Large Scale Central

What scale are they....? (LGB DB coaches)

Hi all,

Marty Cozad asked in another forum what scale the DB coaches (Reviewed in the Feb07 GR) are. Apparently he received quick replies off-line, which surprised him.

What scale??

More or less 1:27… for instance the trucks are close to 1:32, the width and the height are in the 1:25/1:27 range, the length OTOH is 1:33.

Comment:

The GARTENBAHNprofi refers to that particular size as “G1.5”. The reasoning goes like this: 1:27 is right between the scales used for Gauge I (1:32) and Gauge II (1:22.5). Scale of subassemblies can be anywhere between 1:25 and 1:32; the “G” in “G1.5” doesn’t necessarily stand for “Gauge” as in “Gauge 1.5”. :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley:

On occasion, when asked regarding scale, the LGBoA sales/marketing manager opined that it was “suitable for G”, this also in regards to the Amfleet cars. :wink:

Of course it is very easy to determine what scale(s) this cars are: take the various dimensions from the prototype cars, divide them by the dimensions measured on the “model” and there… one has the scale(s).
Obtaining the dimensions of the prototype is relatively easy. :wink: :slight_smile:

Er , Gartenbahn profi , that’s where one of the editors just got the sack , isn’t it ? I wonder why ?

Mike

Mike Morgan said:
Er , Gartenbahn profi , that's where one of the editors just got the sack , isn't it ? I wonder why ? Mike
He kept brown-bagged bottles of cheap Branntwein in his desk drawer, purchased on the office taxi account; was to be found asleep and dead drunk in the morgue/library at deadline; made passes at the publisher's wife ... (proof positive that he wasn't seeing straight) ... No wait, that was another publication with which I am not unfamiliar; long ago but not so far away. No more medicinal spirits in the desks these days, though I am not sure that production quality has improved.

Friedhelm Wiedelich is his name if that helps .

Mike

Mike Morgan said:
Er , Gartenbahn profi , that's where one of the editors just got the sack , isn't it ? I wonder why ?

Mike

Mike,

Let me put it this way:

Be very careful what kind of unsubstantiated rumours/questions you spread!

Since you have at best second hand information let me enlighten you with the translation from the GARTENBAHNprofi website. (prevents the usual misinterpretations!)

GBp said:
[b]Personnel changes at GARTENBAHNprofi[/b]

The New Year brings a few personnel changes and additions at the GARTENBAHNprofi. Hans-Joachim Gilbert assumed the position of chief editor with the start to the fifth publication year. Friedhelm Weidelich, the co-founder of the magazine published since 2003, has decided to devote more of his time to his previously exclusive field of technical journalism in the print and electronic media field for such clients as FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung) and VDI-Nachrichten. For that reason he resigned from the position of chief editor, but will continue to contribute to the GARTENBAHNprofi in his capacity covering USA prototype and garden railroad themes.

The organizational changes are in concert with the expansion of our team, which will include Manfred Weihrauch. In the past he gained experience in the Large Scale field by contributing to “Uno” as well as the “Spur Eins” magazine, he is also co-publisher of the “012-Express” magazine which will start-up in March of this year - a magazine which covers large scale in 0, 1 and 2, but will not cover the garden railroad segment of those scales. Garden railways are and will remain GARTENBAHNprofi’s theme.

As another experienced colleague in our team we welcome Klaus Himmelreich, known as the past author of the “Grosse Modellbahnen” series of books. He will concentrate on the aspects of general technical questions and the applications concerning the DCC field.

Just in case you’re interested:

[b]Yes, I got the News first hand from both Hans-Joachim Gilbert and Friedhelm Weidelich.

No, there will be no changes to the translation format of the GARTENBAHNprofi, except further improvements as time permits and readership justifies. [/b]

GBp original text said:
9.1.2007 Für unser Magazin "Der Gartenbahn Profi" hat der Jahreswechsel einige personelle Veränderungen und Erweiterungen mit sich gebracht. Mit Beginn des 5. Jahrgangs hat Hans-Joachim Gilbert die Redaktionsleitung übernommen. Friedhelm Weidelich, Mitbegründer des seit 2003 erscheinenden erfolgreichen Magazins, wird seinen beruflichen Schwerpunkt wieder mehr auf seine frühere Tätigkeit als Technikjournalist für Print- und elektronische Medien legen, darunter Titel wie die FAZ oder die VDI-Nachrichten. Er hat daher die Chefredaktion niedergelegt, wird aber für den Gartenbahn Profi künftig als freier Autor in seinen Schwerpunktthemen, darunter die Gartenbahnen und Fahrzeuge nach US-Vorbildern, tätig bleiben.

Die organisatorischen Veränderungen gehen einher mit der Erweiterung unseres Teams, das künftig von Manfred Weihrauch unterstützt wird. Er hat bislang mit “Uno” sowie dem Spur 1-Magazin “Eins” journalistische Erfahrungen im Großbahnbereich gesammelt und ist überdies Mitherausgeber des ab März erscheinenden Titels “012 Express” - einem Großbahnmagazin, das sich mit allen großen Spuren von 0 bis 2, aber nicht mit Gartenbahnen befassen wird (www.012-express.de). Gartenbahnen sind und bleiben das Themengebiet des Gartenbahn Profi.

Als weiteren kompetenten Mitarbeiter in unserem Team begrüßen wir auch Klaus Himmelreich, bekannt als früherer Autor der Buchreihe “Große Modellbahnen”. Er wird sich vor allem allgemeinen praktischen Technik-Fragen sowie der Digitaltechnik und ihren Anwendungen widmen.

Incidentally , on Wednesday , I bought some new LGB , saw plenty of other new LGB , but couldn’t afford it just yet . Not much point in showing pics of them here , nobody seems interested . It’s European outline . There was a nice new set with a Forney in it , the one with two bogies . Quite pretty .
LGB seem to be doing OK so far under their new manager .

Also saw and DID NOT buy the new Brawa RhB long open wagons , the cost is very high , £185 for a 4 wheel wagon is a bit pricey . About $350 .
Nice models , but why they should be nearly the same cost as the carriage they make is a bit odd .

Did splash out on some British Accucraft , Welshpool and Llanfair wagons , four wheelers with two sets of wheels in the box , one set for 45mm the other for 32 mm . Neat idea , that .

Mike

Mike;
Who said we were not interested ?

I for one enjoy all rail equipment from all lands. Post if you care to; I would enjoy seeing them.

Mike, go ahead and post your pictures. I will join Fred and say that I enjoy looking at other outline equipment even though I don’t model it…and that includes all foreign.

And to back up what HJ said, I heard the same thing from Friedhelm himself…in English and didn’t need to translate…:smiley:

That seems to be a very liberal translation of the document that I have seen , signed by Birgitta Gilbert .
Naughty boy , Hans , 2/10 for bad translation .

In the interest of peace and quiet , I shall now drop the subject .

Mike

Mike Morgan said:
That seems to be a very liberal translation of the document that I have seen , signed by Birgitta Gilbert . Naughty boy , Hans , 2/10 for bad translation .

In the interest of peace and quiet , I shall now drop the subject .

Mike

Just to prevent any confusion I inserted the original text from the GBp website.

If we have an “expert” German/English translator in the House, please have at it.

??? to Mike: If you couldn’t get Friedhelm’s last name right, how would you get the rest in proper order?

MM said:
Friedhelm Wiedelich is his name if that helps .

You’re not very good at satire , are you ?

Mike

Mike Morgan said:
You're not very good at satire , are you ?

Mike

My friends, acquaintances and customers think that I’m excellent at satire. And then there are those “others” who just gnash their teeth… if they still have some, that is!

They are probably just being polite .

Warren Mumpower said:
… And to back up what HJ said, I heard the same thing from Friedhelm himself…in English and didn’t need to translate…:smiley:

Warren, Some people sometimes require more than the “official” offical version. But back to the DB coaches which are “G1.5” size. Of course that will puzzle quite a few people, who then will ask “What is G1.5??” Which is a very good question, but one that can only be answered by saying “Somewhere between 1:25 and 1:32, give or take a little” :wink: :slight_smile: Or in it’s most concise form “Suitable for G”. Neither of which have any real meaning, or do they?? :wink: :wink: :slight_smile: Frankly I’m just waiting for the day when LGBoA starts applying a little sticker that says “Suitable for G” :slight_smile: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Might be why some refer to it as “Goofy Guage”…:smiley: