Large Scale Central

LGB Swiss Cariages

It must be said that I did try to post this under the main reviews heading . But , because of a deficiency of little grey cells , I am forced into the simpler,non brain-destroying method as follows (In other words , I’m too thick to get the other part to work )
LGB --as you know , if you have a taste for esoteric European equipment , have now issued up to date carriages for RhB . You may say “up to date?they bin out fer a munf” .Well , being short on intellect , I have yet to get a review into print-not for want of trying . So, excuses out of the way , here we go .
LGB30510-RhB 2nd Class
A delightful model , all the more so because it was a Xmas present to me from my Son ,Martyn–also a train nut.
The model is of a short series run of about 15 carriages done by RhB as special short(er) wheel base items for the Bernina arm of RhB . For those who know this arm , you may say “how wise” .For the rest of us , it is the arm containing the Brusio Spiral , which is a viaduct on a very steep descent which runs under itself . Or if you are going the other way , over itself .Whichever way , it’s rather sharp .Hence the need for something with less overhang to save knocking the scenery about . And it’s not just the spiral , this arm is wiggly ,to say the least .
The model comes in the correct shade of red , paint finish is as usual with LGB very korrect , ja ,mit der silber schrift und … it looks good right from the start .
It has the correct six (6) side windows with the interior seat backs exactly coinciding with the window uprights .It is a scale 1/24 exactly , which is a bonus because the locos it goes with are the same --no arguments here , please , The locos are foreshortened , but LGB do it well and all is right with the world . So there .
The interior seating (not on the outside , you will note, no Brahmaputra Railways practise here ) is nicely done ,with the little window tables that are just small enough to let the hot coffee to spill on your lap when going round the aforementioned spiral .
Leaping outside again to dry off , we find all sorts of pipework on the ends with the right colour coding on them well detailed bogies(I don’t care what YOU call them , we invented trains , so they’re bogies .My bat , my ball , etc.)
The bogies have two axles each , one of which is ball bearinged and acts as a pick up for power for lighting , which takes us neatly back inside to see the roof lights running , as they do along the roof . Where else ?
We got inside this piece of artwork through the doors at each end , not simultaneously ,you understand . The doors are in keeping with the rest of the model , very good --they even open prototypically by parallel motion , finishing up when open flat against the body with writing side still facing out .
All in all , a delightful model -go out and get one . Or several , but you will have to change the running numbers on the othersfrom B2495 .
And there’s a thing , when are manufacturers going to encourage us by putting some number changes in the box ? This carriage cost £125 , or multiplied by 1.7 , dollars US .What difference to sales would a couple of dollars of number sheets make ?
The LGB cement silo wagons have a set of numbers sufficient to satisfy even the most greedy of us (me ) so why not extend the practise ?
LGB take note ,and while you’re at it , get your rep over to a site where he can meet nice folk
And so on to LGB34510 ,RhB 1st class .
I made an even bigger fool of myself with this one .
I went to my second home , the railway shop in Princes Risborough , and the proprietor asked how I had liked the above described carriage .Well of course , I said delighted and things , so he said he had the first class one to go with it
“Hah” sez I , "it will only be the 2nd class one with different markings " So , being a polite bloke , and not wanting to offend the bloke pays his mortgage , he produced a large box inside which nestled a big red carriage ,the same colour as my face when I realised that
LGB had actually produced a different body and interior , as per prototype . 5 side windows and seats to suit .
I gave one of those sickly grins , like you do (you don’t ? are you perfect or something?) and said things like "my word " and "stap me " —we talk funny over here —
And I have to say that all the comments I made above apply to this model also . Unreservedly .
These are both fine bits of work , I have no criticism of what they’ve done , only the lack of extra fleet numbers .
So go out and buy one of each
End of story , now find out who invited me on to this site and kick him . He must have known I go on a bit ,i am …aaaaaaargh.
PS This is Martyn speaking , I have just captured my Dad and locked him back into his chains , I will try not to let it happen again . Sorry .