Large Scale Central

LGB Carriages

I have had these two for some time now , and was waiting for a more “Korrect” review by our resident expert .
But fed up with waiting , I would draw your attention to
LGB 30550 , LGB 31550 .
These two 4-wheel carriages are quite pretty little models , and well worth getting .
They are , as is common with LGB , both based on prototypes and as such , one is more accurate than the other .
LGB 30550 is the more prototypical , being based on the actual trailer car used by the Yellow Power carriage ,
railcar , whatever you like to call it used by RhB in Switzerland on the Bernina branch .
Not wishing to get a tape measure to it , because it looks right , I can only point out that it is very colourful,with accurately done markings in old script , black with red shading on the bright yellow body . It is a very attractive bit if kit , and as usual with LGB has a lot of pipes , receptacles and all the bits that go to connect it up to the train . Non working of course .
The tables inside are complete with little lamps-non working , but easily converted–maybe LGB have a mod kit in mind . This mod kit should include metal tyred wheels , because oddly , this one has plastic disc wheels .It does not detract from the models natural handsomeness , and is only noticeable when parked next to
LGB 31550 , which has spoked metal tyred whels . This one is a model of a "Steam Pub " car used by the BVZ Zermatt Bahn . Finished in maroon and gold , it has almost the same fittings as 30550 above , but has no table lamps .
Perhaps the real one only runs in daylight .
Both models are on the same chassis which has an articulation system for the axles ,driven off the couplings, giving ,one presumes , better tracking on some of the sharper curves used by LGB
Both these models are worth getting , they are quite attractive and if you are not a rivet counter should give a lot of pleasure .
Apparently , these appeal to the ladies which is a fair recommendation , eh? .
With regards to mod kits , I would not be surprised if LGB did one for these , or even sold a more expensive version with working lights . So far they have made at least three different versions of the Yellow Railcar that tows one of these ,two red and one yellow .I was going to convert a spare set of these into maintenance
vehicles , but am not in a hurry to do so just in case LGB use their noddles and do it themselves . I have plenty of other models to do ,so am not too desperate .
Anyway , I am glad I got them ,they really are quite nice .
Moke

Mike Morgan said:
............................... and was waiting for a more "Korrect" review by our resident expert . ..................................... Moke
Hi Moke,

Sorry to disappoint if you meant me as the resident expert. :wink:

My Large Scale model railway is set in the 1969 through '75 era on the upper Albulaline. Neither of those cars would show up in that era or on that line. :slight_smile: One runs on the Bernina line the other quite a distance from the RhB on the MGB.

Hans , heaven forfend , whatever gave you that impression ? Was it that typo I made ?
Interesting about your railway though .
And your comment about Swiss Rail geography . And there was me thinking all Swiss railways ran on the same line , just different colours .
Muke

Muke, When I started building my HOm RhB layout I decided on a theme, namely Albula line. The same applies to the 2m layout. The long and the short is: having a theme and an era “saves” me from buying all kinds of stuff. Instead I buy what fits and less of it. And while we’re talking themes: here is the “Kleine Rote” condensed to the minimum.

Still fits that 8ft by 8ft space in the garden someone asked about. The line comes out of the tunnel stops at Susch then disappears back into a tunnel. Alternating traffic possible, fiddle track for the freight cars hidden under the mountain. A chapel, the Alpine dairy and a Mountain house on the hill, with a very steep road down to the station. Better than a R1 circle around the tulips or a jet fountain.