Large Scale Central

Bachmann and Accucraft Couplers?

I was very excited with the accuracy of the linkage and workmanship of the new 1:20.3 Bachmann and also the Accucraft couplers. As I continue to utilize them with the Kadees, that are mounted on everything else, my enthusiasm is quickly fading. I do like how they look, I don’t like how they couple. I can sneak up to a Kadee and if close, it couples. I can be as accurate as possible with the Bachmanns and Accucrafts and if that pin doesn’t drop, you’ve got to try it again. Beginning to consider giving up the fanciness for practicality. I’ve got a number of areas where the idea is to couple the car and drag it out, not stick your hand back in the building to see if you can make it happen. Thoughts, please.

For absolute reliability in coupling, Kadee’s cannot be beat. I like the “hands on” coupling of the Accucraft couplers but, as you have discovered, they need to be close at hand to be practical. I’m planning on using Accucrafts on my 1:20 stuff which will be run on my outdoor layout and all will be easily reachable. But my indoor layout suffers from “toowidus benchworkus” and hands off coupling and uncoupling is necessary. At a 36" depth and 42" height there is no way I can reach the furtherest tracks to get an uncoupling screwdriver in or to reach the pin under an Accucraft.

Warren,

Same problems, but both inside and out. Also, the chains seem to tangle a little and get in the way of the pin dropping to allow coupling. I’m really quite dissapointed because I thought it was going to be so cool to be that protypical, but really it just isn’t happening. Looking for ideas to improve the situation.

Is the chain kinking on you thus stopping the pin from dropping? I have not gotten that far with my 1:20 project yet. Still waiting on parts to arrive so I can start. But I’m very anxious to see my string of box cars…:slight_smile:

Warren Mumpower said:
Is the chain kinking on you thus stopping the pin from dropping?
From what I can tell, so far, is the links of the chain are to big and allowing the binding. With that time I don't have, I'll try to dissect this further.

Well, what I really wanted was solutions to get the new Bachmann and Accucraft couplers to respond like Kadees. Maybe that can’t happen?

Have you tried Kadee’s graphite on the pin on the Accucraft? That or a different style chain is all I can think of. I don’t have anything with Accucraft…yet so I can’t offer any concrete suggestions.

Hi Ric -

I don’t have any of the Accucraft, but several locos with the new Bachmann couplers. I find the same as you that they are less than reliable when making a coupling. One of the issues I’ve identified but haven’t solved is centering on the 45 Ton diesel.

Warren’s suggestion of lubrication is a good start. You might find upon disassembly that the machining is less than perfect. A little clean-up of the pin plus some dry lubrication of both the pin and chains may go a long way. Of course this takes a lot of time - it might just be easier to swap out for a Kadee.

The best out-of-the-box stock coupler I’ve found is the Aristo/Delton. Centers well, couples with minimal bash, holds closed and uncouples from underneath easily. I never took the time to try the Kadee’s that sit in my parts bin.

JR