Large Scale Central

2-8-0 Consolidation specifications

Hello all, this is my first post. I’ve been looking everywhere for some size info about the large scale 2-8-0. I have somewhat of an idea from finding some great pics of the Connie in several threads here in this forum, but I’m really interested in how it compares in size to the Shay and LGB Mogul.

Could someone please let me know the size of the locomotive: length x width x height in inches, and maybe weight?

Also, I see on the box that it is recommended to use it only on larger radius curves. How does this work out in real life? What is the true minimum radius that it will negotiate? Bachman says the Shay needs large curves and mine handles the small (R1) radius okay (look kinda funny though).

Any other comments or opinions about this engine, pro or con would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

I saw your post on the Bachmann board, but didn’t have a ruler handy at the time…

Anyway,

Length 32"
Width 5 1/2"
Height 7"

Weight, no idea.

As for curves, the 2-8-0 will handle LGB’s “R2” (2.5’ radius) curves if you modify the coal pile on the front of the tender to clear the tender deck plate. Otherwise, it will handle an R3 (just under 4’ radius) curve with no difficulty.

It’s a great loco–pulls well, and looks good doing so. Looks even better with some cosmetic modifications. Click on my signature banner, then go to “motive power” to see shots of modifications I did to mine.

I don’t have an LGB mogul handy to do a size comparison, but the LGB mogul scales out to a fairly small loco when measured in 1:20.3. It’s comparable in size to the Shay, but longer. (Probably around the same length as the new 3-truck shay).

I’ve been quite pleased with mine.

Later,

K

Hi Kevin, thanks, that’s exactly what I needed to know. I think I’m going to have to order one to add to the roster.

Up until the Shay all my rolling stock has been LGB and it’s a bit disconcerting to have to change scales now. Though to me the Shay is close enough in size to park in the yard with the 22.5:1 locos, I still feel it looks kinda weird having it pull LGB cars. The 2-8-0 should fit in just as well. Guess I’ll need to get some 20.3 freight cars too.

Your pics of your locos and cars are outstanding. Not only a great detailing job but the way you took the pics to make them look like full scale pics from long ago looks great. If you didn’t know what you were looking at it would be hard to tell if they were “real” or not.

I’ve also been enjoying your series on the building of your new railroad in GR.

Wayne

The Bachmann connie will look horribly out of place with 1:22.5 LGB stuff unless you modify the cab…like many have done. The current cab makes it look huge and way out of scale with LGB. Also check out posts by Rod Hayward. He’s taken the connie and made some extremely credible locomotives out of it.

Sound advice there , Warren , can’t argue with that .

Mike

Nice looking customization Kevin! You might want to update your web site, Vance Bass is no longer offering the kits, according to his web site that you link to.

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:
...You might want to update your web site, Vance Bass is no longer offering the kits, according to his web site that you link to.
Yeah, an update is "in the works," more in the form of a redesign than just an update, especially since the small oval railroad is no more. The original plan was to have it ready to go by now, to coincide with the final installment of the GR series due in your mailboxes any day now. Obviously, that hasn't happened. (New software, steep learning curve). I've got more rolling stock to add as well, such as the hoppers and Dolly Varden cars I posted here recently. Hopefully I'll have things updated by Summer.

Wayne, I know where you’re coming from in terms of switching scales. When I first got the Shay, my plan was to replace the cab and “rescale” it to be a 50 ton Shay, so it would fit in with all my LGB and Bachmann rolling stock. What pushed me to 1:20 was Bachmann’s Centennial mogul. Though smaller than the Shay, it just impressed me by its size. At that point, I knew I had to abandon my 1:24/1:22 equipment in favor of 1:20.3. Fortunately for me, I model the turn-of-the-century narrow gauge equipment, which was typically a bit smaller than the equipment made by AMS. That allowed me to use at least some of my old equipment, though most pieces just got either mothballed or simply cut up for scrap. (It wasn’t as big a loss as it sounds–I only had perhaps a dozen pieces of rolling stock.)

Oddly, the Shay is now in pieces, awaiting conversion to a 7/8" scale Shay. Yet another “someday” project.

Later,

K

Did someone say 7/8 scale Shay???

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. Great food for thought. In fact I had to think about the whole thing for a couple of days, plus sit and stare at the Shay and LGB Moguls before I came up with a possible solution. I think for now I’ll keep the old 1:22.5 equipment in one yard and the newer 1:20.3 stuff at the other end of the layout. Both look fine when not mixed together and as long as I don’t run them together I think I can live with it. Of course only time will tell.
Now to find a good deal on a Connie. :slight_smile:

Wayne

IT was a Connie once, honest.

Great loco for toying with, C-25 will be next

Oh and the K-27 getting there too

No LGB parts were used or harmed in the production of this Loco.

:smiley:

Oh and a bit more…

Wow, that’s a beauty, Rod! What are the tubes (wires?) on the top of the cab for?

Cab lighting Roy.

I like those shades over the windows. What did you use for them? I haven’t been able to find anything suitable to make them.

here you are Ken.

cheers

Brass sheet…well I’ll be dammed…never gave that a thought. Here all this time I was looking for something flexible…hehe

Thanx Rod…!!

No Probs, its encouraging if you thought it was a real roller blind :slight_smile: I did the same for this one too.