Large Scale Central

Ditcher

I received my Ditcher yesterday afternoon and spent a few hours with Stan of The Car Works (the gentleman who engineered and had it produced) this morning. The unit is BEAUTIFUL and the detail is amazing. It is geared so low it just creeps around the track. The only improvement this work or art needs is to be slightly weathered to show the detail that is hidden by all the black. To assure every customer is satisfied Stan is opening and testing each and every one before shipping. Nick Jr

…but will it really “Ditch” or dig, or is it just moving scenery…?

A picture would really help…:expressionless:

It not only moves down the track, but the boom and bucket raise and lower and the cabin swivles left and right. All the controls are located under the stack but can easily be converted to R/C and battery in a tender. I have to leave for work shortly but when I get back home I will try to post pic’s. (never did that before so if anyone can send me instructions I will greatly appreciate it). Nick Jr

I have been informed I need to join something to be able to post pictures. So I will direct you to two web sites that have pics. The Car Works and Electric Steam and Model Works. I can Email pics directly if anyone wants.
It is breaking in just beautifully. I lubed the gears and shafts, set it on rollers and connected the meters. The ma’s are dropping nicely (down to only 22). It shouldn’t take much of a battery to keep this baby running for quite a while. I also understand that Phoenix is developing a sound system for it. Nick Jr

Nick…email me the pics, I can post 'em for ya…

Bart, I tried twice and they keep bouncing back. I must be doing something wrong. Nick Jr

Reply sent Nick…My ISP got sold off back in the spring its now [email protected] in case anyone needs to update that didn’t get it.

Ya know Fred…Ditchers were used as wreckers too…I’ve often thought it would be neat to have to call out an official wreck train for anything save a minor derailment just for poop n giggles…anyone else’s thoughts on this?

Bart Salmons said:
Reply sent Nick........My ISP got sold off back in the spring its now [email protected] in case anyone needs to update that didn't get it.

Ya know Fred…Ditchers were used as wreckers too…I’ve often thought it would be neat to have to call out an official wreck train for anything save a minor derailment just for poop n giggles…anyone else’s thoughts on this?

Bart,

Since the RhB runs in the mountains, there have quite often been closures/diversions on the miniature version when a slide hit the RoW. You should see what that does to the schedule and the dispatcher’s hair-do. :smiley: :wink: The gap gets bridged by bus service and it is a much shorter point to point. Lots of fun for those who like operating!

Bart Salmons said:
Ya know Fred....Ditchers were used as wreckers too....I've often thought it would be neat to have to call out an official wreck train for anything save a minor derailment just for poop n giggles.......anyone else's thoughts on this?
Used to do this for any derailment on one of my N scale layouts. Really fouls up the dispatcher! We should have a wreck train at Fred's for just such an emergency!

I’ll have you know, that the IPP&W never has wrecks…at least none that we would admit to…in fact I have a light crane, that just never gets the call for action; it just sits on the shelf…

Bart, I just sent the pictures. Thank You Nick Jr

Without further ado…

Well, that certainly was worth waiting for. What a beautiful model. And you say it is battery operated?

Sweet!!!

Looks like something that might be fun to attempt as a scratch-build someday.

Rick, no from the manufacturer it is track powered, no more than 12 VDC. but is easily converted to battery and R/C, and I will be working on that shortly. Nick Jr

I dread to ask what that beauty cost…

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it!

If I have to ask, it means that the price isnt shown on any webpage that I’ve seen.

Lots of ditcher pictures at Electric & Steam Model Works site. See:
http://www.rctrains.com/whatsnew.htm
—and—
http://www.rctrains.com/ditcher.htm

Price shown on the second page is $1800.

Happy RRing,

Jerry Bowers