Large Scale Central

DVD Review-----Your VIP Tour of the Bethlehem Central Railroad

I recently acquired an original copy of Tom Ruddells’ DVD Your VIP Tour of the Bethlehem Central Railroad.

The DVD Label states it is “The story of (and exciting “ride” on) one of the largest garden railways in the Southeastern United States”. The feature is approximately 39 minuets long and allows the viewer to visit the BCRR, which is located in Dothan Al, without leaving your recliner!

The video opens with a word from Tom and a little background history on the BCRR. From there the purpose of the Railroad and how it is used to educate and entertain are explained. During this time the viewer is shown multiple still photographs: from children of all ages visiting to Boy Scouts working on the Railroad while earning their RR patches.

The viewer is then “scaled down” to 1/29th scale and boarded upon the BCRR Rail Diesel Car for a “Cab View” of a run through Pauls Portal and down the hill. As your trip progresses, you have the chance to ride upon many of the different engines in Toms’ collection. The “ride” make multiple stops along the line at different points of interest such as Dan’s Burger, Malaisia, and Galatia Gorge all located throughout the vast expanse the BCRR calls home.

Mr. Ruddells’ ultimate goal with the film is to share the Gospel of Jesus with the viewer while allowing them a first hand visit of his Empire without ever leaving home. This task is performed flawlessly! There is no Bible slinging here! The presentation is just like the BCRR: Toms’ beliefs subtlety presented through his lovely garden railroad. There is also a Presenters Guide and Self-Test available to compliment the film.

Currently Tom is offering the video “free of charge”. And he shared with me that “it may be a commercial mistake on my part, but I feel led to “give it away” rather than sell it—then pray for donations to cover expenses.”

For more information on the BCRR and the availability of the DVD visit ACMRR.org

cale

I got my copy a week or so ago. Tom is “suggesting” a $10 donation - for that price you can’t beat it. I’ve watched it a couple of times already, found it “entertaining”.

I’ve not seen the video, but know Tom through the net and he has provided me with the items necessary for the Boy Scout’s Railroad Merit Badge. Tom is a class act all the way. Thank you for the review. I look forward to getting the DVD.