Large Scale Central

LGB Track Cleaning Locomotive

i have this loco, and honestly feel it is my most important piece of equipment…this loco will get the rail tops of your TRACK POWERED (really any kind of power but no real need for it if it isnt a track powred rail) rails so shiney and clean that you could theoretically shave in the shine!!! the one ‘drawback’ is that you must keep an occasional eye on it when it is working, as it does have a slight tendancy to ‘stall’ on switches (so i’ve heard, i myself have not encoutered that particular discrepancy)…if cleaning VERY dirty track, even if the TCL’s speed is set to minimal, you MAY get ‘zebra stripes’ from the first pass…frankly, other than the apperance, no other cleaning is necessary…however, if the stripes bug you, a second pass (99% of the time) will resolve this…what is highly recommended is that IF you use PWC or PWM, that that feature be switched (if possible) to straight DC power…when used with PWC (aristo type power) the locos warning lights MAY come on, and the loco MAY begin to crawl (no matter what the speed control is set at) but the cleaning wheels themselves (seperate motor from the drive wheels motor) WILL NOT function…straight DC is the way to go with this wonderful machine…regular use of this locomotive (it can double as a switcher easily without the cleanng wheels being engaged) will not only enhance the enjoyment of operating your railroad by actually having a MOW piece of equipment actually WORK, but by enabling your other locos to run without the herky, jerky movement that usually goes hand in hand with dirty track…also, your locomotives wheels stay cleaner longer, inbetween wheel cleanings, again, making operations at even the slowest speed settings, to be an absolute joy to run…the cleaning wheels themselves last a long, long time (based on my use of mine on over 300’ of track) and are totally free wheeling when the track cleaner is in ‘locomotive only’ mode…the average going price is around $400/new, with used units (IF you can find them) averaging approximately $275-$300…a highly recommended MOW piece from this track powered user…:^)