Large Scale Central

A heartwarming story

Hi all,

For those who take exception to my “scale” and “models”, attitude, to set it in perspective.

Tony Koester - a selfadmitted scale and op wonk if there ever was one - takes a different look in his column in the March MR (page 100). The title reads “Modeling as 3-D art”, quite a few mentions of Malcom Furlow (in one of the Eastern op groups known as “The King of Schmalz” :wink: ) and a reference to Sam Posey’s Book “Playing with trains”.

Well, hmmmmmm … errr … Yes I read Sam Posey’s book - it made the rounds on a loan basis on the RhB Forum - and here is what I had to say

HJ on RhB Forum said:
Hi all,

OK, I let it sit for a few weeks and then started anew.

The book certainly shows two different perspectives

• 1 how Sam Posey does it

• 2 how some of the well-known modelrailroaders do it

It also shows the obsessions which people have about different aspects of the hobby. By comparison mine is a very, very, very mild case!

I give the book a five out of ten. For the uninitiated (those who have no inkling about model railroading) it is a “they are all slightly (or completely!) nuts” eye opener.

It also reminded me of the days when I was teaching “Model Railroading - The Basics” and I posed the question: “What is so intriguing about the hobby?”. Most participants hadn’t really thought about the “it’s my world and I’m in charge” aspect, but agreed that it was a major factor.
When everything else goes helter-skelter…

Alright, who is next for the book or do I return it to Keith??

I left out the smileys just add them were you think appropriate! :slight_smile: :wink: :lol: