Forums General Reviews
  • Topic: Saw the new aristo pacificado (did not say bought)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 5, 2003 11:41 AM EST

•  
      • Thanks

saw it at my dealers, a B&O version...i did not see it run...what catches the viewers attention is the vandy tender...big, black, and beautiful, it is the nicest tender i have seen...the loco is another matter...remember, i like diesels much more than steamers, so i do not know specifically what i am looking at, just a few general areas of interest to me...i liked the metal side rods but the lack of FULL operating valve gear is a real let down...to me, its the valve gear that is interesting to watch...the wheels LOOKED cheesy to me...maybe they are not, but LOOK like it to me (which really means nothing)...the headlight looks monsterous and out of place IMHO...except for having an xtra set of drivers, it looks like a pacific with a vandy tender...the switches in the cab are fairly easy to access, but the lack of even provisions for fire box glow, ie clear or clear colored plastic molded piece instead of solid black piece, is a turn off...staying in the price range, for a couple hundred more (the price of added mikado sound anyway) i would go for the MTH hudson over the pacificado, and have it ready to go...but then, i am still waiting on the USAT die cast hudson before i make a final determination...
    • February 6, 2003 12:17 PM EST
      • Large Curmudgeon, Ft Gay, WV

• Thanks

Gee Splicer!

Just like a Dismal Dude to check out a lady's rear end first!

Bart Salmons
      WCNG
    • February 6, 2003 9:51 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

i know bart, i know...but when the front is just plain ugly, ya gotta scope out the beautiful rear end!!!hehehe...
    • February 20, 2003 5:20 PM EST
      • Floe Ice, Antarctica

• Thanks

So, you didn't like the drivers, eh?
      You can always buy a tender and convert it for auxilliary fuel for your early dismals.
      Some day I'll tell you about them wheels......
      TOC
    • December 10, 2008 10:15 PM EST
      • Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario, Canada

• Thanks

I'd like to hear about "Them Wheels", Dave........I disliked them when I first saw them, and wondered why Aristo/Polky, put such an ugly set of wheels on that loco......
      I thought it might be time for David to tell the complete story......!!!!
      ....after all it is 5 years later now, and we need a rest from the B'mann gear soap opera......
    • December 10, 2008 10:56 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Yep, it time to give Aristo equal time! ha ha.... If you guys think you were having fun before...

TOC, let us know about these.... I have a funny comment or two to add...

Regards, Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• December 10, 2008 11:11 PM EST
      • Newton, KS

• Thanks

Gee, I like mine just fine! Runs great and smokes darned good. Yep, it's on track power(I'm sooo brave to mention that!)
    • December 11, 2008 9:45 AM EST
      • Large Curmudgeon, Ft Gay, WV

• Thanks

Psst I like mine too........its next on the Butcher Block.....MWUHAHAHAHAHA Uerp...ummm thats next for a 1:20 conversion.....hehehehehe
    • December 11, 2008 3:00 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

I have bought two of them, they are now a single Northern.

But I have reworked the axle fitment and fixed the non-conducting pickups.

Oh, I also regauged it.

Now it runs great.

Regards, Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• December 18, 2008 10:06 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

I like mine a lot. It had some wiring issues, and it doesn't always pick up power as well as it could, but most of the time it runs very well and even though it's just a Pacific with eight drivers, it pulls really strongly. The other day it pulled 16 cars up a 5.5% grade--at least ten times. I was impressed.

I agree the wheels are a little cheesy stock. I painted mine

The problems with the thing--mostly problems I've not had--are well documented. I added smokebox glow, just because I like the way it looks. I repainted an added various details, only some of which are appropriate to a PRR loco. Someday I'll tear it down and get everything just right, add some more power pickup points. Mabe give it a belpaire firebox. It's my favorite engine and it was cheap
    • December 19, 2008 10:10 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Mike, read my site on the Mikado, wiring in Pacific same, your tender trucks do not pick up power... the problems with power to the drivers is more work to fix... and it is bad often. I have that info on my "Prime Mover Basics" page.

Regards, Greg

• December 19, 2008 10:28 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

In the Pacific and Mikados I have seen, the tender pickups do indeed pick up.
      The problem is they send that track power to the battery connectors.

Best wishes,
      Tony Walsham

Remote Control Systems. www.rcs-rc.com/
        Modern technology. Old Fashioned reliability

• March 16, 2009 1:03 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Greg:
      Have you explained anywhere that I could read to fix the gauging problem with the new version Pacific and it's blasted tapered wheel/axle setup.
      I bought a new unit, I being the third owner now, there's less than 10 minutes use on this engine. Now I know why I'm the 3rd owner in quick succession. The drivers are gauged so narrow that this engine cannot even pass over the guard rails on any switch. It does a big leapfrog over them, I mean big. consequently it's not been run. Aristos first comment was that the problem was the switch frogs causing the engines problem, good grief... all my switches have the new frogs they supplied. Even so, this engine is my only one with a gauge problem out of over 100 of them I own.
      I found out that it was sent to Aristo under warranty and returned with a statement saying nothing is wrong with the engine. Obviously even with a description of the problem, it was not run through a switch and/or the gauge being way too narrow was ignored.
      I spent the shipping costs to send it back again this month explicitly stating the problem, and again it was sent back saying they had changed some gears???? Their comment was that this engine had already been sent back once and that there isn't any thing wrong with it. Egads.....still no reference to it's problem of being gauged way too narrow.
      My conclusion as you stated on your site and after close examination is that the tapered fitting in the wheels are a tad too large, or the factory shoves these on too hard, or tightens too hard thus ending up with wheels gauged far too narrow.
      Aristo seems to either deny the problem or refuses to fix. We are hoping that today in fact they would at least send some new tapered fittings so I could press them into the present drivers, after I press out the oversized tapered fittings.

What do you do to correct this problem? As probably I fully expect Aristo to just ignore this again.
      Sending the engine back for a third time seems pretty futile right now.

By the way, up until now, I have never had any problems with Aristo on anything in the past. Lewis is a super guy. I think that the problem with this particular engine has not been brought to Lewis's attention.

Thanks for any help on a fix, as the engine is basically useless right now.

Dick traincrazy Chapple
    • March 16, 2009 1:50 PM EDT
      • Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario, Canada

• Thanks

Dick, my son;

You might ask in a short note on the Aristo Forums, what you should do at this point. The note will probably be quickly pulled, or you could ask at the same time, how to bring this to "Your Friend" Louis' attention.
      The problem exists to this day, and will not go away, with that current design of axle.

As far as the Aristo switches are concerned; has anyone noticed that the frogs on both the "Wide Radius" and the 2 foot radius switches are the same castings..?

While a lot of fine people are blaming the frogs for all the troubles; the main problem is the variable gauging of the wheels, and the WIDE spacing of the guard rails on the switches.
      By cutting off the plastic guard rails and making new ones of brass rail...and screwed to the ties after filing or milling the rail in order to get the correct spacing; you can make the WR switches, at least passable for any sort of operation.
    • March 16, 2009 5:00 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Hi there Fr. Fred:

Hey thanks for the quick reply.
      Super good news to report.
      A call from Aristo informed us that this absolutely was not handled properly at all.
      They will be speaking with the repair personnel involved as enough other complaints have been lodged involving items sent in for repair and being sent back with virtually nothing done.
      They will replace the drive system with a completely new one and replace broken parts due to the engine being returned not wrapped or properly packaged.

Again good news from fine folks.

Now the bushing problem, there does indeed seem to be a problem.
      They are going to inspect the press/presses involved in putting the drivers on the axles to see that the settings are correct. Suspect also is that an order of the bushings used on the drive wheels were an incorrect size. So when the drivers are pressed on, they get pressed on too far.

Anyway, the engine will be new, we'll see if the new set is also gauged too narrow.
      If so, I would like to hear from you Greg when you see this note what you have done to correct this problem.

Though not the main problem, after I replaced all the frogs that were too shallow with the replacement frogs on the ariso wide switches, I have no more stalling of the small engines.

Thankfully, the width of the guard rails on my switches are correct, your suggestion is a good one for the switche guardrail width problems. this one engine out of all of my engines was the sole problem ragarding gauge.
      Thanks again for your input Fred.

PS one major design flaw is to not have a grease hole with a plug for these motor blocks such as Bachmann has done.
      It's a ton of work to inspect these blocks for grease and regrease.
      Dick
    • March 16, 2009 11:40 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Richard, read my web site... check the part on "prime mover basics" on the MOTIVE POWER....ARISTO menus.

Short answers: you can try jamming some brass shim stock between the tapered axle and the wheel, you might be able to get the wheel to run true.

Grant Kerr makes shims that do the job perfectly, but you need to disassemble the motor block.

If you have Aristo switches: there is hope and easy fixes for the 10' Wide Radius. The #6 is a mess, but there are some fixes.

Both of these have extensive writeups on my site, under TRACK...ARISTO....

No grease hole or plug is possible, the gearboxes on the new steamers are completely sealed, again shown in my prime mover page.

Regards, Greg

• March 16, 2009 11:41 PM EDT
      • Newton, KS

• Thanks

Sounds like you came out pretty good Richard, pays off to persevere.
    • March 17, 2009 2:52 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Thanks Jerry, perhaps there may come some kinds of improvements for those of us plagued with tapered wheel shim problem.
      Thank you Greg for responding, I've looked over your stuff over the past few years, apparently overlooked your basics part, I'll look again. Thanks for your help. Yes, the 10' dia switches are easy fixes. I don't own any of the number 6's.
      Happy rails to you.
      Dick
Forums General Reviews

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google