Forums General Reviews
  • Topic: LGB Track Cleaning Locomotive

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 11, 2006 9:46 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I use the track cleaning loco and have nothing but praise for it. I've tried the frieght car with a pad attached method but the filth seems to build up on one spot on the pad - two lonng strips of dirt with 95% of the rest of the pad remaining clean and unused. Basically rubbing dirt on the rails as it goes around.
      The track cleaning loco does it's thing while I do other little maintenance odds and ends.
    • July 11, 2006 10:35 AM EDT
      • Spokane Valley, Washington St.

• Thanks

Some Nit-Wits that owned a "cutesy" (collectible stuff) store in the downtown tourist district of Coeur d' Alene , Idaho, had a professionally built LGB indoor display. It was beautiful!! Three train with total automation control.
      Anyway, they used the LGB track cleaner as a primary locomotive (In the cleaning mode).
      Needless to say, they wondered why, after a year or so, why the top of the rail was wearing away.
      It was worn down to nothing.
      A fellow club member bought the layout when they went out of business and replaced all the worn track.
      So, in a sense, it is possible to wear a divot in the track, if the loco gets stuck and you don't free it after a period of time.
      jb
    • July 11, 2006 10:49 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I'd submit you'd have to wayyy overuse the loco to affect the track. That's pretty funny using it as a primary loco!

When I had my first loop of brass track, it was a lifesaver.

But I only had it for a few months, went right to SS. Mine is for sale, guess I need to visit ebay.

Regards, Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• February 13, 2009 4:45 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

My LGB trackcleaner loco is magnificent, it needs to be watched in case of stalling on points/switches but who would leave any loco to run unattended.

cheers
      Geoff
    • March 13, 2009 10:59 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I built a power pickup car for my track cleaning locos out of an LGB short tank car I added old bachman bolsters to the frame and added LGB arch bar trucks with LGB power pick up bearing wheels and wired the car with a connector so it can be pulled behind either track cleaner I used K D 831 connectors complete unit works fine
    • March 14, 2009 12:27 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I love the one I have and would love to get a second one. With three main lines and about 700 feet of track I could use it.
    • March 14, 2009 6:00 AM EDT
      • UK/Ontario/Oregon

• Thanks

Mike Morgan said:
      Gerard The oil to use to keep the track from needing abrasive cleaning is normal automatic transmission fluid . The secret is to put only a small drop on each rail ,then run a loco back and forth through it to gradually spread it . An oval 15'x8'is easily covered by this small amount .Don't overdo it , splashing it around will cause it to attack paintwork . A little and often is the key . I use PECO track , it 's nickel silver , and takes well to this treatment . My Brass track used in sidings also seems to like it . I do not advocate abrasive cleaning , it's a short step to track getting dirtier , quicker . Some suggest WD40 for this as well , I would advise against it , my experience of it is that it goes a bit "gummy" after a short while in the sun . I should also explain that this is my first post , I only joined to answer the query you had , I have been watching the site for a while , and decided to take the plunge with something to offer . I recognise several people on the site , some of who will be holding their heads and saying "oh , not him ." Don't worry chaps , I shall try to behave . Mike M
      Who? :) tac www.ovgrs.org
    • March 14, 2009 10:17 AM EDT
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

TAC -

I don't think old Mike will be answering you. That post was 3 years ago :D

He hasn't been on here in a few years. I heard his health had gone away down hill too. Don't know if he's still with us or not.

But you probably knew all that already.

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• March 14, 2009 2:17 PM EDT
      • Deer Park, Washington

• Thanks

I miss Mike. I hope he is well.

Not only does my mind wander, sometimes it walks off completely.

Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me.  I want people to know why I look this way.  I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.  Will Rogers.

• March 14, 2009 4:23 PM EDT
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

He's still kickin'. I hear from him every once in awhile.
    • March 14, 2009 4:49 PM EDT

• Thanks

That's good to know. Thanks Ric!

• March 15, 2009 12:18 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Hmm.... thread was from 3 years ago... now re-awakened... got an email if I had sold my track cleaning loco yet... yep, 3 years ago...

Regards, Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• March 15, 2009 9:42 AM EDT

• Thanks

Funny how these old threads get misinterpreted as new whan they are drug up from the dead. My first clue was the original poster. Haven't seen or heard from the splice master in a long time.

• March 15, 2009 10:27 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Dear All,

Next bell - whistle for the forum: Flashing red "Old Thread" or "Zombie Thread" warning on the "Quick Reply" and "Post a Reply" banners.

The only question is when do you trigger the warning? (e.g. 2 month gap between any adjacent replies, or 5 months since original post?)

Dear Bob,

Thanks for all your expertise, dedication and hard work.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
Forums General Reviews

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google