arrived at by dividing 36" (the prototype gauge) by 48=0.75" or 3/4". This is the accurate scale / gauge combination for models of 36" gauge prototype models in 0 scale.

The term “n30” indicates a 30" gauge prototype, and is represented by a model track gauge of 0.649". Note that 30" (the prototype gauge) divided by 48=0.625" or 5/8", not 0.649". This discrepancy is due to the common use of existing H0 gauge track for 0n30 models. Close to 30" in scale, but not exact. The use of H0 gauge track keeps costs for track, switches, rolling stock and mechanisms low. 0n30 has really gained in popularity here in the U.S. over the last 5 to 10 years.

For a pretty complete listing of the small scale names and their corresponding track gauges go to the NMRA’s S-3.2 Standard Scale Trackwork (link).

Hope this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I have an old 0 gauge Lionel freight train with a 2-6-0 steam engine. I thought I might set up a small layout using it but not on 0 gauge track. That is why I was asking about 0n30. Are there trucks available to replace the standard 0 gauge trucks that are on my cars so they will run on H0 track? Are the 0n30 couplers smaller or similar in size to my current Lionel 0 gauge system. I guess I would have to purchase a new engine as it would be very difficult (meaning impossible) to change the wheel spacing on the one I have. Are the 0n30 gauge steam engines the same size scale as the standard 0 gauge engines except for wheel spacing?

John

John:

I guess anything is possible, but your existing Lionel equipment is probably based on a standard gauge prototype outline and thus size. Trying to put standard gauge size equipment on the (very) narrow gauge 0n30 wheelsets would make a pretty unstable and unwieldy setup. Narrow gauge equipment is generally somewhat smaller than the standard gauge counterparts.

One simple example is the length of cars: In the 1920 to 1960 era, many standard gauge freight cars were 40’ long. Typical 36" narrow gauge freight cars were 30’ long. That’s a pretty big difference. Thirty inch gauge cars were typically even smaller. These same differences also applied to some degree to the car widths.

There are exceptions to all generalizations. Another example: The East Broad Top Railroad actually had a transfer facility that lifted standard gauge freight cars off their SG trucks and replaced them with 36" narrow gauge trucks so the cars could be delivered to points along the EBT’s 36" narrow gauge route. This is similar to what you are suggesting!

Most 0n30 cars ride on trucks that are actually H0 standard gauge archbars. I’m not an 0n30 modeler, but I’m not aware of any trucks specifically made for 0n30. Try getting a pair of H0 arch bar trucks and putting them under one of you Lionel cars and see how it looks. IMO, it won’t be good, but its your equipment.

Also be aware that good quality 0n30 cars are relatively cheap and are sized to have that ‘narrow gauge look’. Tearing an existing Lionel set apart wouldn’t seem too attractive when compared to just getting some new 0n30 equipment. As you wrote, you would need to replace the engine anyway.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

John Spehar said:
Thanks for clearing it up for me. I have an old 0 gauge Lionel freight train with a 2-6-0 steam engine. I thought I might set up a small layout using it but not on 0 gauge track. That is why I was asking about 0n30. Are there trucks available to replace the standard 0 gauge trucks that are on my cars so they will run on H0 track? Are the 0n30 couplers smaller or similar in size to my current Lionel 0 gauge system. I guess I would have to purchase a new engine as it would be very difficult (meaning impossible) to change the wheel spacing on the one I have. Are the 0n30 gauge steam engines the same size scale as the standard 0 gauge engines except for wheel spacing?

John

John, Jerry has given you a pretty good idea about the relative sizes of 0 and 0n30 rolling stock, but you really have to see them side by side to get the full picture.

0n30 steam engines are most definitely NOT the same size, but ARE the same scale as their much larger 0 scale relatives. First of all, you gots to remember that the ‘30’ refers to 30 inches rail gauge - and most, if not all of the rolling stock, in particular the locomotives, are positively minute by comparison with their standard gauge brethren.

Even in the other 0 scale NG that is increasingly popular - 0n3 - where the 3 refers to the three foot Colorado gauge, the locos are VERY much smaller than their Class 1 brethren, but the modles, in general, are the realm of brass prices - even the latest technology mass-produced K27 is still around the $500 mark. The Colorado mikes were the largest NG rigid coupled locos ever built for US tracks when they were produced, but they are only around 2/3 the size, or even less, of their smallest Class 1 counterparts.

With the price of 0n30 modelling pretty darn cheap by the standards of large-scale, headed up by the wonderful models from Bachmann and the UK-based Backwoods Miniatures and Chivers Finelines, there is no excuse for not going that route. I have a good selection of Bachmann 0n30 stuff, some of the locos with full sound in them too.

However, I have to admit that I am still a mite confused as to the effect you are trying to achieve…

tac

I don’t want to get back into H0 so I was just considering converting my old Lionel rail cars to run on HO track for a small 0n30 scale layout under the christmas tree. I did not realize that the 0n30 trains were models of much smaller prototypes than the old Lionel freight cars represent. It looks like selling the Lionel train and purchasing an 0n30 train set to use for this purpose would be the best way to go.

John

John Spehar said:
I don't want to get back into H0 so I was just considering converting my old Lionel rail cars to run on HO track for a small 0n30 scale layout under the christmas tree. I did not realize that the 0n30 trains were models of much smaller prototypes than the old Lionel freight cars represent. It looks like selling the Lionel train and purchasing an 0n30 train set to use for this purpose would be the best way to go.

John

Dear Mr Quote - you have to see the Bachmann 0n30 models to appreciate them - I have one of each and they are truly works of art in every respect. The detail is astounding, especially on the Shay and the Connie…and the Climax, oh heck, and all the others too.

And you guys get them for nothing!!

tac

They are pretty!!

(http://www.trainweb.org/rgs/0n30_01.jpg)